The Voynich Ninja
The Water of Life from the Moon - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Imagery (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: The Water of Life from the Moon (/thread-2286.html)

The Water of Life from the Moon - Searcher - 08-02-2018

I was going to post it here, but in the end it turned out to be a too big material, so I've finally decided to make a new blog and to place my whole theory concerning the VMs imagery there. Here is only the introduction and synopsis.

Due to my new observations on the Voynich MS, I can continue my «lunar» theory which was begun with observations on the hidden signs of the lunar cycle in the herbal part of the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. You can find it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. I agree it looks unconvincing in the interpretation of quite obscure signs. Now it has grown from a separate observation into a more or less complete idea.
This idea is about the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. I don’t want to say it is new, but my aim is to represent how it can be explained entirely. Actually the matter is about the «living water» from the Moon. I think the whole conception of the VMs is the doctrine about influences of the Moon on the Earth water, plants and moistures of all bodies, about moisture and vapors of the Moon as the nature of its influence.
I don’t know whether my observations and conclusions will help in deciphering of the text or will more confuse, as, it seems, I haven’t found the answer to the question about the language in which the Voynich manuscript is written.
1. Analysis of patterns in the Voynich MS imagery.
2. Image of the Moon in the view of ancient and medieval people.
3. The Eagle and the Mountain.
4. The Water of the Moon: a divine liquid of immortality or the principle of reincarnation?
--Soma and Samsara.
--Ambrosia and metempsychosis.
--Manichean «Navis vitalium aquarum».
--Alchemical transformation: the White elixir as the way to the Redness.
--The Voynich pools of life-giving waters.
5. The place of the Voynich MS in the «Lunar» theory.
6. «Rosettes» – Ros – Ras – Aqua Vitae.
This is the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Please, use the direct link, Google Search doesn't work for it as I use free version Wordpress.

P. S. Koen, thanks for You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. It came just at the right moment.

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - Koen G - 09-02-2018

No problem  Wink
I'm going to take a look at your blog tomorrow. Wouldn't you like David to add it to the blogosphere reader?

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - Searcher - 09-02-2018

(09-02-2018, 12:54 AM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.No problem  Wink
I'm going to take a look at your blog tomorrow. Wouldn't you like David to add it to the blogosphere reader?

Thanks, I'll be glad!

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - Diane - 09-02-2018

Searcher - May I make a suggestion?

If you can, would you add the dates and sources for the pictures so we can get a clearer idea of  possible cause-and-effect.  It would also be the civil thing to do to run a google search and acknowledge the first person(s) to suggest similarities that you repeat in your paper.  If only everyone did that it would save a lot of embarrassment and no-one could possibly suggest you'd just 'lifted it'.

If that alchemical image of the mirrored lion is dated much later than 1438,  it must affect any inferences drawn so again date and source is important for readers to know.  
On the same detail - what marks the Vms picture of the twinned bodies as not of Latin descent is that - quite unlike anything I've ever seen in the Latins' medieval art anyway - each body is drawn to suggest a very different sort of animal from the other.  I identified the style, and suggested that one of the bodies was meant for a lion, and the other probably for a blackbuck doe.

Two identical, but 'mirrored' bodies sharing a single head is not uncommon in Latin heraldic art, and I've been especially intrigued by the profusion of such forms in medieval carving including misericords.  But  from a Latins' point of view the head of one sort of animal shared between two distinctly different bodies seems to have been treated with revulsion because the instances are so very few.  (I say 'very few' - in fact I've yet to see any).

D.

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - Searcher - 09-02-2018

(09-02-2018, 01:26 AM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Searcher - May I make a suggestion?

If you can, would you add the dates and sources for the pictures so we can get a clearer idea of  possible cause-and-effect.  It would also be the civil thing to do to run a google search and acknowledge the first person(s) to suggest similarities that you repeat in your paper.  If only everyone did that it would save a lot of embarrassment and no-one could possibly suggest you'd just 'lifted it'.

