The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Thunder symbols
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
As noted in another thread, Ellie Velinska noticed a similarity between the symbol for thunder in a 13th century Liber Scivias: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[attachment=4530]

So I was thinking, if we assume that this star represents thunder, then what does that imply? Is this symbol-as-thunder unique to the Heidelberg MS? Or to Hildegard? Or has it been found in other manuscripts? 

I've been looking around a bit but haven't been able to find anything like this yet. Usually it looks like they draw a tempest, with clouds and stuff coming out of them.
I really hope it is thunder because Meteorite Smile

The implications are that given the context of the surrounding imagery
contained within the 2nd image sequence on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., then there are 2 main possibilites:
1.) Reading the whole image left to right , then its a cannon making a bang and possibly killing someone - nymph at right.
2.) Reading image from right to left , a person dies , their 'star' falls to earth with a bang  then the 'crucifixy' meteor.

Note: MarcoP suggested the 2nd idea in a thread (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).
Why the thunder from a falling star ?  because rarely they do make a sound.

And most interesting is that if it was an audible meteor then was that VMS image inspired by a dateable event?
an account of thunder for the 1492 Ensisheim Meteorite (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)
Example of meteor as cross shaped: (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)

and positing that one VMS image sequence should be read from right to left is...intriguing

Hopefully someone can find a similar thunder symbol in other MSS.
There are some additional Ensisheim meteor images and info here (on my blog) if you scroll down past the portal pics:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
For implications, I was rather thinking in terms of sources; if this symbol for thunder is unique to this Scivia (which we don't know yet) and it also means thunder in the VM, then this MS, or one closely related to it, was known to the VM artist.
I've looked for images similar to the von Bingen icons a few times in the past without a lot of luck in finding the "thunder" image.
[Image: 6a00d8341c464853ef0240a46f1e59200c-800wi]

This magical seal against thunder and lightning is from a "1st half of the 15th century" medical manuscript.

A blog article discussing it translates the circling script as ‘Quando audieris tonitruum respice hoc signum et liberaberis; In nomine patris’ (‘When you hear thunder, look at this seal and you will be freed – In the name of the Father’).

It is obviously different, but has some similarities. 

Not exactly the same, but here is a solstice/equinox diagram:

[Image: DgOAp5vW0AMSQds.jpg]

In Kabbalah, sun symbols are combined with swordlike shapes pointing out or pointing in to create magical sun diagrams (talismans).

This is more recent (not medieval), but the symbols in the center go back further than the style of the zodiac in the outer ring, so still might be of interest:

[Image: DtevR2hWkAAGJlT.jpg]
[attachment=4531]
I don't know if you can see it as such.
Wait, just to be clear - I can't see JKP's pics, but I can see Aga's - are they the same?
That's odd. I see both the same. No, they aren't the same pics, they are different.

Mine are links to offsite, maybe Aga's pics are attachments.

I think the ones he posted are seals and they are quite close to the thunder icon shape.

I posted some shapes that are not specifically thunder icons but come from the same general way of combining shapes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7