The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Text and context
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I entirely appeciate the virtues of tackling Voynichese context-free -  such studies are of course necessary and valuable - but I don’t understand why people can be allergic to bringing context to the conundrum.

My methodological model calls for an alignment of text, context and subtext, and I happily alternate between taking a microscope and then a telescope to the problem. The difficulty is a bit like that posed by particle physics: the laws that govern the micro level don’t knit with the laws that govern the macro. The quest is for a general theory.

Contextually, I am led to the conclusion that the language in question must be/should be/ought to be, Ladin. Others have come to the same conclusion. I am strongly of the view that the contextual evidence points to that.

But textually, the text doesn’t map to Ladin (or any other known language.) On the face of it, it least of all resembles a Romance language. There are decypherment theories abroad about “Old Latin” to which Ladin might conform, but it’s a stretch. Nothing like that fits cogently without a lot of massaging.

Nevertheless, I think what we see is an attempt to create a writing system for Ladin. I suspect our problems might lie more with the script rather than with the language.

Moreover, from context, I expect the content to be a sort of survey, with a lot of measurements and numbers generated by systematic studies, which may explain why the text seems like a sort of artificial lexicon with excessive repetition and combinatorics. Such things are less a feature of the language and more the result of the content.

I then test contextual hypotheses against the context-free reality of the text. If there’s no way to legitimately construe the data to the proposed context, it’s back to the drawng board.

But I certainly want to narrow the search with a contextual frame and think that constructive speculation about context is an important part of the slow two-step towards a solution.

I watched Stephen Bax on Voynich Ninja recently. I share some of his views. The script could be an attempt to craft a writing system for a previously oral-only language  (he cited the Armenian script as an example.) He makes useful comments about that scenario.

His priviso is that it is a language community with an intellectual need for a script – at which point he wanders off to talk about Hungarian.

That is the point at which I want to apply a contextual focus and argue that Ladin had such an intellectual need in the relevant period (and in a region that is a strong candidate as the relevant locale.)

I am encouraged to discover that there is evidence that Ladin was first put to writing in limited ways as early as the 1300s (although our first extant samples are from 1700s.) The Ladin were overtaken by history and never formed a viable national identity, but there were times when Ladin was not as marginal a tongue as it is today.

The specific context I point to is the 1450s when Nicholas of Cusa was prince-bishop of Brixen and very famously came to blows with Verena von Stuben and the Ladin speaking Benedictine nuns of Sonnenberg, a squirmish in which the Ladin of Val Badia were the meat in the sandwich, as the saying goes. (It’s the same period in which the Ladin and their traditions were the focus of the rising tide of witch hunts.)

In any case, I readily admit the difficulties of matching the text to this (or any other) context. (And my own limitations with linguistics.) But for me, that is the way forward: text/context/text/context. Focus in. Stand back. (Bearing in mind the complications of subtext. There has to be motive, not just means and opportunity.)

Again: context-free studies are great. But I think it is useful to bring a contextual lens – or many – to the data, back and forward, searching for an unforced and cogent alignment.

The research problems are manifold. For a start, the modern presentation of Ladin is not a revealing guide to the language in the 1450s. Can anyone direct me to previous Voynich-Ladin studies that might help, even if to show how little it resembles Voynichese?
(16-07-2022, 01:17 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The script could be an attempt to craft a writing system for a previously oral-only language
I find it highly improbable. When an oral language starts to be written they use to take the written system of a near written language (by proximity, commerce, the language of their conquerons ...). There is no need to craft a whole system, it is easier to addapt a known system of reproducing sounds to the sounds of the oral language, it is a question of economy.
(16-07-2022, 01:17 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I entirely appeciate the virtues of tackling Voynichese context-free -  such studies are of course necessary and valuable - but I don’t understand why people can be allergic to bringing context to the conundrum.

I'm probably not understanding what you mean by context, since I don't know what basis you have for saying people are allergic to it.  A lot of researchers try to look for clues in the imagery that might provide information on the Voynich's context, in the hope that it will help us decipher the script.

If by context you mean language, i.e. speculating that Voynichese is Language X and approaching decipherment from that perspective, then yes, there's definitely a good rationale for being allergic to that at this stage when we know so little.  

