The Voynich Ninja
Sumac Flower - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Sumac Flower (/thread-3665.html)

Sumac Flower - Pardis Motiee - 11-10-2021

I have found a word (تبری) which is defined as sumac (سماق), and it is for the folio95r1. At first, I was thinking the drawing is more like a barberry.  What do you think about it being a Sumac flower? To what I see, in voynich portal it is suggested that the other plant in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. can be a Poison sumac. So, if what I'm saying is correct, can we have two sumac plants? Or the writings are in the wrong place?

RE: Sumac Flower - Davidsch - 11-10-2021

According to wikipedia there are many different species and Sumac is a genus, that is a higher category in the classification. So, there might be more species within that genus.

You can go everywhere, in writing from there, like rhus, ρουσ or whatever the spelling you use, in Arabic I see it is transcribed as Al-Sumac  السُّمَّاقُ , as you wrote, or Al-tolb/ Al-tallab. التَّألَب

RE: Sumac Flower - Pardis Motiee - 12-10-2021

Thank you. It is saying there are more than 250 species. Before the time of Linnaeus, were they counted Sumac plants?

RE: Sumac Flower - Davidsch - 13-10-2021

That is a good question, the answer is given that before Linnaeus there was no generally accepted classification. Therefore in books several different types of classification were examined and especially some populair classifications came from the taxonomy from the well-known "Aristotelian view" and after that, around the middle of the Middle Ages, the "Spheres of Heaven" played an additional role. (chapter III, the Development of Universal Language, Zealous with Language and Ciphers). To be short, any type of classification could be found, but mostly the written books use one of these approaches: a) what-can-we-do-with-the plant or b) what-is-the-academic-or-religious-place-of the plant-as-concept.

RE: Sumac Flower - Ruby Novacna - 22-03-2022

(11-10-2021, 07:33 AM)Pardis Motiee Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have found a word (تبری) which is defined as sumac (سماق), and it is for the folio95r1.
I propose to give for each word examined its transcription in EVA, in this way it is much easier to find it by the readers.

RE: Sumac Flower - Pardis Motiee - 22-03-2022

You can write the first paragraph with EVA and I will specify the words.

RE: Sumac Flower - Ruby Novacna - 23-03-2022

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately I did not understand it. You identified a word as sumac and I suggested that you write this word in EVA, it is easier for the readers to find the word under examination.

RE: Sumac Flower - Pardis Motiee - 23-03-2022

(23-03-2022, 02:01 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thank you for your answer, unfortunately I did not understand it...
In other words, using EVA is not easy for me. See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Sumac Flower - Ruby Novacna - 23-03-2022

You can use the website You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., it makes the work much easier.

Good luck!

RE: Sumac Flower - Pardis Motiee - 23-03-2022

Thank you. Voynich writing system resembles abugida, and like Pinglish it can be transliterated directly into Farsi script. So for reading, giving the final script is much easier. If I write the Pinglish sbj for a word, the reader will not find it in dictionary. However, the same spell, in Farsi script, سبج is giving at least two results. The Pinglish form given to a person who does not know Persian or have not heard the word, will seem incomprehensible. Now, if I change it from Pinglish to EVA, it would be like putting the cart before the horse.