The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: More mathematical musings in the Rosette folio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I add this post to Voynich talk as I believe it is not strictly imagery analysis and a similar post (Anton’s star counting activities) is placed in this thread here too.

Staying with simple maths & musings after the geometry of the rosette folio with (i) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., (ii) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.and (iii) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. for primary landmarks, I had a first look onto more ‘ornamental style’ characteristics in the Rosette folio.
As shown in the annotated screenshot I provide here the numbers of asterisks per corner rosette:

Observations

I) overall count: 0, 24, 96, 120 (counterclockwise)

II) two factorials 4! (=24) and 5! (=120), (actually three factorials if you count 0=1!)

III) the sum of stars in the right two corner rosettes (216) equal the cube of 6 or (3!) cubed, or 3³ + 4³ + 5³ (based on a Pythagorean triple...)

IV) but more surprising was the fact that the sum of the two bottom sums of asterisks equal the sum of the two top ones (or the single top right corner one), (see screenshot, left)

Question
Are the numbers and their distribution random or not? 
If you look at the detail (screenshot top right), it looks like effort went onto making the figures right, although I believe there can be no final proof on that.

May it indicate a balance or equilibrium (with a certain flow of matter between areas in the folio)? Highly speculative

What may the asterisks stand for?
I suggested arable land/pasture You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (.... It displays what we believe could be fields (‘earth’, as in agricultural use) indicated with a star or asterisk sign,  .... April 18, 2015 – 8:24 pm)  although that would not fit with my climate diagram suggestion of ‘dry’ (African climate) and Northern Africa (Egypt in particular) being a rich part of the world in terms of agriculture. It may indicate (a degree of) forestation for example? It reminded me of geography at school with maps of arable land/forestation (see screenshot bottom right)

Obviously, there are asterisks not just in the corner rosettes, but also in the centre (71) and the three of the four in-between rosettes (cf classical Elements in my suggestion), although it gets more complicated there: One rosette is not completely unfolded (cf Fire, 9 am) and colour codes (asterisks on layers of yellow or not) make the analysis on musings more difficult...
Yes this looks nicely pythagorean. I would note that 24, 96 and 120 are all divisible by 3 and 4. The fact that the number of asterisks in other sets is not suggestive (like 71) might mean that this 24-96-120 pattern was incorporated as an idle by-the-by.
(02-08-2016, 02:23 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yes this looks nicely pythagorean. I would note that 24, 96 and 120 are all divisible by 3 and 4. The fact that the number of asterisks in other sets is not suggestive (like 71) might mean that this 24-96-120 pattern was incorporated as an idle by-the-by.

I am not so sure the central 71 asterisks and the others are an doodling effect... 71 (as prime) and the others per rosette (and the way they are ordered on (partly) colourful backgrounds may prove to be more of an effort nevertheless. On the other hand, one should be careful to over-state the effect and read anything into it, but at this stage I don't want to exclude a meaning either. Just look/google for 71 (or 72) with adequate other info ( e.g. numerology etc) and you will be awash with meanings of numbers of e.g. biblical, and other background.
Actually I did just that and failed to find any meaning for 71  Smile
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

just some random stuff that came up looking for 71
The problem with the random stuff is just that it is often irrelevant.

The first link actually is about seventy, not seventy one.

The second link is about Hinduism, which does not seem to be applicable to the centre of the Rosettes. And the fact that Socrates died at 71... well many people die each day at 71, so no exclusivity resides with Socrates.

The third link says that 71 is business-oriented. Was the creator of the VMS business-oriented? Well, I'd say he was Big Grin
Quote:I am not so sure the central 71 asterisks and the others are an doodling effect... 71 (as prime) and the others per rosette (and the way they are ordered on (partly) colourful backgrounds may prove to be more of an effort nevertheless. On the other hand, one should be careful to over-state the effect and read anything into it, but at this stage I don't want to exclude a meaning either. Just look/google for 71 (or 72) with adequate other info ( e.g. numerology etc) and you will be awash with meanings of numbers of e.g. biblical, and other background.

Quote:Actually I did just that and failed to find any meaning for 71

Neverthless, I've counted 70 obvious asterisks and 2 - suspected, though I'm not sure what is under the spots of colour.

"... the 72 disciples who were sent out by Jesus to proclaim His message. Why 72? What is significant about this number? Think back to what we said about the importance of typology. The symbolism of such a number is not accidental. In the Old Testament book of Numbers, we read of Moses having selected 70 elders to assist him in carrying out his work. These 70 elders came to Moses and were anointed for service. We read, “So Moses went out and told the people what the LORD had said. Gathering seventy elders of the people, he had them stand around the tent. The LORD then came down in the cloud and spoke to him. Taking some of the spirit that was on Moses, he bestowed it on the seventy elders; and as the spirit came to rest on them, they prophesied.” (Numbers 11:24-25.) However, there were two additional men who were chosen to go up to the tent with the others: “two men, one named Eldad and the other Medad, were not in the gathering but had been left in the camp. They too had been on the list, but had not gone out to the tent; yet the spirit came to rest on them also, and they prophesied in the camp.” (Numbers 11:26.) Thus, the number of elders who are anointed by the LORD to assist Moses in his work among the people of Israel is actually 72."

[Image: attachment.php?aid=453]
(03-08-2016, 06:30 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Neverthless, I've counted 70 obvious asterisks and 2 - suspected, though I'm not sure what is under the spots of colour.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=453]

Thanks for checking! I did count the top one in the red circle (hence 71) - I didn't spot/see the bottom left one. I am not convinced that the bottom left one is an asterisks (and an extension of the blue 'blurb') though that doesn't mean I am correct and it could be one (would be interesting to see what others think about that one). I played with different filters too (saturation/contrast) which sort of let me count the top one in, but not the bottom one.

72 (if that were to be right) had so many interpretations...(you already provided some). The wikipedia page (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) gives some indication, amonst which are astronomy, etc... and in the spirit of my suggestion there are supposedly 72 names of Jerusalem (in Hebrew).
In addition.
Forgot to mention the 72 paranatellons.

Astrotheology:

"Why do the chronological events describing the supposed life of Jesus Christ in the New Testament run perfectly parallel to the ancient allegorical understanding of the Sun’s journey through the houses of the zodiac? John 14:2 says that in the Father’s house there are many rooms or many mansions; 12 to be more precise – the 12 houses or rooms of the zodiac. There are also 72 extra-zodiacal constellations known as the paranatellons. This is why Jesus is said to have officially had 12 servants with 72 others that also carried the message. The 72 angels on Jacob’s ladder and the 72 nations in Genesis also relate to these 72 decans, 1 for every 5 degrees of the zodiac. It serendipitously takes 72 years to move 1 degree through the zodiacal precession of the equinoxes. Hence Confucious (6th century BC - China) had 72 initiated disciples and Set (ancient Egypt) had 72 accomplices in the death of Osiris."

Theology, religion:

“Now there were set there six jars of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews..” (John 2:6)

Is it significant that there were six jars?  Yes, otherwise it would not be written in the Scripture.  The number six is the number of man, since man was created on day six.  Man was made from the dust and the stone jars are symbolic of our flesh.  When Jesus turned the water into wine it was a miracle in the literal sense because the wedding feast did not run out of wine.  It was also symbolic of the new spiritual life Jesus would soon bring to man.  This life would begin with an inner renewal of the spirit within our bodies. 
Re Numbers, I very much doubt that the two men are "additional". Numbers 11:16 does not tell anything about additional men, I have an impression that those are included in these seventy.
Pages: 1 2 3