The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Matching planet labels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Not sure if this belongs to Astrology or Astronomy  Dodgy

I've spent a few days learning about possible ways of matching planets on f67r2 and created a rather lengthy page about this. It's my first attempt writing about VMS, hope you enjoy it! There are pictures, and charts and even some computer noises  Rolleyes

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Quick summary of the most interesting results:

The chart on f67r2 has a very distinct pattern of planetary labels with a four-in-a-row sequence: 111101010100, that resembles actual astronomical or
astrological charts. If this chart depicts a real astrological or astronomical configuration we can make some guesses about which label belongs to which
planet, considering only where the labels are placed on the circle without trying to interpret the labels themselves.

I tried recreating various astrological patterns and comparing them to f67r2 and found a good match with a partial domicile chart. After this I
encountered the same pattern in 1490x - 1500x editions of De Sphere Mundi. If it's the same pattern, in Voynich manuscript it's rotated 160 degrees
clockwise (putting Jupiter on top).

I've also simulated real sky configurations of the XI - XV centuries and compared them to VMS and De Sphaere Mundi charts.

It's possible to create potential mappings between various labels on f67r2 and astrological/astronomical concepts using this information.

It's hard to put any exact probabilities on these mappings, but overall they look like an interesting venue for in-depth research.

Attaching an image that shows f67r2 with the domicile planetary chart from De Sphaere Mundi put over it, and the label correspondence between two charts.
BTW, I would love to add the highlights with pictures here to make it simper to discuss the whole thing, but my past attempts of adding pictures to posts on voynich.ninja produced horrible results, the images would make the page wider than the screen and the whole thread got unreadable. Could someone help with some advice on how to do this properly?
(10-10-2023, 05:55 AM)oshfdk Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.BTW, I would love to add the highlights with pictures here to make it simper to discuss the whole thing, but my past attempts of adding pictures to posts on voynich.ninja produced horrible results, the images would make the page wider than the screen and the whole thread got unreadable. Could someone help with some advice on how to do this properly?

I always down-size pictures before posting. I use irfanview (Windows) for that, but there are certainly many other tools.
(10-10-2023, 06:59 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I always down-size pictures before posting. I use irfanview (Windows) for that, but there are certainly many other tools.

Thank you! What width in px should I aim for?
I found that 950 is good
Let's give it a try. I've just found two more examples of the planetary chart in various editions of De Sphaere. One from 1494 shows the same domicile-based pattern I noticed in ~1500 edition. It even has the planet names spelled out, helps to remove any confusion about unreadable symbols. The other from 1559 shows an unremarkable pattern with all planets in sequence with no attempt to match the domiciles.

Full-res image: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Books themselves:
~1494, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
1559, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(10-10-2023, 05:55 AM)oshfdk Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.BTW, I would love to add the highlights with pictures here to make it simper to discuss the whole thing, but my past attempts of adding pictures to posts on voynich.ninja produced horrible results, the images would make the page wider than the screen and the whole thread got unreadable. Could someone help with some advice on how to do this properly?

Sorry, this took a little while to put together. I hope it helps. This can be tricky and it isn't easy or quick, as near as I have been able to determine, but I'll share some tips I have learned.

First, if you go to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. page here, you will find a page called You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. In the list, you will find two codes for adding images to your posts, one for adding the image as is and one for adding the image and adjusting its size within the post. There is also a button in the post editor options for adding images that does the same thing but without making you write the code (the button may work better than typing the code directly). These codes work if you already have the image uploaded somewhere and can insert the image's direct link. The resizing height and width is done in pixels not inches or centimeters so you really have to play around with it to figure out the best resizing.

Here is an example, as is, from your link in your initial post this thread (on the linked page, I simply chose an image, right clicked on it to see the shortcut menu, and clicked on Open image in new tab to view the image separately and obtain its direct link):

[Image: vmsplanets.jpg]

This of course is very large so you will need to resize. Here is what the same image is resized to 50 pixels width by 50 pixels height (obviously some adjustments are needed as the original image is a rectangle and the resized is a square and therefore skewed but you can use the Preview Post button to play around with the resizing until you have it where you want it before posting):

Alternatively, the direct link for this image shows me the picture resolution (in the browser tab/window title bar), which is 2500 x 1350. However, I found that this resolution is not the actual resolution of your image there. When I right click on the image in the direct image link and click on Inspect to open the DevTools window, I find the image is actually 1216 x 657 as uploaded to your site (but if you right click and save the image, it saves as 2500 x 1350). I can then calculate, say, 50% resizing, or 608 x 328 (not 328.5 as you have to use whole numbers) and get this:

But none of these options give you the image size in inches or centimeters. So a final alternative is to resize the image on your computer first, using whatever image program you work with (I work with Windows Paint myself so I can resize by percentage and then check the inch size in the image properties), then use the post Attachments upload option to upload the image and insert the resized image in your post. If I save your image to my computer, it is 2500 x 1350 or 26.04 inches x 14.06 inches. When I resize down to 25%, it becomes 625 x 338 or 6.51 inches x 3.52 inches. I can also see the size in centimeters in Windows Paint instead.
(10-10-2023, 07:59 AM)merrimacga Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Sorry, this took a little while to put together. I hope it helps. This can be tricky and it isn't easy or quick, as near as I have been able to determine, but I'll share some tips I have learned.

Thank you! This looks impressive. I can't try this now, because the mobile internet I'm using is very slow and unreliable. I had to compress images to under 200k to have any chance of uploading them here   Confused

I'll try following your walkthrough later.
It's well written! How did you make the town square image? :) 

Do you think you will publish more in the future? In that case, it would be good to have your site added to the blogosphere reader, which is in urgent need of some fresh blood. If it works with GitHub, at least.
(10-10-2023, 10:38 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's well written! How did you make the town square image? Smile 

Do you think you will publish more in the future? In that case, it would be good to have your site added to the blogosphere reader, which is in urgent need of some fresh blood. If it works with GitHub, at least.

The town square is Stable Diffusion + a simple editor for captions. Looks so-so, I made 15 attempts trying to persuade it to leave only a handful of people and put them on separate circular lines. I really hope DALLE-3 will be better at this, I like visual props.

I will publish if there is anything to publish Smile It was my first time when tinkering with Voynich ideas produced something worth sharing. Is something needed from me to connect the blogosphere thing?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13