The Voynich Ninja
First words on folio 1r - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: First words on folio 1r (/thread-2140.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: First words on folio 1r - Anton - 14-10-2017

(14-10-2017, 01:29 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Anton: ...I am curious, what text do the tables of Soyga contain ? ;-)

They don't contain any coherent text, the point is that the algorithm of their formation has been uncovered, and this was something that (if I'm not mistaken) took ages.

RE: First words on folio 1r - ReneZ - 14-10-2017

(14-10-2017, 01:42 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:RENE.......Such a solution is definitely wrong, in case the letters Eva(p) and Eva(f) are the only ones that encode certain plain

text letters. It would not necessarily be wrong if (for example) the plaintext "n" would be encoded by Eva(l) or Eva(p).

I disagree and [...]

It is not clear to me what you are exactly disagreeing with.

To Helmut, and the question of transcription errors, one has to distinguish between two types of errors here:

1) Errors in the actual transcription (typically inconsistencies and inaccuracies)

2) Errors in interpreting the transcription.

With respect to the question whether p  could mean something related to the letter P:

Errors of type (1) are those when  p shapes arrie mis-transcribed as something else, or other letters as p.

Errors of type (2) are related to:
- judging that P represents a character in an alphabet or an abbreviation, while maybe it isn't
- judging that p stands alone, while it could instead perhaps be part of a construct

The point that p almost exclusively occurs on top lines of paragraphs is a valid statistical conclusion. Errors in this statement would be errors of type (1) and these are quite small.
Treating paragraph-initial p as a plain old letter (or abbreviation) is as wrong as treating the rubricated pilcrows in medieval manuscripts as characters that are part of the text. This is an error of type (2).

RE: First words on folio 1r - Davidsch - 16-10-2017

(14-10-2017, 04:14 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(14-10-2017, 01:29 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@Anton: ...I am curious, what text do the tables of Soyga contain ? ;-)

They don't contain any coherent text, the point is that the algorithm of their formation has been uncovered, and this was something that (if I'm not mistaken) took ages.

Well, the modular algorithm has been discovered, but it is yet unknown what the meaning of those tables with figures are.

Wikipedia: ... decipherment is the discovery of the meaning of texts written in ancient or obscure languages or scripts....

If we use the term decipherment, as we did, such is essential.  
The Soyga tables have not been deciphered, merely the formula in which they are composed has been discovered.

RE: First words on folio 1r - Anton - 16-10-2017

Quote:If we use the term decipherment, as we did, such is essential.  

The Soyga tables have not been deciphered, merely the formula in which they are composed has been discovered.

Yes, sure, you are right in this; they're not strictly in the same row with Copiale, I should have said "algorithms" instead of ciphers. Again, my point was/is that a historical algorithm needs not be too complicated to withstand attacks for ages and to present a problem to a modern researcher.

RE: First words on folio 1r - Aga Tentakulus - 04-09-2020

I am just reading through old posts again.
What is written in the first sentence on page f1r?
In connection with
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I announce my solution here.
"All information without guarantee"

RE: First words on folio 1r - ReneZ - 04-09-2020

Aga, you have just presented evidence that Google Translate functions like an effective modern encryption device.

Change one character in the input, and the output changes completely.

RE: First words on folio 1r - Anton - 04-09-2020

Quote:Wir sind zusammen...

Wir trinken zusammen, nicht allein

RE: First words on folio 1r - Aga Tentakulus - 04-09-2020

You're right, Rene.

That's why I changed it especially for you.  Big Grin