The Voynich Ninja
[Other] Sad news about Stephen Bax - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Other] Sad news about Stephen Bax (/thread-2212.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - davidjackson - 11-12-2017

It's a copy with all original content intact, no different from the wayback machine picking it up or similar.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Koen G - 11-12-2017

It's good  you made a backup, we don't know what will happen to the site. I imagine Stephen would have liked this as well.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Emma May Smith - 11-12-2017

I'm sorry to hear this.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Searcher - 11-12-2017

While I didn't know Stephen Bax, didn't communicate with him, it is very sadly anyway - people go, researchers, like-minded persons go. Let the memory of them all be bright!

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - julian - 11-12-2017

Cry

Very sad news. Far too young.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Ruby Novacna - 12-12-2017

My heartfelt condolences to his family. His untimely passing is a genuine loss to the Voynich's community.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Anton - 16-12-2017

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - MarcoP - 22-11-2018

Today is the first anniversary of Stephen's death. Trying to leave aside my personal gratitude towards him, I think his absence has left a great gap in the Voynich community, even if this forum might have successfully replaced his site as a place to discuss the hobby.
A first point is Stephen's focus on linguistics: most of the contributions I see are either strictly image-related or belong to the pseudo-Latin category, totally ignoring both Latin grammar and the possibility that the manuscript was written in some less obvious language.
A second gap is that Stephen was a link between the academic world and Voynich hobbyists. His illness did not allow him to organize You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.; now I am afraid that there is nobody in the academic world that would consider a similar project.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - Koen G - 22-11-2018

It's been only a few days since I was talking to someone about how the period of Stephen's activity meant a real boost for VM research. Apart from that, I always admired his peaceful character, optimism and willingness to respond to the many newcomers who were drawn to his site - myself included. 

It's a shame indeed that the conference couldn't be organized. If I recall correctly, he was approached by an interested party who would offer financial incentives for the speakers. If something like this is ever organized again it would be nice to dedicate the event to Stephen's memory.

RE: Sad news about Stephen Bax - davidjackson - 22-11-2018

Good heavens above, a year already? That certainly bought a lot of memories rushing back. How time flies.
It certainly would be lovely to organise a proper voynich meet. It's been far too long since the last one, and could well prove to be a nucleus to form a new impetus forwards.
Voynich.ninja could certainly provide material support towards organising such a conference - it is in a small part what I do - although of course my invitation would give little weight to the intellectual heavy weights needed for such a conference.