The Voynich Ninja
No text, but a visual code - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: No text, but a visual code (/thread-2384.html)

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 03-10-2020

The idea of climate zones goes back a long way and I've seen it in quite a few manuscripts.

Sometimes they labeled the arctic and antarctic as cold and other times they labeled them as uninhabitable.

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 03-10-2020

Here's another one...

It has Africa at the bottom (south), which is unusual. Europe is top-left, and Asia to the right, and the little section in between is for Yam, the 4th son of Noah (usually only three sections and three sons are represented).

And the girdle, the band (which usually represents the ecliptic), is drawn north to south:

KBR 11184 from the Pays-Bas region, c. 1300?

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 03-10-2020

(03-10-2020, 06:38 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Here's another one...

It has Africa at the bottom (south), which is unusual. Europe is top-left, and Asia to the right, and the little section in between is for Yam, the 4th son of Noah (usually only three sections and three sons are represented).

And the girdle, the band (which usually represents the ecliptic), is drawn north to south:

KBR 11184 from the Pays-Bas region, c. 1300?

Hadn't seen that one before, it fits well into the isadore to oresme spectrum, this would equate to the habitable zone quarter of oresme, showing it from the side as a sphere though, the three pieces on the left hand side are the old ecumene to about India, the Yam section you mentioned would be the near/middle east, the right hand side the far east, which adds in China et al. It is the left hand side of this one which i think is portrayed in quire 13 and 14.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Linda - 03-10-2020

(03-10-2020, 04:18 PM)aStobbart Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.As a native spanish speaker I decided to give it a try and it took some effort, but some keywords are climas (the earth has seven "climates", according to the author), horas, grados, minutos, linea equinocial, oriente.

Here is my attempt at transcription (in modern spanish) of the first section of f10v (32)

Quote:El primer clima comienza desde la linea equinocial en vii grados de largo - (meatat?) de un grado - aqui es la (abdat de arim?) donde siempre los dias y noches son iguales - esto es en la (meatat?) de este clima pero a las partes de la linea equinocial son tres grados - veintisiete minutos - el (eclip?) de la una parte hace su dia mayor en trece horas - el menor en once horas - comienza de la parte de oriente hasta donde sale el...

In parethesis are the words I that I am not really sure how to read. The character that looks like a "z" (-) I read it as modern spanish "y" (and), or it just acts as a separator, I am not sure. Some words look abbreviated too.

Ah this page with castle i can understand better, the castle simply points out the European origin of the maker. The addition of Ceuta here shows this was likely made after 1415. Page 108 wasn't nearly as clear but i now see it is the same orientation as this one, basically the isadore TO map setup.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 04-10-2020

The image on f88 of the Tratado de Astrologia is not confusing.The equinox line is drawn: the intersection of the celestial equator with the ecliptic. At the Earth's equator the pole star is on the horizon, latitude 0º. The stars in f88 appear to come out of both poles, which are drawn as tubes. Note the difference with de axis above which is rectangular. It is the same idea of tubes that we see in the Rosette of the VM.
  The text of the Tratado de Astrologia reproduced by aStobbart talk about the city of Arim in the equatorial line, the place where the hours of the day are the same as those of the night.
Arin (or Arim, Arym) is the center of the world at equal distance from North, South, East and West. Latitude 0º, longitude 0º.
   The Arabs took the concept of the Indians and called it Qubbat al-Arin, dome of the world. Western science picked up the idea of the Arabs and incorporated it into their Geography and Cosmography.  Roger Bacon was one of the first to talk about Arin, and Pierre D'Ailly did it in his Imago Mundi, a contemporary work of Voynich. 
  I believe that the city drawn on the Rosette folio of the VM represents Arin. Obviously, the author drew a western city that he knew well.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 05-10-2020

I want to to focus on the imagery because I think it will be easier for us to reach an agreement and because it is essential to understand what the images mean before trying to understand the script.
 I have already said on several occasions that everything, absolutely all the Voynich says the same: how the stars come down to Earth to give theirs virtues to medicine plants.
I recommend reading the thread The meaning of the Rosettes folio, the Voynich MS and everything, started by ReneZ because he explains how the parts of the book are related and has ideas that I share.
  ReneZ highlights the immense resemblance between the plant on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. and the circle in the upper left corner of the Rosette diagram.
  I believe that there are many plants whose flowers or leaves have a star shape, not by chance. And I also believe that the beautiful naked ladies are the same stars that descend to Earth through the tubes that cross the crystalline spheres of the cosmos, an original representation of the Aristotelian-Ptolemaic theory

RE: No text, but a visual code - Ruby Novacna - 06-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 09:23 AM)Antonio García Jiménez Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....Arin (or Arim, Arym) is the center of the world...
While looking for information on Arin/Arim, I found the work of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. "L'image du Monde" and his city of Aaron. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. reminded me of the "Rosettes" page. Have this work and this picture already been discussed on the forum?

P.S. I find the images of BNF too capricious, the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..

RE: No text, but a visual code - -JKP- - 06-10-2020

I can't remember if it was in my blogs or on the forum, but I have mentioned Arim at least once, but I did not mention the manuscript you linked.

RE: No text, but a visual code - bi3mw - 06-10-2020

Info about the city of Aaron / Aren / Arim:
Quote:Aaron is probably the city named Aren on the map of Petrus Alfonsi [120], a Jew from Huesca, who wrote around 1110. The form Arim is found in a manuscript of the " l’Image du Monde" [121], and makes this assumption probable.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Unfortunately I could not find Arundel 52 online.

RE: No text, but a visual code - Antonio García Jiménez - 09-10-2020

It is probable that the city that we see in the Rosette folio is a representation of that wonderful place, center of the world called Arin, Arim, Arym, Aaron, Aren or however it has been transcribed.

In the imagination of the authors of the VM it would be a magical place where all those fantastic plants that we see in the codex would grow.