The Voynich Ninja
9 Rosette - Specific Details - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: 9 Rosette - Specific Details (/thread-2952.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - Mark Knowles - 04-10-2019

If the page is a map, I think it fair to say that the author was an imaginative, creative and unconventional individual, but I think that is certainly not inconsistent with other aspects of the manuscript as we know them.

My perspective generally is that the author was highly intelligent, inventive and original, which one would expect if Voynichese is a cipher, and I think this page is another reflection of that.

I think if it is not a map then we have to say what it is and find a class of document from that period that it more closely resembles. I would argue from what I have seen so far that it more closely resembles maps of that time than any other documents, especially when it comes to the many specific details.

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - bi3mw - 04-10-2019

A paper on the "map theory" ( Jürgen Wastl and Danielle Feger )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(04-10-2019, 10:43 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A paper on the "map theory" ( Jürgen Wastl and Danielle Feger )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Yes, I have seen that and been in touch with Jürgen. Thanks anywaySmile

I think the following might be a clearer indication of what I am describing:

This is a page of Matthew Paris's Strip Map. I think strips like these are what we see with the causeways on the rosettes page. Note the central rosette is not connected by causeways and I would argue not a geographical location, but a theme relating  to the page.

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - Koen G - 04-10-2019

Isn't that more of an itinerary than a real map?

Edit: also, even on the map you just posted, there is still much more variation in structure than in the VM 9 circles.

I think an important issue is that if the page is a map then I would expect it to have more valuable information in it for understanding the manuscript as a whole than if it were some kind of cosmological drawing for example. On that basis it is certainly a hypothesis worth entertaining.

If it is map then the question becomes a map of where? Knowing where it is a map of likely could tell us a lot about the manuscript.

(04-10-2019, 10:59 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Isn't that more of an itinerary than a real map?

Edit: also, even on the map you just posted, there is still much more variation in structure than in the VM 9 circles.

Which image are you referring to?

I believe that most detailed maps were constructed on the basis of using written itineraries.

I guess it depends what you mean by a "real map". There are a class of documents called "itinerary maps", whether you consider those documents "real maps" I can't say.

You say: "even on the map you just posted, there is still much more variation in structure than in the VM 9 circles."

Can you explain what you mean by that?

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - Koen G - 04-10-2019

The strip map. It's much less regular.
Castle - small castle - castle - river - split:

- tower - tower - tower....
 - tower - tower - pyramid? ....

That's its structure, it's variable. But in the VM, there's a strong overarching structure of nine circles, connected in a structured manner. 
Both appear schematic, that is true. But the strip map makes the scheme follow the variability of the routes, while in the VM everything is presented in what appears to be a much more symbolic diagram.

And while the VM foldout's structure is less varied, its contents is more so.

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - RobGea - 04-10-2019

A detail thats probably been mentioned is that the 8 paths that link the 8 outer rosettes are all different shapes.