The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: What apparently inactive researcher would you most like to see return?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There sure are a lot of researchers who come and go who are not at all missed. But which ones who've come and apparently gone do you wish had stuck around?

Jorge Stolfi is apparently no longer involved with VMs research, but his ghost is still very much present here. I was not involved in the VMs scene when he was active, but from what I can gather from current discussion, Stolfi's work is the equivalent of what's known as a "sleeper hit" in the movie industry: lukewarmly received upon its first release, but gradually more appreciated with time. I also compare Stolfi's "presence in his absence" to the character of John Galt in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged. In both cases, the man's absence is controversial and regarded bitterly, because it is case-in-point of a systemic problem which drove him away, and could very well drive other great people away too. Again, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm only echoing what I have picked up over a couple of years of reading this forum and feeling the vibes here. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Jorge Stolfi's webpage, and I come back to sections of it, looking for inspiration. But I have the advantage of hindsight; I would like to say that I would have been one of Stolfi's supporters against his critics when he first published his work, but I don't know because I wasn't there. It would be really awesome if Prof Stolfi were to resurface, comment on some of the more recent developments in VMs studies, and pick up where he left off with his work on the text.

What other VMs researchers do you sorely miss, and wish would come back and continue working on the manuscript and offering their thoughts?
A good question; not one I'd like to answer because I'm afraid it would start a fight. Obviously I'd like somebody like the Friedman's to appear again. Sadly, a lot of the really famous researchers have given up due to ill health or death.
It made me think of a side question, people who I'd like to continue studying the Voynich but this time with an open mind - that is, researchers who have gotten stuck down a side alley but who in the past have had bright ideas and inquisitive minds. There are a few around. I shan't mention their names, for obvious reasons. Cool
If we could choose someone who sadly is no longer with us.
Then i'd love to chat to John Matthews Manly with his crypto skills and massive knowledge of Middle English literature,
what did he think about the vms ? what would he make of eva ? To see his eyes twinkle at the resolution of the digitized images.
Athanasius Kircher, he sounds like a fun cat to hang around with or maybe Emperor Rudolf, if he counts as a researcher.
(04-09-2020, 07:53 PM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Athanasius Kircher, he sounds like a fun cat to hang around with or maybe Emperor Rudolf, if he counts as a researcher.
The Jesuits have always been known as the "fun" sect with Christianity Big Grin
I haven't seen Job for long in the forum, - the author of voynichese.com, - and his github shows no activity since 2016.

Would be cool if Brian Cham and Juergen Wastl were more active.
Stolfi and Prescott Currier (and definitely the Friedmans).
If we can summon the spirits of the dead, then Voynich himself. Panofsky. Baresch, to ask where he got it from and what he knows. 

If we have to remain in the realm of realistic possibilities, then I'd hope for Stolfi's return.
I wish Julian Bunn was around more.  Undecided
Stolfi would be my number one choice. But also seconding Bunn.
Pages: 1 2 3