The Voynich Ninja
116v - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: 116v (/thread-437.html)

RE: 116v - Ruby Novacna - 06-03-2020

If in "six marix morix vix ahia maria" we read six and VIx as 6 (times), so as to consider marix morix and ahia maria as the titles of the prayers: maris mori could be a prayer of the sailors against death at sea? Correct my Latin if necessary.

RE: 116v - Anton - 06-03-2020

Interestingly - and what I noticed just now - there are distinct traces of a faded-out "a" - looking like the "a" in "maria" - partly overwritten by the current "a" in anchiton. Which partly confirms Nick's suggestion that the text in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. is in its great part a product of a later "restoration". And decides in favour of "anchiton" as opposed to "michiton" and "nichiton".

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 02:29 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(06-03-2020, 10:33 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Reading long-ess as "f" makes no sense at all.

I posted above that the long-ess in "six" might be an "f" instead.

But not for the same reasons, Anton.

My response was to his REASON for calling it "f" instead of "s". He didn't change it to "f" based on a faded possible crossbar, he changed it to "f" because he said the word made more sense in Latin. That's not really a good reason to change a letter. We don't KNOW if it's Latin.

Your reasoning I will accept.

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 06-03-2020

One of the reasons it's hard to work out anchiton/nichiton/mehiton is because there are three styles of "a" on this folio.

• Most of them are a slightly pointed "a" with a fairly straight stem and not quite joined at the bottom (oladab*s, portas, marix, *hia, maria). This is not a common form of "a", but it was not rare. I have found quite a few examples of the same shape.
  • One of them looks like a Voynichese "a" (the third one in oladabas that I marked with an asterisk above). It does not look like the other "a" chars.
  • The first "a" in "ahia" is drawn like the approach stroke in "anchiton" which is probably the best reason to consider that it might be anchiton, but it is an unusual way to write "a".

People often say there are 8 Voynichese glyphs on this folio (bottom left), but the last "a" in oladabas does not look like the other "a" chars on this folio and DOES look like many of the VMS main-text "a" glyphs. The "i" in "vix" is definitely not "i" like the other "i" chars on 116v. It is written exactly like EVA-i.

So, there are more than likely 10 Voynichese glyphs on this folio which is hopeful news for us if the person who wrote this had some idea what was going on in the rest of the text and maybe was involved in its creation.

RE: 116v - Aga Tentakulus - 07-03-2020

JKP
In a crosscheck with "m" there are also some of them, but none of them looks like "michiton".

We have 3 long "s" ( six, so, gas ).
I ask myself the question:
With "oladabas, portas, I have another "s (8)", but not on "gas"
whereby the (8) also occurs with val8en.
Maybe it means "portad"

But I think we had this discussion 2-3 years ago

RE: 116v - -JKP- - 07-03-2020

Yes, it could be portad. There were a few people who used the same glyph for d and s, so it can be difficult to know what's going on if there's only a small amount of text.

RE: 116v - Anton - 09-03-2020

I was reading about Tartar, and met with an interesting passage on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:

Quote:In Hypostasis of the Archons (also translated 'Reality of the Rulers'), an apocryphal gnostic treatise dated before 350 AD, Tartarus makes a brief appearance when Zōē (life), the daughter of Sophia (wisdom) casts Ialdabaōth (demiurge) down to the bottom of the abyss of Tartarus.

And I thought whether the enigmatic "oladabas" can be just the distorted "Ialdabaoth" of the gnostics.

RE: 116v - davidjackson - 09-03-2020

What did we say o meant in some language? I vaguely remember a discussion about it. 
If you assume that are Angel names, then it's something like anchiton and/or Lahabiel, who was a common protector angel, and we're looking at an invocation.

RE: 116v - Wladimir D - 13-03-2020

RUBY/    If in "six marix morix vix ahia maria" we read six and VIx as 6 (times), so as to consider marix morix and ahia maria as the titles of the prayers: maris mori could be a prayer of the sailors against death at sea? Correct my Latin if necessary.

In another topic, Marco said….. but the four consecutive -x words in line 3 are quite suggestive of meaningless pseudo-Latin.

In a post  № 356 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.  , I made a similar assumption. In this case, x is Roman 10, which may indicate the number of repetitions of the phrase. A similar entry was made, since there was no practice to put brackets to indicate the number of repetitions of the phrase. I met when, to indicate the number of repetitions of a phrase, a section of text was underlined or written in other ink, and the number of repetitions was written over the selected text (or after).

JKP /   [i]So, there are more than likely 10 Voynichese glyphs on this folio which is hopeful news for us if the person who wrote this had some idea what was going on in the rest of the text and maybe was involved in its creation.
[/i]
I also previously pointed out the similarities between a and I c eva. But also look at s in the word .?miltos. Here you can see the (s + i) EVA!

RE: 116v - Searcher - 13-03-2020

We already talked about the possibility that the one or two words before "porta8" can be "carcere". What, if "carcere" is not a noun, but a verb? I mean the verb "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.", which could be transformed into "carcere" by the reason of lack of education or peculiarity of the dialect.
[b]coerceō[/b] (present infinitive [b]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[/b], perfect active [b]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[/b], supine [b]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[/b]); You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
  1. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. on all sides, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. together; You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

2. I You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. or in, hold in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
In this case, "carcere portas + N" may mean "to interlock the gates of [Name]", "to hold together gates of [Name]". And further "fix" seems to be natural sequel.