The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Voynich conference!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Greetings, all,

I am very pleased to announce an open call for papers for a Voynich conference hosted by the University of Malta! The conference will take place online on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

Submissions will be double-blind peer reviewed. Rene and I will be presenting keynote lectures, and Beinecke curator Ray Clemens will present opening remarks. All the information you need is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

- Lisa
Hello Lisa!
Very exciting news! I've made this post sticky until the submission date closes.
Woah this sounds awesome. 

Just out of curiosity, how does the university of Malta come up with the idea of hosting a Voynich conference? Not that I'm complaining  Wink
There are two professors of linguistics there who have been supervising graduate student research on the manuscript, so they're all quite interested in the current state of research.
Thank you Lisa, sounds very exciting!
@LisaFaginDavis
Certainly an interesting undertaking, but also somewhat daring.
What I didn't really understand, is this mainly about new insights gained through modern software? Cryptography, analysis, image processing, speech recognition etc.
Or can everyone just send in their theories about the VM?
(07-03-2022, 08:46 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Woah this sounds awesome. 

Just out of curiosity, how does the university of Malta come up with the idea of hosting a Voynich conference? Not that I'm complaining  Wink

They have already been the topic of some discussions here, see e.g.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
and
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Just a clarification about what this is, and what it isn't. It is meant to showcase the best, new, reliable, evidence-based work. It definitely isn't a free for all where anyone who wants can present their favorite theories. All submissions will be double-blind peer-reviewed by the Program Committee and outside experts. If you are going to submit a proposal, I suggest that you include the evidence in your proposal...if you don't, the reviewers will have no way to know if your work is reliable.
This looks like a smart move by the University of Malta.

There's not much academic competition for VMS research so :
a) UofM can get in at the ground floor, so to speak.
b) If anything tasty turns up at the conference, UofM gets the prestige and kudos.

Just having a Voynich coference is going to get UofM some press attention.

Having some bigwigs in attendance at the UofM like, Beinecke curator Ray Clemens, LFD herself and ReneZ adds gravitas.

And it's another step towards Academic respectability for the VMS, undoing a little of the damage wrought by W.R.Newbold.

So it's wins all round Cake Beer
It looks like the registration page requires logging into a university account... will there be a way for anyone else to access it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10