The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - Juan_Sali - 22-04-2022

(22-04-2022, 03:02 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Because the problem is not only Quire 13, but the zodiacal section. If those figures that hold stars in each degree of a stellar constellation are not personifications of stars, can someone in this forum tell me what the hell they are then?
They could be You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., the greek godness of women, marriage, family and childbirth. 
She was also worshiped as a virgin, she renewed her virginity anually taking a bath.
Hera is involved too with the creation of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

RE: No text, but a visual code - R. Sale - 22-04-2022

They are personifications of stars, if you like. Or since there are about 30 nymphs in each of the Zodiac houses, perhaps they are also days, or nights, or whatever seems reasonable in a 'Middle Ages' construct. That's the thing about VMs ambiguity. Somehow, it's just built into this 'clumsy' artistic style. And it's being used to advantage. The VMs nymphs and stars are connected. That much is clear.

The female personifications are a result of linguistic determinations, in languages in which nouns have genders: masculine, feminine and neuter. The actual word for star [Latin: stella] is feminine in Romance languages, but masculine in German. The majority of star names are not masculine, but there are some. The majority of VMs nymphs are not masculine, but there are some. (Latina "anima" is also a feminine noun.)

The VMs nymphs are a set of figures, a pool of characters. They serve as a hiding place for a number of historical and literary 'personalities.' Do you know Lady Bertilak, the wife of the Green Knight?

Without the history of the era, there is no historical connection. This is where heraldry plays a part. Heraldry makes the historical connection.

RE: No text, but a visual code - RobGea - 22-04-2022

@Juan_Sali, there are mostly 30 nymphs per zodiac sign, that's a lot of Hera. Tongue

@R.Sale "The majority of star names are not masculine" {{Citation needed}}

Hi Antonio García Jiménez, if you could please post a summary of your current thinking, that would be great.

As to 'what the nymphs  [in the astrological section]  are ?',  In this post, David says "they represent an aspect in astronomy." You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: No text, but a visual code - R. Sale - 22-04-2022

Citation: Ninja investigation
See thread: Sidereal connections: masculine

The search for stars with masculine associations found a few significant examples, but that was it.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Koen G - 22-04-2022

The fact that so many stars in the VM are held by female figures would require a more general explanation. Like the fact that the word for "star" is grammatically feminine in Romance and Germanic languages. This includes, but is not limited to, Latin "stella".

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 22-04-2022

As RobGea has asked me, I will make a summary of my thoughts:

It is useless trying to decipher the Voynich script before knowing what the book means. It seems like a paradox but it is not. I firmly believe that we can know what the VM transmits through the examination of the images.

It is a mistake to try to interpret any page or any section. The book is a whole and you have to see its internal correspondences. The authors have not wanted to draw real herbs, but to show how the virtue of plants is generated by celestial influences. We see stars everywhere, even in the section wrongly called Recipes.

The essence of these celestial influences is locked in those elaborate containers that we see in the so-called Pharmaceutical section. We see similar precious containers on the Rosettes page, which is a representation of the universe with tubes through which these essences flow, the medicinal virtues of plants

The zodiacal section lacks the cold signs, Capricorn and Aquarius. Herbs just don't grow then

The astrological and magical character of the VM is evident. It has a certain relationship with the books of Alfonso X the Wise, something that members of this forum such as David Jackson, MarcoP, ReneZ and others have seen before me.

The Voynich's message is that: the medicinal virtues of herbs are provided by the stars. Therefore the script can be (and I say can be) simply a system of astronomical-astrological symbols that establish a correspondence between the macrocosm and the microcosm.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Aga Tentakulus - 22-04-2022

Simple question:
You want to do something. What do I need? How do I do it? When do I get it?
Who wants it, and for what?
It's all in the book.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Ruby Novacna - 22-04-2022

(22-04-2022, 10:04 PM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.It is useless trying to decipher the Voynich script before knowing what the book means.
I find this contradictory: if the magical and astrological nature of the manuscript is recognised, why wait to try to understand the text?

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 24-04-2022

No, it is not contradictory. You can get an idea of the meaning of the VM without knowing anything about the script. One of the problems of the VM is that linguists and cryptographers have dealt with the book much more than art historians or iconography experts.

In this forum there is hardly any mention of Erwin Panofsky, one of the great art historians who investigated the VM. He shed some light to understand the meaning of the book.

And understanding the book a little, one can come to think that perhaps there is no text.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Ruby Novacna - 24-04-2022

(24-04-2022, 09:05 AM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.one can come to think that perhaps there is no text
Every time there is a " perhaps ", there is also a " perhaps not ".