Many people think the largest obstacle to deciphering the Voynich is the sheer impenetrability of the script, especially the bizarre behaviour of many of its glyphs.  But that only comes a close second in my view.  The real largest obstacle to decipherment is how easy it is to read any language into Voynichese, and then fall prey to confirmation bias that leads you to ignore contradictory evidence and decide you have definitely found the answer.  Spending hours or weeks or years working towards a dead end and trapping yourself there may sound harmless, but it means losing your chance of finding the real solution.

In short: if you're set on going into the labyrinth, make sure you have a thread to find your way back!
(16-07-2022, 11:56 AM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(16-07-2022, 01:17 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The script could be an attempt to craft a writing system for a previously oral-only language
I find it highly improbable. When an oral language starts to be written they use to take the written system of a near written language (by proximity, commerce, the language of their conquerons ...). There is no need to craft a whole system, it is easier to addapt a known system of reproducing sounds to the sounds of the oral language, it is a question of economy.

I think it is improbable too. After all, Ladin is Latin-like by any measure so the obvious thing to do is use the Latin script. As you say, there is no need to craft a whole system. Unless the script is meant to look antique, perhaps, and is posing as an old Latin script? Again: improbable. 

But I can't find any probable reason to create a new script in any scenario, so whatever the truth it is likely to be improbable. 

Still, one known scenario where people might go to the trouble of creating a new script is when bringing an oral tongue into writing. This might especially be the case if it is felt existing scripts don't capture the phonology of the oral language. I note that by some studies many of the peculiarities of Voynichese might be explained as phonic systems and transformations based on euphony and other phonic considerations. I also note the shifting "dialects" of Voynichese - Ladin actually being a cluster of kindred dialects. That is, the ms. might reflect two (or more) dialects of Ladin. 

But we know from history that when Ladin did start to be written down, the Roman script proved perfectly adequate. I admit I don't have any evidence the Ladin ever sought or ever experimented with a distinct script.
The historical context, illustrations and other factors lead me to identify Ladin as the most likely language for such a work. 

The wrong way to explore that possibility is to start picking out Voynich words that might look like Ladin words. I don't use that method. I'm allergic to translating random Voynich words. 

The task, rather, is to explain how Ladin might have mapped to the Voynich text, according to what conventions? If it can't be done, then it can't be done. But the unique script complicates things no end and we still lack a full knowledge of the structures and behaviours of the text. 

I am generally inclined to the view that Voynichese is a natural language, just by a process of elimination. But what has happened to it? What transformations did the plaintext go through to get into this state? 

It is certainly labyrinthine, but the way through a labyrinth is to pick a wall, left or right, and keep following it. If you change walls, you're lost. I personally think Ladin is a hunch worth pursuing all the way. It might be wrong, but it is way more likely than many other languages on offer. 

I know what you mean though: one day it looks like Greek, the next day an abjad. It is remarkably ambiguous and suggestive and the text can be mirage-like.
(16-07-2022, 12:30 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.But I can't find any probable reason to create a new script in any scenario, so whatever the truth it is likely to be improbable.
Some reaons:
Some kind of heretic content. 
If the imaginery is full of hidden contents, why not to create a script to hide the text too and protect the imaginery?
Maybe there is no reason to create it appart from the pleasure of doing it, they did it because they could.
(16-07-2022, 01:01 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The wrong way to explore that possibility is to start picking out Voynich words that might look like Ladin words. I don't use that method. I'm allergic to translating random Voynich words. 