If that alchemical image of the mirrored lion is dated much later than 1438,  it must affect any inferences drawn so again date and source is important for readers to know.  
On the same detail - what marks the Vms picture of the twinned bodies as not of Latin descent is that - quite unlike anything I've ever seen in the Latins' medieval art anyway - each body is drawn to suggest a very different sort of animal from the other.  I identified the style, and suggested that one of the bodies was meant for a lion, and the other probably for a blackbuck doe.

Two identical, but 'mirrored' bodies sharing a single head is not uncommon in Latin heraldic art, and I've been especially intrigued by the profusion of such forms in medieval carving including misericords.  But  from a Latins' point of view the head of one sort of animal shared between two distinctly different bodies seems to have been treated with revulsion because the instances are so very few.  (I say 'very few' - in fact I've yet to see any).

Diane!
First of all, thanks for reading of my blogposts. I agree that info must be added to pictures without fail. I've finished my work with a blog too late at night, and, of course, there are many things to be edited and added. I am sure to do this in the near future.
As for exactly that comparison you mentioned, I used the picture from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1622), also the same image presents in his You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1618). It is too late for the VMs, but I don't think that it must be ignored and, at least, must be kept in mind. 
You are right, it is very interesting and important to observe causes and effects, not only in the VMs studying. Although those two comparisons with alchemical emblems are far from the main thought of that blogpost about the signs of the lunar cycle in the VMs, they can be a good addition to my main theory. 
While I chose that image for its quite good match, there are similar depictions of the alchemical "conjunction of the opposites" in earlier alchemical manuscripts. Note that they don't mean to be mirrored. For now, the closest ones I found are:
the emblem from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (XV century ? year)
[Image: aurora-3.jpg]
and the emblem from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (1599)
[Image: lossy-page1-800px-Musaeum_Hermeticum_167...11.tif.jpg]
I'm very interested in finding of any earlier examples, even just to find the roots of influences on European alchemical imagery. As I see, some of them came from Egyptian and from Oriental alchemy, therefore I expect to find some. All findings welcome!

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - Searcher - 10-02-2018

The place of the Voynich MS in the «Lunar» theory.

