The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Cary Rapaport's Voynich art with porcelain and glass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Some time ago I mentioned Cary's art in another thread. It looks like she is going to keep working on Voynich-themed pieces and updating her website, so here's a proper thread.

"Cary Rapaport is a Boston, MA based artist currently working in porcelain sculpture, glass and a range of other media."

On her You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., you can see the five VM pieces she finished so far, based on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . 

[Image: voynich+pool+3+%28larger+size%29.jpg?format=500w]

I'm a big fan of her work, because on the one hand she is working with materials that require a lot of skill and practice to master, and she is constantly aiming to improve her techniques. And on the other hand, I like the way she translates her selected VM images into a 3D medium, taking enough liberties to create something new, but still keeping the spirit of the original.

Currently she is posting updates about her work inspired by f48r: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . Even though it is not finished yet, you can already see the shape of the plant emerging.

For this piece, she will also start experimenting with plasma art, which sounds pretty awesome:

Quote:Beyond the process of “simply” flameworking the shape, I plan that these pieces are going to be filled with inert gases and connected to a high voltage power supply to give them a gas discharge glow, a process that comes with its own set of technical challenges.
Cary updated her progress page with a new video and blog:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I also find it interesting how artists who have to reproduce these images will notice things I hadn't noticed yet myself. For example she points out that on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. the leaves that are standing by themselves all have five "fingers", while those that are in pairs (and actually have less space available) all have six.
Well Koen, now you know what to get me for my birthday, he hinted loudly Big Grin
Hey, you're the one who can afford hand crafted VM facsimiles  Tongue

Also after the "falling plant" incident during one of our interviews I no longer trust you with fragile artwork  Big Grin
Cary just finished her artwork based on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. :

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Make sure to check out the videos on her site, it's a plasma sculpture with interactive light effects which is best appreciated in moving images.
Wonderful.   Shy Shy
Very nice works, I wonder if she thinks about selling them ? Well, probably the objects, if they are for sale, will have their corresponding price Wink
(10-09-2020, 10:02 AM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Very nice works, I wonder if she thinks about selling them ? Well, probably the objects, if they are for sale, will have their corresponding price Wink

She will likely sell them at some point, but she told me she wants to add more works to the series first, and have at least one exhibition. I know nothing about the price range though. I sure wouldn't mind having a plasma Voynich flower on my desk to play around with  Big Grin
Cary is now working on a piece around the "scorpio" critter, with some work in progress videos on her process page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Her work is so much fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8