The Voynich Ninja
9 Rosette - Specific Details - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: 9 Rosette - Specific Details (/thread-2952.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - Mark Knowles - 02-10-2019

So to me many of the specific details relate to buildings with distinct features or illustrations of architectural features.

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - -JKP- - 03-10-2019

Quote:Mark Knowles: So to me many of the specific details relate to buildings with distinct features or illustrations of architectural features.

I think they do too. And the first 9 or so years I delved into the map, I assumed it represented real places (possibly a strip map), so I looked at zillions of domes, courtyards, fountains, lighthouses, etc., etc. I collected a huge number of examples.

But, I am not so sure now. After looking at thousands of medieval maps and schematic diagrams, I realized that many illustrators used real-looking architecture to illustrate mythical or only semi-real worlds (like the supposed travels of "John de Mandeville" and the mythical "New Jerusalem" and numerous others).

I also noticed something rather important. Even if they were illustrating something from an exotic place or a different culture, they OFTEN drew it in terms of their own culture. For example, sometimes Africans were drawn as black, but not always, and the King of India would sometimes be drawn like a white guy (like a Northern European) with a long beard. The only "Indian" thing about him was his turban. The same with architecture. Sometimes they drew eastern domes, but often they drew European castles to represent eastern places.

So now I am trying to look at it in more flexible ways. Maybe real, maybe partly real, maybe partly cosmological or mythical. Maybe not quite so literal a map as I first (and probably wrongly) assumed.

RE: 9 Rosette - Specific Details - Mark Knowles - 03-10-2019

Regarding the gateway, that I showed before in this thread #7, on the causeway between the top centre rosette and the top left rosette I think this image is a nice parallel->

This style of gate seems to fit more with images of gateways that I have seem in the Southern German speaking world.

(03-10-2019, 02:47 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:Mark Knowles: So to me many of the specific details relate to buildings with distinct features or illustrations of architectural features.

I think they do too. And the first 9 or so years I delved into the map, I assumed it represented real places (possibly a strip map), so I looked at zillions of domes, courtyards, fountains, lighthouses, etc., etc. I collected a huge number of examples.

But, I am not so sure now. After looking at thousands of medieval maps and schematic diagrams, I realized that many illustrators used real-looking architecture to illustrate mythical or only semi-real worlds (like the supposed travels of "John de Mandeville" and the mythical "New Jerusalem" and numerous others).

I also noticed something rather important. Even if they were illustrating something from an exotic place or a different culture, they OFTEN drew it in terms of their own culture. For example, sometimes Africans were drawn as black, but not always, and the King of India would sometimes be drawn like a white guy (like a Northern European) with a long beard. The only "Indian" thing about him was his turban. The same with architecture. Sometimes they drew eastern domes, but often they drew European castles to represent eastern places.

So now I am trying to look at it in more flexible ways. Maybe real, maybe partly real, maybe partly cosmological or mythical. Maybe not quite so literal a map as I first (and probably wrongly) assumed.

Yes, it is true that I have quite a literal map interpretation and specific corresponding locations, some influenced by Nick Pelling's interpretation. Though I do not view the central rosette as being part of the map in the sense that I do not view it as a physical location. Similarly my own perspective as I have stated clearly before is that the page shows what could be described a circular journey strip map or return map of a journey or itinerary map of a journey to and back from a location or however is best that one could describe it. As such the central rosette does not constitute part of the interlinked strip map.

(03-10-2019, 08:45 AM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-10-2019, 02:47 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Yes, it is true that I have quite a literal map interpretation and specific corresponding locations, some influenced by Nick Pelling's interpretation. Though I do not view the central rosette as being part of the map in the sense that I do not view it as a physical location. Similarly my own perspective as I have stated clearly before is that the page shows what could be described a circular journey strip map or return map of a journey or itinerary map of a journey to and back from a location or however is best that one could describe it. As such the central rosette does not constitute part of the interlinked strip map.

I agree with much of what is described at the top of Nick Pelling's 9 Rosette Page post, namely the two suns representing East and West I.e. the rising sun and setting sun with the far bottom left corner showing a compass pointing north. Similarly the text flowing around the page that Nick illustrates fits well I think with a circular itinerary map.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(03-10-2019, 08:52 AM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-10-2019, 08:45 AM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(03-10-2019, 02:47 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

I agree with much of what is described at the top of Nick Pelling's 9 Rosette Page post, namely the two suns representing East and West I.e. the rising sun and setting sun with the far bottom left corner showing a compass pointing north. Similarly the text flowing around the page that Nick illustrates fits well I think with a circular itinerary map.

I like the link to "regional" map as it shows a T/O map in the corner indicating the rest of the world, as I think we see in the top right corner of the 9 Rosettes page
->

The suns also struck me as maybe being the rising and setting suns when I first saw them, but I like to keep an open mind, so I try to remember that they might mean summer or winter solstice (or equinox), depending on how the folio is supposed to be interpreted.

The T-in-O diagram might be the rest of the world, a mappa mundi, but I think it's also possible that it's pedagogical, in the sense of saying to the person viewing the "map" (imagine a child on his father's lap), this is how we represent the rest of the world, by dividing it into three for the sons of Noah, and this is (pointing to the suns), and this is...

(03-10-2019, 08:18 AM)Mark Knowles Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Regarding the gateway, that I showed before in this thread #7, on the causeway between the top centre rosette and the top left rosette I think this image is a nice parallel->

That's pretty much what I had in mind.

I don't recall anyone mentioning saddlebacks and portal gates until I pointed it out. But I didn't want it to be overlooked. I felt it was important because it was a familiar symbol for an entranceway in the days of walled cities.