The Voynich Ninja
House of Visconti - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Provenance & history (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: House of Visconti (/thread-1951.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: House of Visconti - Vonologia - 19-06-2017

(19-06-2017, 09:59 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-06-2017, 09:30 PM)Vonologia Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

How about this one? 1395-1400. On Plants. World Digital Library.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

That's a wonderful manuscript.
 One more for you. Also World Digital Library. Looking at the handwriting of this book in Old French,
 some familiar shapes show themselves -- especially "numbers." 4 8 9 0 alpha, etc. Provenance not as clear to
House of Visconti.

RE: House of Visconti - -JKP- - 20-06-2017

I've looked through a few versions of Roman de la Rose but I don't think I've seen this one yet.

RE: House of Visconti - MarcoP - 20-06-2017

(19-06-2017, 11:50 PM)Vonologia Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-06-2017, 09:59 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(19-06-2017, 09:30 PM)Vonologia Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

How about this one? 1395-1400. On Plants. World Digital Library.

That's a wonderful manuscript.
 One more for you. Also World Digital Library. Looking at the handwriting of this book in Old French,
 some familiar shapes show themselves -- especially "numbers." 4 8 9 0 alpha, etc. Provenance not as clear to
House of Visconti.

Hello Vonologia, I would appreciate if you could elaborate your points a bit Smile

The first manuscript you linked (On Plant, Casanatense 459) has been mentioned a few times on this forum, for instance You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. Rene compares the size of several manuscripts (see Q and Z).

If your point is that the Voynich ms bears some similarity with European medieval herbals, I certainly agree. But I think there are other manuscripts that make for an even better match than Casanatense 459. The Visconti ms is a kingly book of astounding artistic quality and luxury. The Voynich ms is a small book of non-excellent artistic quality, with no gilding and holes in the parchment. It really looks closer to more popular products of the time, e.g. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (letter V, in Rene's size comparison, search You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. for all images).

Your point about the second manuscript you linked (Walters Ms. W.141, Le pèlerinage de la vie humaine, France, 1370 ca) seems to be that you see some resemblance between the Voynich script and some European medieval scripts. If so, I agree with that too. The relation of this ms with the Visconti escapes me completely.

RE: House of Visconti - ReneZ - 20-06-2017

The "De Plantis" MS (Casanatense 459) was indeed produced around the court of the Visconti.
It was from the same workshop as one of the copies of "Tacuinum Sanitatis", namely the one now in Liege:

Edit: Marco already has a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  about this MS.