The Voynich Ninja
Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Marginalia (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-45.html)
+--- Thread: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek (/thread-2522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Koen G - 29-10-2018

Rene remarked in the other thread that Greek Gamma is pronounced as "ng" in certain phonetic contexts. This means that "anchi" may be a separate part, a transcription of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., which means "near, like...". Quite a number of compounds with it exist, like ἀγχίθεος, which can be adjective (godlike) or noun (demigod). Also in names, like Anchinoos ("close to his mind").

αγχιτον appears reliably in one or two sources, a few times here but I have no idea what it's about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - -JKP- - 29-10-2018

I think the "ng" is worth checking into. Consider also the Greek εγκι and its related words. I had a list of them once, but I am not sure what I did with it. They're in my files somewhere.

In the early days I didn't have an organization system to keep track of things. I thought it was a three-month project. I had no idea I would still be working on this years later.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Searcher - 29-10-2018

(29-10-2018, 01:28 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.αγχιτον appears reliably in one or two sources, a few times here but I have no idea what it's about You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
That is a name.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Thanks, Searcher. On the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. it says "Pausanias (Greek: Παυσανίας; fl. 5th century BC) was a native of Sicily who belonged to the family of the Asclepiadae, and whose father's name was Anchitus."

The Greek name would the be "Anchitos". If I understand correctly, Anchiton would thus be an accusative singular or a genitive plural of this name.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Hubert Dale - 29-10-2018

(29-10-2018, 07:12 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Thanks, Searcher. On the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. it says "Pausanias (Greek: Παυσανίας; fl. 5th century BC) was a native of Sicily who belonged to the family of the Asclepiadae, and whose father's name was Anchitus."

The Greek name would the be "Anchitos". If I understand correctly, Anchiton would thus be an accusative singular or a genitive plural of this name.

This is from an Empedocles fragment which reads: Παυσανίη, σὺ δὲ κλῦθι, δαΐφρονος Ἀγχίτου υἱέ.

So the nominative of his name would be ἈγχίτοYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and Anchiton or Anchitum could, theoretically, be the correct Latin accusative singular.  It seems a very long shot.  Mind you, most of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. makes about as much sense as Empedocles.

The Greek gamma forms a 'ng' sound when followed by another velar plosive, i.e. 'g', 'k' or 'kh'.  Hence the first syllable of Greek ἄγγελος sounds the same as Latin angelus.

Thanks Hubert, I agree that it's a long shot. Also since apparently it wasn't exactly the most popular name out there.

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - ReneZ - 30-10-2018

Of all words proposed so far, I find 'enchyton' the most promising.

It is the Latinised name of either a Greek infusion or a soft cake, and seems to have been quoted by classical Latin authors.

Googling from one reference to the next (as one does), I ran into something that is almost certainly a curious coincidence. It is related to the myths surrounding Pandora, as told a.o. by Hipponax.
Apparently, Pandora was responsible for the birth of some deformed children (called Teras, plural Terata).

Also, someone offered to her an 'enchyton' in the role of a scapegoat (German: "Sündenbock).

The Greek word for scapegoat is Pharmakos.

Do we have the Teras and the scapegoat in the left margin of f116v? Are all the Voynich nymphs Terata?

Honestly, I do not think so....

(The references for this can be easily found by googling for the various words and names above, and there must be more that I have not seen.....)

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Searcher - 30-10-2018

Well, who is this?  Huh Shy

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - VViews - 30-10-2018

Hi Searcher,
Interesting!

From what I can gather, this is the Enychyros, another name for the European bison, aka the wisent. There used to be three subspecies of them in Europe but only one survives today.
I have to say the enchytos/enchyton-sounding animals you and ReneZ mention are particularly interesting in view of the marginal drawing...

RE: Anchiton as a transcription from Greek - Scarecrow - 31-10-2018

I've found these two references to Anchiton, while ago. Hope they can be useful to others too.