The Voynich Ninja
Oiin as a verb ending - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Oiin as a verb ending (/thread-3821.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - cvetkakocj@rogers.com - 24-06-2022

(18-06-2022, 07:18 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(18-06-2022, 06:36 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.EVA aiin and oiin are both Slovenian grammatical endings for the verbs
(18-06-2022, 06:36 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Reading EVA iin as IIV, we can get another set of Slovenian grammatical endings for adjectives
Cvetka, did you manage to find all the correspondences of -oiin and -aiin in Slovenian?

Sorry, I did not answer sooner. 
The reading of EVA-IIN seems natural to me as M, which is one of the oldest written signs, used already in Vinča culture on the Balkans 5.000 years ago, as well as in ancient Hebrew, Etruscan, Venetian etc. It is still written like that in cursive writing, except that the connecting line on top became rounded.
I accounted most of the -iin endings (in different readings of the minims). Most frequently, it stands for first person singular, present tense ending, however when it is preceded or followed by auxiliary verb 'to be', it indicated the '-iiv, or -iw' reading, which means past or future tense, or conditional mood.   It can also be an ending for a noun (dative, masculine, singular).  There are also some root words ending on -IIN (M). The mere fact that how vowel changes in the verbs is indicative of Slovenian grammar. I collected some words to show you how it works in the VM.  

As you can see, there are some distinctions where to read a string of minims as m, im, nu, iiv, iw, but this is not always the case if I read it in the context, because the author probably knew the reader will know how to read minims from the context. Also, IIV and IW stand for the same sound (iu), since V at the end is pronounced as U. IIV can also be read as JIV (since i was also used for j). JIV is also frequent Slovenian ending. 

Sorting the VM words and comparing the handwriting is very helpful, but still, the reading is hard. Also, the translation is hard, because the same words (pronounced with different accent or shade of vowel) can mean different thing.

Anyway, there are over 600 DAM words in the VM.

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - Ruby Novacna - 24-06-2022

(24-06-2022, 03:25 PM)cvetkakocj@rogers.com Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The reading of EVA-IIN seems natural to me as M
I agree with you, Cvetka, that iin first looks like m. However it appears more at the end of words, what glyph do you think transcribes the m at the beginning and in the middle of words?

RE: Oiin as a verb ending - Ruby Novacna - 26-01-2023

The word pchdoiin on page 104v, which I read as φτουν, may be equivalent to πεφτουν, of πεφτω - to fall, from Byzantine Greek. 
Unfortunately I haven't found an explanation of the Byzantine Greek conjugation yet, is it similar or different to Ancient Greek?

Do you have any idea about this?