The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Anyone seen this proposed solution yet? More Hebrew...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This was just published last week by Rainer Hannig...has anyone seen it yet? Another Hebrew claim:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (60-page paper downloadable there)

Still making my way through the German, so can't comment yet.

- Lisa
A few thoughts after a quick review:

1) he distinguishes six, rather than four, gallows, distinguishing the variants of EVA-p and EVA-f in which the cross-stroke ends with a slight curl. Linguists: what do you make of that, in terms of frequency and word-position?
2) he then interprets bench-gallows as the Hebrew letters that take on a hard vocalization when a dot is added.
3) he mentions the directional problem only in a footnote without truly addressing why Voynichese, if it represents phonemic Hebrew,  is written from left to right.
4) he identifies EVA-o at the beginning of a word as they Hebrew prefix "ha", which means "the." Presumably, then, any word that begins with EVA-o is a noun. To the linguists out there...any thoughts on that interpretation?
5) not clear what he does with plain benches...
After all, you can't blame Hannig for "bending" his results until he gets meaningful text. He clearly points out where there are gaps.
He identifies Language A as "definitely Hebrew" but Language B as only "probably" Hebrew
And what does he mean by דּ  and גּ? Do daled and gimel ever actually get a dot? Not in Modern Hebrew, certainly. 

(answer: apparently yes, in ancient Hebrew traditions)
(16-06-2020, 07:04 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....
4) he identifies EVA-o at the beginning of a word as they Hebrew prefix "ha", which means "the." Presumably, then, any word that begins with EVA-o is a noun. To the linguists out there...any thoughts on that interpretation?

The possibility that prefixed [qo] transliterates to /ha/ for Hebrew "the" has been explored. Marco and I have discussed it, and it makes some sense. For example, multiple sequential words in Hebrew can start with /ha/, which mirrors the fact that multiple words beginning [qo] in a sequence. Also, there's a strong suspicion (and a little evidence) that [o] is a vowel. And [q] as /h/ is an interesting idea due to its strict position rules.
(16-06-2020, 07:40 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.And what does he mean by דּ  and גּ? Do daled and gimel ever actually get a dot? Not in Modern Hebrew, certainly. 

In Hebrew, vowels can appear as dots (see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
Yes, of course, but I was referring to his use of the Dagesh to transform letters (e.g. pey/fey, shin/sin). But the real question is whether there are six gallows or four...he distinguishes six, including EVA-p and EVA-f with a slight curl at the end of the crossbar. I'm curious what you all think of that, in terms of frequency and word-placement.
Last comment, and then I'll stop! He interprets several EVA substitutions as actually being phonetically correct (just by co-incidence?), like EVA-k and EVA-t (p. 12).
(16-06-2020, 09:01 PM)LisaFaginDavis Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Last comment, and then I'll stop! He interprets several EVA substitutions as actually being phonetically correct (just by co-incidence?), like EVA-k and EVA-t (p. 12).

I'm in no position to comment since I know nothing about Hebrew. But this has got to be at least like an orange flag.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7