The Voynich Ninja
Crossbowman - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Crossbowman (/thread-695.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Crossbowman - -JKP- - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 08:52 AM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Can we not wander off-topic away from the crossbowman and into the realms of linguistic analysis please.

JKP-
I've increased the number of image attachments per post (and also made the thumbnails a tad bigger). Limit is now 25, FYI.

Wladamir -
Good points. A left handed crossbowman? Why depict such a thing - was it intentional or unintentional?

David, THANK YOU.

I have saved the post as a draft and dug through my files and found a couple more pics of interest, so I'll add those, as well. I can't do it now, I have a contract deadline, but I'll try to get the images up this evening.

RE: Crossbowman - Searcher - 06-09-2016

I think, the sagittarius -crossbowman keeps his crossbow just like these:
[Image: EL0057-3-1(L).jpg]

[Image: EL0057-2-1(L).jpg]

RE: Crossbowman - -JKP- - 06-09-2016

Diane wrote: "My point is that one can either research the manuscript to learn more about what it contains, and implies.  OR one can devote one's efforts to hunting endlessly for matter likely to support an idea that the individual wants to see believed widely."

If this were true, you would also be complaining about the "Italian theorists" and the "Czech theorists" and the "English theorists" but you are not doing that. It's always the "German theorists".

Now I really do have to run and will be confining my comments to the crossbow theme. I will post additional crossbow pics this evening for any who may be interested.

RE: Crossbowman - MarcoP - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 03:29 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I think, the sagittarius -crossbowman keeps his crossbow just like these:

[Image: EL0057-2-1(L).jpg]

Thank you Searcher!
I am ignorant of crossbows, but I would say this guy is putting an arrow on a loaded crossbow?
Or is he doing something different?

This is also in line with what Anton wrote: you hold the weapon with your left hand and operate it with your right.

PS: of course medieval images of people loading crossbows, or doing whatever this guy is doing, would be welcome Smile

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Here there are a few interesting images. I would say that the crossbow is loaded, and then an arrow is placed on it.
This guy is holding the arrow between his teeth:
[Image: Zurich%20Zentralbibliothek%20ZBZ%20Rh%20...bowman.jpg]

Here, one can see that the loading crossbow has no arrow, while one that is ready to shoot obviously has one on it:
[Image: National%20library%20of%20the%20Czech%20...bowmen.jpg]

RE: Crossbowman - Wladimir D - 06-09-2016

If guided by interesting Koen Gh assumption that crossbowman lost his fingers due to trauma due to the string, then we can say that he was forcedly became a left-handed, since it is impossible to set the dart using only the thumb and little finger, but you can pull the trigger!  Smile

Seriously though, I was shooting out sporting crossbow. To navigate quickly to a state to shooting, necessary beforehand to keep crossbow butt and the trigger, on (strong) hand. "Alien" (weak) hand is used as additional support and for overcharging. (The same is done at shooting from a Kalashnikov and pump gun.) The dart take in three fingers to 'weak' hands. In this case the thumb is directed into the crossbowman.  Feathering (stabilizer) of dart at the time of charging which is held in the hand, also directed towards the crossbowman.

RE: Crossbowman - Helmut Winkler - 06-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 03:31 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Regarding the term "German" for the epoch in question: it looks like that it is well-established jargon even in academia. I am currently reading "White Magic, Black Magic in the European renaissance" by Paola Zambelli (most interesting book!), and she consistently uses words such as "German" and "Germany". She even calls Paracelsus a "German" author.

I think you should take a look what language P. was writimg in and where he was born and died and that one of his main achievements was writing in German and not in Latin, I mean I would call Dostojewski Russian. P.Z. uses quite correct terms.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It could be that the Voynich Sagittarius has just placed his bolt / arrow on the loaded weapon. Apparently this was done holding the weapon with your left and placing the bolt with your right.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=551]

RE: Crossbowman - Koen G - 06-09-2016

Marco - That would indeed explain the floating arrow. It is also interesting to see that in your last example, the trigger mechanism is between the string and the stirrup, just like in the VM. Wladimir noted that in other crossbows, the trigger is between the string and the user.

RE: Crossbowman - Searcher - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 04:10 PM)MarcoP Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It could be that the Voynich Sagittarius has just placed his bolt / arrow on the loaded weapon. Apparently this was done holding the weapon with your left and placing the bolt with your right.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=551]

I agree.

A 1480 ca You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. from South Germany (mainly because it's interesting to see a 3d object). Holding the weapon with the left end really seems to be quite normal.

[Image: 344px-Martyrium_of_Saint_Sebastian._Pic_02.jpg]