The Voynich Ninja
Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Astrology (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't (/thread-535.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Anton - 11-10-2022

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. a chart from Basel F VII 12 showing how boundaries of months relate to the boundaries of signs. What's interesting, the circle contains 13 sectors. One would expect 12 as per the number of months and signs, but the 13th sector is purely decorative, it holds captions. Who knows, this might be the case for some VMS charts faling to align with numerology familiar to us!

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Aga Tentakulus - 11-10-2022

@Anton
It depends on where you put the lever.
4x13=52
52 weeks has a year, (52.1429)
If I look at it with seasons, as an example, spring or autumn......... has 13 weeks.

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Anton - 11-10-2022

Yes, but here the chart is dedicated not to weeks, but to Zodiacal signs and months, they just use the additional sector for captions. Similar principle adopted for some other charts in this (composite) MS.

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Aga Tentakulus - 11-10-2022

I have looked at it. I now know exactly what you mean.
Unfortunately, I don't know Latin.
But the first ring is the names of the months. There seems to be a description at the top.
The inner ring seems to be a whole text and has nothing to do with the individual subjects.
You should know Latin here to really understand it.

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Juan_Sali - 11-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 08:39 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. a chart from Basel F VII 12 showing how boundaries of months relate to the boundaries of signs. What's interesting, the circle contains 13 sectors. One would expect 12 as per the number of months and signs, but the 13th sector is purely decorative, it holds captions. Who knows, this might be the case for some VMS charts faling to align with numerology familiar to us!
The 13th sector: outer says nomina mensium (month names), the inner nomina signo*(sign names), I dont undertand the ending of signo*.
The inner circle shows the signs, half the name of a sign in a month and it continues in the following month, names are separated by a point, pis are the 3 final letters in the inner ring of february, it continues in the inner ring of march as ces.ari, follows es.tau ...

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - pedestrian - 12-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 10:34 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The 13th sector: outer says nomina mensium (month names), the inner nomina signo*(sign names), I dont undertand the ending of signo*...

Isn't it just abbreviated signorum, genitive plural of signum?

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Anton - 12-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 10:34 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The inner circle shows the signs, half the name of a sign in a month and it continues in the following month, names are separated by a point, pis are the 3 final letters in the inner ring of february, it continues in the inner ring of march as ces.ari, follows es.tau ...

Exactly; this is to show the fact that month boundaries break the Zodiac sign intervals in two parts.

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - MichelleL11 - 12-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 10:34 PM)Juan_Sali Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . . . the inner nomina signo*(sign names), I dont undertand the ending of signo*.

Whenever you see a symbol that you don't know what the meaning is, either in a handwritten manuscript or incunabula publication, the first stop is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (see, 3.0 VI).  Please note there is also a crowdsourced You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. tool that can be helpful.

But don't feel badly, the -rum abbreviation (and variants) have actually been used, particularly by scribes, in quite creative ways that are not obvious.  For example, a similar shape has been relatively rarely used as an abbreviation for "recipe."  Might even be a forerunner for our modern day Rx -- but there's a lot of competing theories out there as to source symbols -- that are hard to pin down precisely, given the time involved, printers' creativity in using similar symbols for other things, and the creativity of people looking for a good explanation.  Maybe someday it would be worth researching better, but there is only so much time in the day. Smile

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Ruby Novacna - 20-10-2022

(09-10-2022, 06:11 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I counted the number of nymphs/stars for each diagram.
Did you find any differences with the previous counts, Anton?

RE: Why the Voynich Zodiac - isn't - Anton - 20-10-2022

Yes, there were a few differences in star counts with what's reported on Rene's website.  I believe those mostly were dubious cases where it's debatable whether a star is there or not.