The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Peter Bakker on the VMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Here is an article by Peter Bakker, a linguist at Aarhus University. Even though his conclusion is a bit "self explaining" ( "The mere fact that it has not been decoded, means that it is not decodable"), I think the article is worth reading as a summary.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Sorry, this article is one more example that it is not enough to be a linguist in a university to be able to provide relevant information.
About Bakker`s "anti attitude" concerning decryption one can have a fundamentally different opinion. Also this statement seems to me to be totally exaggerated:

"Almost all other things you find on the net are written by cranks."
That sounds like something a crank would say.
Depends on how one defines 'almost'.
The Bakker-Ardıç combination makes me want to look for a different hobby.
Don't let them stop you, Marco. Wink You regularly show that one can do good work with the manuscript.
I read this a while ago and thought it has a feel of “sour grapes” to me.  Needless to say, I would not be inviting Bakker to my Voynich Manhattan project compound. (see Save the World string for reference).
Quote:in most languages, for example, no word can end in -tr

Interestingly, in Russian there are words ending with "-tr". They are all borrowed and omit the "e" present in other languages. E.g. theatre, centre, sceptre and Burgermeister all end with "-tr" in Russian.
(03-08-2020, 06:34 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The Bakker-Ardıç combination makes me want to look for a different hobby.

I sometimes feel this way as well but then I remember that there are also good researchers (like MarcoP).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10