The Voynich Ninja
Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek (/thread-2522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 31-10-2018

Searcher: come to think of it, oladabas would also be a great beast name. Vonden enchytos und vonden oladabas.

Scarecrow: toga anchiton? Interesting. Could you find the page the index refers to? Your sample appears clipped.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Scarecrow - 31-10-2018

The toga anchiton is from Lectionum antiquarum Libri XXX. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Direct jump to toga anchiton.. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Ruby Novacna - 31-10-2018

The subject of "toga anchiton" has already been debated You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. This is "toga an chiton", toga or chiton in Latin. You can read the page 288.

On the other hand, the loosed chiton reminds me of pregnancy.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Oocephalus - 31-10-2018

On "enchytos" I agree that it's probably the wisent (European bison). The description by Albertus Magnus sounds a lot like it, and he says that it defends itself against hunters by spraying its feces, the same story was also told about the wisent. Other versions of Albertus' work spell it "enchires", and it says You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. that the word was "corrupted from 'Centaurus' by the Arabs" (I've read elsewhere that "centaurus" was sometimes mistaken for a bovine, due to the word ending in taurus). If so, this would be a good example of how a word can become unrecognizable by borrowing back and forth between different languages and scripts, with several copying errors in between.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Markus - 26-02-2019

In Greek n ν is always written as g γ but pronounced n when it precedes in the same word another g, a k or a ch. Hence ἐγκρύπτω, I conceal (encrypt) from ἐν in and κρύπτω I hide. When the tense changes and κρύπτω gets an augment,  the g reverts to an n: ἐνέκρυψε, he concealed.

Btw εγκι,  ροχ and ρωχ are not Greek words at all, not even  rare ones. The standard Lexicon, Liddell and Scott, is online at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and accepts input from a standard keyboard.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 27-02-2019

(26-02-2019, 11:54 PM)Markus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In Greek n ν is always written as g γ but pronounced n when it precedes in the same word another g, a k or a ch. Hence ἐγκρύπτω, I conceal (encrypt) from ἐν in and κρύπτω I hide. When the tense changes and κρύπτω gets an augment,  the g reverts to an n: ἐνέκρυψε, he concealed.

I like the example you picked. Very appropriate.  Smile

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 09-03-2020

This is probably a huge stretch, but for what it's worth:

I was thinking, if "anchiton" is a Latinized Greek name or noun, which case could it be? 

Apart from the obvious nominative (e.g. phaenomenon), it could also be an accusative. In that case, it is in our interest to know what the corresponding nominative would be. (I only know about this from the wiki so take this with some care).

"A few Greek nouns in -os, mostly geographical, belong to the second declension, and sometimes make Accusative in -on as Dēlos, Acc. Dēlon (but Dēlum in prose)."

--> in this case, our nominative would be "anchitos" or "anchitus". 

There are also words in -es with accusative -on. Socrates --> Socraton

Googling "anchites" gives some proper names, like the father of Pausanias. Also, an alternative for "anachites" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

which, according to Pliny, is a diamond against sadness Huh

But he used the form "ananciten", which is probably quite far off. Greek nominative ἀναγκίτης

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 09-03-2020

Since you're looking into this, Koen, I should mention something I frequently see in manuscripts...

On the matter of whether something is a hard-h or soft-h sound, often if it was a hard-h, scribes would add a "c" character. It didn't mean "ch" as in English, it was like the "h" in Hebrew or hard-g in Dutch. So, sometimes they wrote it "h" and sometimes they wrote it "ch".

Which means... anchiton might be an alternate spelling of anhiton (or as Jeff Dunham would say, an-phlegm-iton).

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - RenegadeHealer - 10-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 11:38 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Since you're looking into this, Koen, I should mention something I frequently see in manuscripts...

On the matter of whether something is a hard-h or soft-h sound, often if it was a hard-h, scribes would add a "c" character. It didn't mean "ch" as in English, it was like the "h" in Hebrew or hard-g in Dutch. So, sometimes they wrote it "h" and sometimes they wrote it "ch".

Which means... anchiton might be an alternate spelling of anhiton (or as Jeff Dunham would say, an-phlegm-iton).

Indeed, I reckon that ever since the Romans first started using "ch" to transcribe the Greek aspirated [k], the bigram "ch" has overwhelmingly been used as a way to write a non-sibilant fricative produced in the back of the pharynx such as [ç], [font=sans-serif][x], [font=sans-serif][χ], or [font=sans-serif][ħ]. I would bet that[font=sans-serif][font=sans-serif] this still remains the case in most of Europe today, despite the international hegemony of English, French and Spanish, which use "ch" for a [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]sibilant fricative like [font=sans-serif][ʃ] or [font=sans-serif][tʃ]. When I'm trying to sound out a the name of a person of clear European heritage whose name I've never heard before, as a rule "ch" is [k] or [x] until they tell me otherwise, and "j" is the IPA's [j] (i.e. a yod) until they tell me otherwise. I get a lot of pleasantly surprised "You're the first one in a long time to say my name right!" when I follow this rule of thumb.[/font][/font]

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 10-03-2020

Yeah, when I pronounce "anchiton" in my head I say "an[x]iton" with a velar fricative. Kind of like a H with the back of the tongue more towards the back of the throat. For phonetics discussions it's a shame that our lingua franca does not have a sound like this.

If the word is of Greek origin (which we still don't know) this is probably the intended pronunciation.