Since I am using the method of translating the individual VM words, using the transcriptional alphabet I adopted from EVA by changing EVA-q to p, p to sv, f to zv, m to il, I can tell you there are many advantages, however, you have to start with those that appear most frequently, because those words can give you a lot of information about the language, location, grammar. It can give you also a lot of information about the content of the text, regardless of the pictures. I have seen many theories that the VM is about the women's health, but no words were offered either for 'a woman' or for 'health', or 'healing'. The same could be said for the ideas about the stars: Dr. Bax transcribed them with his alphabet, but he really could not come up with a single name of the star in any language, because his assumption was wrong. Because of some similarity of script in the marginalia and the names of the months, it has been assumed that the language might be Ladin. As Petersen pointed out, the Ladin in 15th century was different than it is today, a lot more Slovenian words were used. Slovenian was also the language spoken in Tyrol, Carinthia, Veneto, Friuly. You can ask yourself why first European multilingual dictionaries included Slovenian, but not Ladin? 
However, as you said, translating just the individual words is not enough, because they can mean the same thing, or different thing in different language. They can also have different meanings. To work on the VM text, it is a process of going back and forth, to compare how individual words fit into text. 
You mention the process of elimination: One way some VM researchers eliminated Latin was based on EVA-q followed by o, instead of u. In my transcription, I read the first two words as PO and I cannot eliminate Latin based on this, since there are as many Latin words that start with PO as they are Slovenian.  However, there are other linguistic clues.
(16-07-2022, 12:30 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.But I can't find any probable reason to create a new script in any scenario, so whatever the truth it is likely to be improbable. 

In the Middle Ages people were taught the works of Isidore of Sevilla, and Hrabanus Maurus, and both taught, in slightly different versions, that:
- Hebrew writing was invented by Enoch - Cham - Moses
- Syrian (Syriac) writing was invented by Abraham
- Greek writing was invented by Cadmos (with later additions)
- Roman (Latin) writing was invented by the Nymph Carmentis.

Obviously, nowadays we do not learn such fables in school, but that was what people were taught in the middle ages. It is probably what prompted someone called Aethicus to invent his own alphabet around the second half of the eight century. This alphabet was listed in a famous work by the traveller Mandeville, where he called it the C(h)aldaean alphabet.

One tentative motivation therefore presents itself: to be known as the inventor of a new alphabet, and get your name on that list.
(16-07-2022, 01:17 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don’t understand why people can be allergic to bringing context to the conundrum.

Who are these people? If you are not specific, we don't have a chance to help you with the things that you don't understand.

(16-07-2022, 01:17 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The specific context I point to is the 1450s 

The manuscript has been carbon dated to 1404-1438. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. let us know that a medieval costumes expert (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. from the Morgan Library) dated the costumes of Virgo and Sagittarius to the 1420’s.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. published extensive research on the costumes that also confirmed the 1400-1430 period.

Something as late as the 1450s is immensely less likely than the time-frame pointed out by carbon dating.

Moreover, the manuscript is small and of average quality. It does not look like something made for a Prince-Bishop, but like a notebook made for personal use by an individual or maybe a family (something like a hausbuch).

(16-07-2022, 01:01 PM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The historical context, illustrations and other factors lead me to identify Ladin as the most likely language for such a work. 

The manuscript contains both Italian (e.g. swallow-tail merlons) and German (e.g. crossbow-sagittarius, color annotations) elements. Therefore I see areas between Italy and Germany as the most likely candidates (though other places are of course possible). The Ladin-speaking area is a possibility, but I don't see why it should be preferred to German-speaking or Italian-speaking border areas (e.g. the Canton of Lucerne, Northern Tyrol, Trento). I haven't seen any specific evidence suggesting the Ladin language and the corresponding area in particular.

Some additions to what Rene wrote:
In the early XV century many different scripts were created to be used in ciphers. The cipher manuscripts by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. are in some respects an interesting parallel for the Voynich manuscript, but You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. were created to be used in diplomatic ciphers.

As discussed by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (among others) another option is an artificial language: both Lingua Ignota by Hildegard of Bingen and Enochian by Dee and Kelley were supposed to be written with their unique invented scripts.
I personally like the phonetic-script idea, but it poses a number of problems for European languages: e.g. character entropy is too low and word-length distribution is different (in these respects, as discussed by Jorge Stolfi and others, some languages from East Asia appear to be closer).
I wouldn't commit myself directly to the Ladin dialect now either. It refers to a region.
Perhaps it is also an unfortunate choice.
There are also Rhaetian, Dolomitic and Friouli.

Here, one should learn something about the empires of Raecia and Noricum and their languages, and the development up to the present day.
Invasion of the Roman Empire by the Bavarians and Alemanni around 500.

I personally exclude the German language (Alemannic) from the Swiss side. I can't see it in the VM like that. But the Bavarian language is. Therefore rather from the eastern side (Carinthia).
I think I would recognise my dialect.
Here is a language example. Imagine that in an Italian crossroads.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5