The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Folio 8r
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Several attempts to identify the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. plant from the picture have been made including on this forum.
Two years ago I suggested reading the words in line 19 shol.kaiin as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. the name of the Scammony plant.
My proposition did not elicit any comments, so I'm reopening the discussion: 
do you think the plant depicted can be scammony ?
[attachment=7173]

The plant is real, or at least close to it.

I just have not found any medical evidence, and the name is also not quite clear.
Is this it?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
wall lettuce - lactuca muralis - mycelis muralis
Good one  Yes
Thanks Nablator
I'll take it that way.

Looks good
Next step, Regional names and was it used medicinally.
I personally feel like "was it used medicinally" is almost irrelevant since they used everything medicinally. Even poisonous plants like aconite. If the doctor prescribed that it was necessary for you to vomit, he could give you some medicine, i.e. poison, to induce the vomiting. So discovering that something was used medicinally is basically the same as finding it in a source.
It should be noted that in Mycelis muralis only the basal leaves show a resemblance to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . The stem leaves look quite different. But this does not necessarily mean anything. Nothing speaks against showing the basal leaves here.
(28-01-2023, 09:03 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Next step, Regional names and was it used medicinally
Is this your new proposal for the identification of the plant?
Do you also have an idea of the name in the text?
It is at least a possibility when compared visually.
To look for names in the VM text already now is too early for me. First I have to have several regional names of the plant.
Behind one name can be different plants, just so one plant can have different names. Often hidden in the name is a hint about what it was used for. Toothwort, woundwort, lungwort, painwort.......   Zahnwurz, Wundklee, Lungenkraut, Schmerzwurz.......

As Koen says, many herbs were used. But a proof would be an additional confirmation here.
Sometimes it helps if I simply append the word "alpina" to a technical name.
Plants in the Alps always look a little different. Mostly they are smaller. For me, the reason for this is the presumed origin of the VM.
Example:
Latuca muralis.....Latuca alpina.

[attachment=7174][attachment=7175]

Latuca alpina.
Pages: 1 2 3