The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Athena prorogator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. I proposed to read the words pykedy (1B) olfchedy (4B) in the first line of 78v as Πηνιτις αφετις, where Πηνιτις, weaver, would be an epithet of Athena and αφετις (αφετης) could be an astrology term - prorogator (LSJ).
I tried to search for information on the net with very little return:
  1. Prorogator, aphete or hyleg are the synonymous terms used in horoscopes ;
  2. Athena, as a virgin, can replace Artemis to designate the Moon.

I know that very few members of this forum accept the possibility of mono-alphabetic coding for the manuscript, nor the Greek or Latin language, nevertheless I ask the question: do you have some knowledge on the use of these terms in astrology?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is a section about the prorogator (In Ptolemy’s theory of future times: prorogator, Lord of Nativity) :

Quote:“..the special properties of time must be investigated according to what is peculiar in the births and according to the already explained general method, which is based on the main prorogator”– the term is aphètes, from aphìemi, which means to let go, to send out, and with the Latin word, prorogator, significator, moderator-.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(08-09-2022, 04:12 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. I proposed to read the words pykedy (1B) olfchedy (4B) in the first line of 78v as Πηνιτις αφετις, where Πηνιτις, weaver, would be an epithet of Athena and αφετις (αφετης) could be an astrology term - prorogator (LSJ).
I tried to search for information on the net with very little return:
  1. Prorogator, aphete or hyleg are the synonymous terms used in horoscopes ;
  2. Athena, as a virgin, can replace Artemis to designate the Moon.

I know that very few members of this forum accept the possibility of mono-alphabetic coding for the manuscript, nor the Greek or Latin language, nevertheless I ask the question: do you have some knowledge on the use of these terms in astrology?

I don't know a specific reference to "Athena Prorogator", but it is true that her attributes are lunar and interchangeable with Artemis - although Athena is goddess of the polis and Artemis of wild places. 

In a nativity the prorogator is the ruling planet that determines, it is said, the longevity of the native. There were different methods for determining and calculating this. 

Weaving symbolism enters this, though, because Athena is goddess of weaving, but also because the moon is said to "weave" (and unweave) in her phases. We see this in the Odyssey - the weaving and unweaving of Penelope (with Athena her sponsor and Odysseus' guide) is distinctly lunar.

(Some Athenean mythological motifs and patterns enter into Western astrology, implicitly or explicitly, where Hephaestus (Vulcan) is the Sun, Gea (Earth) is the Ascendant and Athena is the Moon.)
(08-09-2022, 04:36 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In Ptolemy’s theory of future times: prorogator, Lord of Nativity
What is clear is that it is not in a few days that I could understand astrology.
(08-09-2022, 10:28 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In a nativity the prorogator is the ruling planet that determines, it is said, the longevity of the native
Could there be a potential link between this term and the images in Q13?
(09-09-2022, 04:39 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.What is clear is that it is not in a few days that I could understand astrology.
Yes, the article is a bit "bulky" but I could not find anything else that offers more than a few explanations of terms ( prorogator, aphètes ). Maybe the link to Ptolemy`s Quadripartite brings something more, but I have not read it myself.
(09-09-2022, 04:46 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(08-09-2022, 10:28 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.In a nativity the prorogator is the ruling planet that determines, it is said, the longevity of the native
Could there be a potential link between this term and the images in Q13?

Possible, yes. 

Any possible link would depend upon the nymphs representing the degrees of the zodiac. It is (highly) arguable that this is what is shown in the zodiac pages. In that case, different degrees have different strengths and powers.  Some degrees mark 'dignities' and 'exaltations' or else 'debilities' of the various planets (and Ascendant). (The 21st degree of Libra is the exaltation of Saturn, for instance.) To determine the proragator (hyleg) you have to assess the strength of each planet. The proragator is then the strongest planet in any given case. 

In Ptolemaic astrology only the Sun, Moon and Ascendant are usually considered, or else the Part of Fortune (a synthetic Soli-Lunar point) or else in some cases the New Moon prior to the nativity. A (clunky) system of points was developed to assess the relative powers of each. 

The most important idea is that the planet in hyleg is the "divine spark of life" or a spark of the Divine Light. If that spark is strong = long life. It is a measure of innate vitality. The astrologer searches the nativity for the spark of life and measures its strength. 

As a general point I take it that the Voynich MS. is vitalistic in this way and presents a vitalistic cosmology. 

On my own reading of the nymphs and Q13 I see the nymphs as personifications of the mountain alpenglow - the very first rays of light to illumine a mountain peak and make it light up like a candle - which would indeed have a ready correspondence with the astrological phenomenon of the proragator (hyleg) because the symbolism of the alpenglow is that of "spark of Divine Light".) 

But you won't understand this correspondence without seeing the nymphs as mountain nymphs personifying the alpenglow and without understanding the symbolism of the alpenglow (which I regard as one of the keys to the work.) There is a ready and natural correspondence between the alpenglow and the proragator in astrology. Both represent the spark of Divine Light.   So in that case we might expect text about these astrological matters in that part of the text. 

I think you are making astute suggestions Ruby. This is one of them. I at least can see how text regarding the proragator would be relevant in Q13. It is worth pursuing.
If the word olfchedy is the astrological term aphete, as I propose, the word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. from 40v "toees.chedy.kedy.olfchedy ..", can be bous for βους - the constellation Taurus.
(11-09-2022, 10:55 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If the word olfchedy is the astrological term aphete, as I propose, the word You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. from 40v "toees.chedy.kedy.olfchedy ..", can be bous for βους - the constellation Taurus.

Outside of an astrological context the word "bull" and cognates could be metaphorical and have many meanings, but in any astrological context it will refer to Taurus (either the tropical sign or the sidereal constellation.) So, yes, if you take olfchedy as the astrological term aphete then in that context you could find a word meaning 'bull' = Taurus. 

In general, I expect that Taurus is important in the work because mythologically the nymphs come from the Pleaides - which is to say that is the direction from which the rain comes. Also, we find several divisions of the circle into eight parts in the Voynich astrological sections, which places emphasis upon the kerubic (or "fixed") signs of the zodiac (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius). 

Further on the word "weaver", Ruby, in the context you propose I think it would most likely refer to the proragator as syzygy. To explain: sometimes the proragator (the Divine spark) is not indicated in the actual nativity (thema) but is found in the New Moon (or Full Moon) immediately prior to the time and date of the nativity. Calling the moon "weaver" in that context would make some astrological sense.
I found in Bouché-Leclercq's "L'astrologie grecque" that comparisons of Greek gods to planets or constellations should be sought in the Allegories of Homer by Heraclides of Pontus or by A. Krichenbauer. 
I have not yet found these texts
Pages: 1 2 3