The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: F66r question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Let us assume the text next to the body reads der mus del, a German medieval phrase which has been much discussed elsewhere.
What is the symbol above it?
It is written exactly like thorn (in certain scripts). The angle is wrong for an open-top "p".

The examples of thorn in modern fonts look more like a "p" but in medieval texts, it looks more like a cross between "p" and "y".
Ye , i agree. 
But, does this have any legal or historical association with the phrase der mus del? 
I hypothesised years ago that it might be a cross.
All together.
"y den mus des"

spelled correctly today  "und dann muss das"

meaning:
"and then that"

Which is not said to be what it is.
If it is the "musdel" as the widow's share, then it was found in law books. If any of those were like the Sachsenspiegel, then images would be linked to paragraphs by large letters. In this case, the person who wrote this marginalia was a student (of the law, the language or both) and copied the paragraph marker along with the term.
It's not a paragraph marker. They were never written like that.

Koen, I can see your logic. In the context of a legal citation, it makes sense. But they didn't write paragraph markers like this until about 3 centuries later.
[attachment=4633]
I have also considered "mel" for powder.
If I keep looking around, it pulls the "L" down, but not the "S".
Look at "aller" and "suez"  (all and sweet)
If I take this into account, the context is correct everywhere.
Aga, it's not "s", it's "l". It's a normal "l" ("mel"). Mel means meal/flour/grain or honey.

Also, it is not masher. There is no "h". They didn't write "h" like that. It is "mallier". There are two ell characters (ll) in the same style as on 116v, with an angular loop. The "i" has a long approach stroke (leading serif) like the "i" letters on 116v. I am pretty sure this is the same handwriting as the note on 116v. Look at the "h" on 116v. It has a tail and a rounded hump.

[attachment=4634]

They didn't write "s" like the ell-shape, especially at the ends of words. Look at the "s" at the end of "mus". That is how they wrote "s" at the ends of words.

The long-"s" does not have an angular hook that points down. When it points down , it is rounded.

mallier aller/allor luc'm ho*
Koen, I looked through the pilcrow/capitulum paragraph symbols. There are two that are vaguely like the thorn-like symbol, but it can still be seen that they are intended as reverse-p.

Here's is pic, so you can judge for yourself:

[attachment=4635]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11