Considering the Voynich MS as the whole treatise, I would call it «The Book of the Moon» or «Liber Lunae» in Latin manner. Of course, it contains different sections and includes also solar and zodiacal diagrams, but, I think, in fact, the main figure here is the Moon and different aspects of its influence. The Voynich scenario in this case may be:
I section – The herbal.
It can contain herbs of the Moon (moonwort, mugwort, water lily, violet, poppy, etc.) which must be gathered according to the phase of the Moon or any plants for preparation of the «lunar» tinctures. As I think, the especial lunar plants are marked with different hints which are described You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
II section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.—You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Astronomical:
the lunar, solar and luni-solar diagrams representing astronomical cycles and their influence, supposedly, on water and other fluids, such as juice of plants, fluids of a body (blood, urine, lymph, liquid of brain and eyes, etc.) I suppose that lunar influence is dominant for the author. As I wrote earlier, I think that several diagrams represent the lunar and luni-solar influence on the tidal motion where the phases of the Moon, its appearance during a day and a year, solstices and equinoxes are taken into account.
III section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Probably, the lunar calendar which, sometimes, it was called Lunarium (Greek: Selenedromion).
It usually comprised a schematic 360-day calendar that traces the zodiac sign that the moon traverses for every day of a year composed of twelve 30-day months. Such calendars reflected many aspects of the lunar influence: it could be a calendar of unlucky (fatal) days for blood-letting (one of them counts 32 such evil days) or a calendar predicting gender or character of a child, as well, an appended to a calendar text, could be the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. which gives a prediction according to the position of the moon in the zodiac when the thunder clap occurs (thunder omens), and so on.
Besides of that the different figures of the diagram can depict good and bad days, probably, some special figures of men and women in these diagrams may mean the lunar influence in aspects with the other planets. For example, the old man may signify the Saturn, the woman in a crown – Venus, etc. I’d pay attention to the colors in the Zodiac diagrams which can also signify the influence of planets (red – Mars, blue – Jupiter, green – Venus, and so on).
We all know that the signs of Aries and Taurus are divided in two parts: the «white» (light) sign and the «dark» one, in particular, the «green» /»brown» / «grey» Aries and the «red» Taurus. It could be interesting in the alchemical context, as the stages of  the Opus Magnum are: Nigredo with intermediate «greenness», AlbedoCitrinitas and Rubedo.  I won’t claim that they mean exactly these stages, maybe, they just indicate beginning, culmination and finish. I’d note that April (Aries) and May (Taurus) are months when the alchemical dew or, sometimes, the water of rain (with lightning storm) was to be collected. I think it depends on a region and its climate. Possibly, that’s why they are distinguished among the other signs. Some consider March (Pisces) for this, too. Maybe, therefore it stands first – as the beginning of the «celestial water» harvesting.
The spirit of the dew of May is prepared in the following way. Take a sufficient quantity of May dew or rainwater, or snow in the same way, obtained in March or the beginning of April, and distil its spirit in the ordinary way — Spiritus roris maialis paraiur sequenti modo. Recipe roris aut pluvice maialis, aut itidem niuis exeunt Martio aut ineunte Aprili collectct q. s. ex iisque modo ordinario spiritum destilla.( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.)
I find the most interesting that people in tubes are appeared only in the signs of Pisces, Aries and Taurus. So, obviously, tubes mean the period when the water must be gathered in receptacles, according to this, we can assume that the last ten days of Taurus in the VMs diagram and the rest months (signs) are useless for this.
Even visually I have an impression that the light sides of Aries and Taurus are, rather, favorable and fruitful for that work as the figures are mostly colored and dressed. Probably, those figures implies the luckiest days, but naked figures – vice versa, rather, useless, hollow. It is considered that the favorable time to pick off the dew is the time when the Moon is waxing until Full Moon, while I can say nothing about the rest aspects.
IV section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. The Purification.
I believe it shows female humid power of the Moon to purify and to revive. I am inclined to think it is really represents souls, cleansing in the Lunar Waters of Life, likewise they are represented in Plutarch’s myths. But it is not excluded that it is just abstract depiction of the feminine, moist, purifying and cyclic properties of the Moon and its celestial dew filled with the celestial fire of the Sun.
V section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. The lunar influence on human body fluids, that is, the excretory system.
VI section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. Albedo.
I’m not sure that all these pages belong to the same separate chapter, so, it is a biggest assumption among the rest. Possibly, it describes the alchemical process (Albedo) of preparing of the White Elixir (Aqua Vita), including the inner stage — the Peacock’s tail (Cauda Pavonis). The f85 and f86, I think, reflect this process exactly in the Hermetic cosmogonic context. Thus, the Rosettes page is a culmination of all this. I will reveal my thought about this in the very end.
VII section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.—You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.—You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..  As it is fairly considered, the Pharma section.
I think it is based on the herbal section and the section about the preparing of the Aqua Vita, i. e., on instructions on the plant gathering according to the lunar phases (for example) and the Aqua Vita «recipe», and describes the making of the alchemical (spagyric) herbal tinctures.
Ebenezer Sibly, later, in XVIII century, invented the division of tinctures on Solar (masculine) and Lunar (feminine). The solar tinctures were used for masculine diseases and lunar ones — useful for women (pregnancy, diseases). The earlier division seems to be unknown, but if is needed to be more examined.
VIII section – You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.—You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. The list of…
Actually, I’m not sure that it is exactly a collection of recipes. Of course, it is possible, but the red and yellow stars accompanying the text give me another association. First of all, these stars may correspond to the stars of the Zodiacal diagrams, but also the division in two colors, on my view, is not accidental and can relate to the similar division in the lunar diagram on the f67r2. Undoubtedly, it must be found out what this division means, I will repeat myself again, maybe, it marks positive and negative influences or predictions.
It can be the Brontologion or the part of the Lunarium of blood-letting, births, dreams, illnesses, etc.

RE: The Water of Life from the Moon - -JKP- - 10-02-2018

Since Emperor Rudolf II had a particular interest in alchemy, and many alchemists under his patronage, I would not be surprised if hidden alchemical themes existed in the VMS.

Even apothecaries were, in a sense, "pre-chemists", as many of them not only dried and ground herbs, but also distilled medical tinctures.