The Voynich Ninja
[Article] Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Article] Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła (/thread-2760.html)

Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - davidjackson - 30-04-2019

I received today, as part of an eclectic mix of selected recipients, an email announcing the solution of the voynich. 
Assuming this is for public release, here's the link to the article, which I haven't yet read in any detail. 
Quote:Dear Sirs,

On Saturday 27th of April 2019 we uploaded general solution to the VMS in the paper entitled "Breaking "The Flo(wer)urishing Code" of The Voynich Manuscript" at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. 

We used spaces as functional entities and showed where the bits of information are hidden which allows on decoding of large parts of text of the VMS. 

Enjoy !

Kindest Regards, 
Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła

RE: Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - ReneZ - 30-04-2019

Indeed.
I have to admit that I have also not yet read the paper, but the authors are not unknown:

It's a good week: three solutions.

RE: Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - -JKP- - 30-04-2019

Weird experience. The first seven pages is largely things I've been saying for years (nothing new there for me).

But in the next part (the correspondence tables), we differ in our assessment of the characters.

The transliteration key that they published is not going to work well for large groups of text. I know the VMS well enough to know which substitutions work and which ones don't. I've tried hundreds of combinations over the years.

Even though some of their correspondences might be correct (and functional for small blocks of text), some of them I'm pretty sure are not, which means it is bound to fall apart for larger blocks (especially contiguous ones).

It's really just a tease. One word and one phrase? That's all?

They should have translated a paragraph (or even a full line). One word and a phrase is not enough to convince me (or anyone credible) that the system works. I can translate dozens (sometimes hundreds) of words and short phrases in a variety of languages, so I know it's not hard to do this. I also know they are not solutions. What is hard and what MUST be done is a larger block of text. If a system WORKS then it will work for at least a few lines (and probably more since the VMS shows a high degree of consistency throughout). So far I haven't seen that demonstrated.

I grabbed the other plant labels from the folio that they used as an example ( f89r2 ). I did this quickly, so it may not be perfect PLUS there are many degrees of freedom in the authors' system in terms of vowels and EVA-ch, so you can choose from quite a few options to create a valid word.

For glyphs with optional interpretations, I did try to choose from those that were more similar to Latin plant names, but even so, none of them are Latin. They aren't Italian either. The superficial resemblance to Romance languages is because the authors suggested that the leading "o" may be a suffix to the previous word, which ends up with a lot of vowels at the ends.

This is not hard-and-fast... the O can possibly be A or U in the authors' system. Also, the substitution of [I] and [DR] was the authors' choice of how to interpret the r glyph and the space to turn the label into "coriandrum", so it is subjective:

OSORUM SOLUMO PICSOSORIS SOLOM SUSPEOLO PISUSTEORO FOLSUMO FOLIS CUSTOLBUMO PICLOROM
COR[I]AN[DR]UM SOBOR  CULEUSG SPEOSUMO PORON OCSUSTIS SPEUS OCON CONORONO  POCOLIS OFOLSUM COMFORORISO FOLOROLIS

Unfortunately, following the "coriandrum" logic through the other labels did not yield any obvious plant names (other than perhaps "FOLIS"). Perhaps with some manipulation of the vowels and adding additional letters (as in the coriander example) a couple more could be created.

Notice that D, R, N, and M never occur in the middle of words (except where the "O" has been moved from the following token to the previous one, to push back the letters or where a ready-made Latin prefix or suffix was attached). One would expect to see at least a few. Also, there are no T, H or Q. One would expect to see T in at least a few plant names. The only T is one that was added as a preselected Latin suffix. Presumably if these under-represented letters are necessary, they would have to be added by the person deciphering the text.

If the authors don't like my choices (based on their transliteration tables), it might be a good idea to decipher a larger block of text, otherwise there doesn't appear to be much validity in the system. Almost any system will generate a few valid words, especially when letters are permitted to be added and vowels to be changed as needed.

The plant in the picture could be any of hundreds of plants. It could even be coriander, but there's not enough evidence to to say for sure that coriander was intended unless the system can be shown to work for other plant labels (and presumably the main text, as well, which is similar in structure).

RE: Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - Emma May Smith - 30-04-2019

Nothing to see here.

RE: Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - Koen G - 30-04-2019

(30-04-2019, 04:24 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It's a good week: three solutions.

It would save us a lot of work if authors were better at evaluating their own solutions.

(30-04-2019, 06:45 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Nothing to see here.

My feeling is that it's more of the same.

A high proportion of solutions are based on a handful or words or phrases (and sometimes not even that). It's like peering through a tube at an elephant's tail and declaring that the animal is a snake.

RE: Proposed solution by Agnieszka Kałużna & Jacek Syguła - bi3mw - 16-11-2020

I have received a link to a new paper from Agnieszka and Jacek Syguła on Academia.edu via email:

How to decode the indecipherable Voynich Manuscript [“Practicums con Calendaria...”] ?