The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Course in Cologne focusing on VMS (/thread-2902.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Helmut Winkler - 20-10-2019

I have taken the trouble of reading the Hermes post, just a few remarks.

I am not sure H. has understood Popper, the essence is that (scientific)  theories must be disprovable and when              I see O.'s razor as well I start running as fast as possible.

A paper in Cryptologia like all these papers in refereed journals (and elsewhere) means sod all nowadays, there have been to many scandals and all socalled expert opinion has to justify itself. To quote another philosopher, Immanuel Kant, you should make use of your own brain.

To come back to T.T. and his theory J. Hermes: Like many other theories, Talbot, Tucker, Rugg, andd so on it is simply ahistorical, it ignores the simple, undisputable fact that we have in B. 408 a document of the first half of the 15th c. and it projects 20th c. concepts into the Late Middle Ages.

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - ReneZ - 20-10-2019

Torsten's work has been discussed here quite a bit, in a critical manner, so I find it hard to understand Jürgen Hermes' comment that this would not have been the case.

I thought the same as Marco: I should re-read the papers.

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - hermesj - 21-10-2019

(20-10-2019, 06:43 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Torsten's work has been discussed here quite a bit, in a critical manner, so I find it hard to understand Jürgen Hermes' comment that this would not have been the case.

I didn't write that (but I apologize if I expressed it misleadingly). What I wrote was that A) I'm still surprised that the autocopist theory has received relatively little attention (with Cheshire / Gibbs etc. in mind). Also I wrote that B) I still cannot find any real arguments in the relevant forums to suggest that an alternative theory would be preferable to that of the autocopist. Witch doesn't mean it wasn't discussed. But I'm glad I gave you an impulse to re-read the papers ;-)

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Davidsch - 21-10-2019

Seeing repetitive word in text is rather easy
scientific study requires that you compare results and
not try to look at words easily and see that they repeat
and then assume textual science will prove your result.

What a colorful world we live in!

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - hermesj - 22-10-2019

(20-10-2019, 05:51 PM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have taken the trouble of reading the Hermes post, just a few remarks.

I am not sure H. has understood Popper, the essence is that (scientific)  theories must be disprovable and when              I see O.'s razor as well I start running as fast as possible.

A paper in Cryptologia like all these papers in refereed journals (and elsewhere) means sod all nowadays, there have been to many scandals and all socalled expert opinion has to justify itself. To quote another philosopher, Immanuel Kant, you should make use of your own brain.

To come back to T.T. and his theory J. Hermes: Like many other theories, Talbot, Tucker, Rugg, andd so on it is simply ahistorical, it ignores the simple, undisputable fact that we have in B. 408 a document of the first half of the 15th c. and it projects 20th c. concepts into the Late Middle Ages.

Thanks for reading, it must have been very hard for you. It is always a pleasure to receive comments of this kind. Wherever I misunderstood Popper, I would be happy to get clarification. But you have probably already run away (fast). Strange that one is misunderstood here so often. Maybe it is my fault after all?

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - ReneZ - 23-10-2019

Jürgen, I hope that I could explain my interpretation of your post a bit better You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. .

The hypothesis of Torsten has not only been commented on here in this forum, but also by Nick Pelling in his blog. It will be a bit hard to find the comments there and I don't know how to create pointers (links) to it.

Let me continue writing in the other thread that I linked to above.

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Torsten - 23-10-2019

(23-10-2019, 05:17 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The hypothesis of Torsten has not only been commented on here in this forum, but also by Nick Pelling in his blog. It will be a bit hard to find the comments there and I don't know how to create pointers (links) to it.

Until today Nick Pelling has mentioned one of my papers only in one of his blog posts:
"And so it is with all that in mind that Torsten Timm points – in his interesting and challenging paper that I will discuss in more detail another day – to a particularly intriguing (nearly-)repeating sequence pair ..." (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.).

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Helmut Winkler - 23-10-2019

Thanks for reading, it must have been very hard for you. It is always a pleasure to receive comments of this kind. Wherever I misunderstood Popper, I would be happy to get clarification. But you have probably already run away (fast). Strange that one is misunderstood here so often. Maybe it is my fault after all?

[/quote]

Well, it was hard, no one outside academic circles reads something longer than two pages  (DIN A4), it is usually seen as  a sign you can't express your thinking concisely (and I suspect most papers are not read, but only quoted)

How much Popper you have read is for your personal Gewissenserforschung

Yes, I think it is your fault (and T.T.'s as well)

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - Anton - 23-10-2019

Quote:and I suspect most papers are not read, but only quoted

Oh that's generally true, and more than that, many papers are quoted without ever being seen. Rolleyes

RE: Course in Cologne focusing on VMS - -JKP- - 24-10-2019

That's depressing to hear.

When I read a paper (presumably something I'm interested in reading), I read all of it. Even if it's long.