The Voynich Ninja
Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek (/thread-2522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 23-10-2018

With Anton's current focus on "anchiton", I was prompted to look into ways this word could be a transcription from Greek. Even if another reading of the word (like michiton) is preferred, anything ending in "on" is potentially Greek, as it is both a nominative and accusative ending.

In Germanic languages, "ch" would be used to transcribe Greek "x", since it's the same kind of sound. This would result in something like ανχιτον or ανχιτων. 

A "chiton" is a very common word for tunic ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ). So I wondered if it could mean something like "undressed". However, the prefix "an-" is only possible before vowels, otherwise "a-" is used.

Indeed, the word αχιτων does exist, meaning either "without a tunic" or "ill-clad" (my favorite word of the day).

If this word is meant with "anchiton", it would contain a grammatical mistake.

Now in a recent You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., JKP argues that the least problematic reading of the word would be "m chiton" and he suggests chυτό/Χυτό being some kind of oil lamp (?). But I think it refers to the material as cast iron, from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., "poured".

If it is indeed "m chiton", then I guess it could also be "m tunic".

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 23-10-2018

I actually wouldn't commit myself to anything on the letter(s) before "chiton". The way they are written is too unconventional and unclear and somewhat out of character with the rest of the letters.

The next part is clear enough, however. It could be "chiton" or... could also be two words "chi" "ton" and keep in mind that what is transcribed "ton" from Greek is written in Greek with a letter that looks like a "v" in Latin.

The word does refer to cast iron, but it also refers a little more generically to a variety of cast items, including lamps (since they were common). We do something similar in English. We use "iron" to refer to the metal, but we also use it to mean clothes iron since the original clothing irons were made of iron.

I've often wondered if "pox" might be Greek ροχ or ρωχ. But neither is a common word, at least not by themselves. Sometimes Latin texts will use Greek chi in its original form, so you get rho written as "r", but the "x" left in its original form, but that doesn't yield common Greek words either and it would be weird to follow them with a Germanic word like lebe/leber/leben.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 23-10-2018

But if "chiton" could be a single word (which it might) then wouldn't the type of clothing be a likely candidate? It's still called a chiton in modern English. But then I have no idea what the first part could be (whether it's m or an or mi or whatever).

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - davidjackson - 23-10-2018

My  Tongue

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 23-10-2018

My tunic oladabas

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 23-10-2018

Yes, it could. There's been discussion on this, but I don't know where, I just know someone mentioned it as one of the historic interpretations (maybe it was Nick who mentioned the person who suggested it)?

I don't have time to look it up right now, unfortunately.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Ruby Novacna - 24-10-2018

My tunic oladabas = My tunic olabavath = released
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

P.S. Sorry, I don't managed to insert a Koen's quote

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 24-10-2018

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 24-10-2018

Another blog I had never seen before. It's stunning how many clever people have wrecked their mind over this manuscript.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 24-10-2018

I hadn't see it either, I just remembered someone saying someone else had suggested "tunic" for chiton.

In my early research I made a point of NOT looking at other Voynich blogs and theories. I filtered out the words "VMS" and "Voynich" so I could get to original sources without going through other people's interpretations of what things were. I still do that quite frequently. I tend to filter out "pinterest" as well. It's like having to jump a couple of fences that shouldn't be in the way and it bothers me that Google gives the Pinterest images priority over the original site that OWNS the images. They really shouldn't do that.

I got pulled into Nick's blog a few times not specifically because of the VMS, but because cryptanalysis in general interests me. I'm a puzzle freak; I love puzzles and games. And then I would see comments about the VMS. But I haven't even read 1/10th of what Nick has written except for the most recent blogs.

I got drawn into Bax's site a couple of times also, but I've only read a few of the posts. I haven't looked at most of them. I read yours. I find many of them have a refreshing perspective. I read Marco's although I don't know how long he's been blogging, so if there were earlier ones, I haven't seen them. There are apparently a lot of "previous generation" researchers who had blogs that I don't even know about and on rare occasions I stumble upon them.

I've never read the old "mailing lists" people talk about. I have consulted them a couple of times to verify statements I've seen on this forum, but that's probably not even 1% of 1% of them. From what I understand a lot of discussion went on. I spend most of my time looking at manuscripts. I'm addicted to them.   Rolleyes