The Voynich Ninja
[Interview] An interview with Stephen Bax - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Interview] An interview with Stephen Bax (/thread-2094.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

An interview with Stephen Bax - davidjackson - 15-09-2017

Koen and I had a great chat with Prof. Stephen Bax today. We discussed the Voynich manuscript in general, and had some very interesting talks about the linguistic side of things, as well as his personal thoughts on the book.

It is a long video, but I think we flagged up some very interesting ideas!

There's no transcript at the moment, simply because of the length of the video. Anyone interested in contributing is welcome to use the YouTube tools to help correct the automatically generated subtitles that are currently being used.

The video is here:

Stephen has publically joined the forum and says that he looks forwards to chatting with us on linguistic topics. Let's all welcome him to the forums and I hope we can put some really though provoking questions forwards that we can all work together as a community to solve.

[Edit KG]
I'll add links to the transcription threads here as they come in:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - davidjackson - 15-09-2017

PS - watch out for the blooper at 0:24 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - Ruby Novacna - 15-09-2017

Pity, 1 hour 30 ! I am waiting for your summary in writing.

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - Koen G - 15-09-2017

(15-09-2017, 08:06 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Pity, 1 hour 30 ! I am waiting for your summary in writing.

Nonsense, where else will you find one and a half hour of undiluted Voynich-themed audiovisual pleasure!

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - -JKP- - 15-09-2017

The criticisms about mapping more than one glyph to a particular sound (r, in this case) do not show ignorance of language, as was said in the video. If Pelling pointed this out, I'm sure he is quite aware that there can be several similar sounds in a language.

The point is this: The VMS has a limited character set and mapping several glyphs to one sound significantly reduces the number of characters remaining for the other sounds, and this limitation has not been acknowledged in the Bax "provisional" decoding.

I believe it's a valid criticism, not a question that displays ignorance of languages. Persons pointing this out are showing awareness of the peculiarities of the VMS character set in relation to proposals based on substitution codes. One can't simply take a dozen words and map them to a character set and ignore the fact that there aren't enough glyphs left to represent the rest of the sounds in the proposed system.

The problem of "pick and mix" was raised in the video and yet isn't grabbing a few words and trying to organize them into a system that doesn't generalize to any other part of a fairly extensive manuscript, with tens of thousands of word-tokens, also an example of "pick and mix"?

I have to say, even though I don't agree with many of the assumptions and methods proposed, I was enjoying the video up to this point—I thnk the guys were doing a good job. When Bax made a personal attack on Pelling instead of acknowledging that there are problems when you use several different glyphs for one sound group (thus reducing the available pool for other sounds), it spoiled it for me.

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - nickpelling - 16-09-2017

Naturally, I'm deeply honoured that Bax felt bothered enough about my long-standing criticisms of his Voynich theory, his decoding methodology, and his internally weak arguments that he would use this video as a platform to direct a series of close-to-libelous personal attacks in my direction.

However, if he had spent even 10% of the time he invested in trying to shoot the messenger in reflecting on the actual problems I highlighted, he might well instead have concluded that building his theory on top of (a) page-initial + gallows-initial words and (b) other people's highly interpretative herbal identifications are two central strategic mistakes from which his theorizing could never recover, not in 10 years or even 100 years.

Also somewhat galling was Bax's eagerness to denigrate Currier's work as linguistically naive (i.e. that differences could be explained away as scribal variations), and even to disparage the usefulness of computer-aided statistical analysis in general (that to be useful it "needs to be grounded in linguistics", I think he said). Any theory that requires such basic pillars of research to be undermined is close to a religion, i.e. one that places faith over rationality.

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - Koen G - 16-09-2017

Note though that Stephen did not claim that those IDs were necessarily the right ones. What he did defend was his methodology - a slow and careful attempt to match some words and labels to names, and try to catch potential sound values that way. I agree that this method may prove succesful one day.

Now you have a point as well - and I hope Stephen will join us in this thread so he can debate it with us. What if a number of incorrect plant IDs caused you to match some completely wrong sounds with certain glyphs? Isn't there a point where you'd get so far down the wrong street that it's become impossible to turn back?

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - Stephen.Bax - 16-09-2017

(15-09-2017, 08:56 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The criticisms about mapping more than one glyph to a particular sound (r, in this case) do not show ignorance of language, as was said in the video. If Pelling pointed this out, I'm sure he is quite aware that there can be several similar sounds in a language.

The point is this: The VMS has a limited character set and mapping several glyphs to one sound significantly reduces the number of characters remaining for the other sounds, and this limitation has not been acknowledged in the Bax "provisional" decoding.

I believe it's a valid criticism, not a question that displays ignorance of languages. Persons pointing this out are showing awareness of the peculiarities of the VMS character set in relation to proposals based on substitution codes. One can't simply take a dozen words and map them to a character set and ignore the fact that there aren't enough glyphs left to represent the rest of the sounds in the proposed system.

The problem of "pick and mix" was raised in the video and yet isn't grabbing a few words and trying to organize them into a system that doesn't generalize to any other part of a fairly extensive manuscript, with tens of thousands of word-tokens, also an example of "pick and mix"?

I have to say, even though I don't agree with many of the assumptions and methods proposed, I was enjoying the video up to this point—I thnk the guys were doing a good job. When Bax made a personal attack on Pelling instead of acknowledging that there are problems when you use several different glyphs for one sound group (thus reducing the available pool for other sounds), it spoiled it for me.

Sorry you felt that way, but if you read Pelling's original critique of my work you will understand better what I was arguing against.  Also, if you read my work you will see that it is an attempt at a systematic step-by-step workthrough, far from a pick-and-mix. The point is that if we follow this approach it might then later lead to more generalisable results. Maybe only judge when you have read the papers and seen the whole video?

Stephen

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - davidjackson - 16-09-2017

Nick, while I defend your right to a droit de responder, I do feel that both parties here are allowing their personal animosity to cloud their judgement when discussing the other.

I'd suggest that you both have very valid points to make and it's a shame they aren't being discussed here. And to be frank, again we're falling into another tiresome Voynich he said, you did, they were influenced flame war. 

So let's break with this Voynich tradition and start afresh!

How about you both shake hands and make up, as professionals in the field? Then we can all work together - critiquing each others work, without criticising.

And Nick, you can organise another Voynich pub meet, Bax can come over and I'll get the first round in. Who knows what research breakthroughs we could all make together after a couple of amiable pints of old spot?  Smile

RE: An interview with Stephen Bax - Stephen.Bax - 16-09-2017

(16-09-2017, 10:36 AM)nickpelling Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Naturally, I'm deeply honoured that Bax felt bothered enough about my long-standing criticisms of his Voynich theory, his decoding methodology, and his internally weak arguments that he would use this video as a platform to direct a series of close-to-libelous personal attacks in my direction.

However, if he had spent even 10% of the time he invested in trying to shoot the messenger in reflecting on the actual problems I highlighted, he might well instead have concluded that building his theory on top of (a) page-initial + gallows-initial words and (b) other people's highly interpretative herbal identifications are two central strategic mistakes from which his theorizing could never recover, not in 10 years or even 100 years.

Also somewhat galling was Bax's eagerness to denigrate Currier's work as linguistically naive (i.e. that differences could be explained away as scribal variations), and even to disparage the usefulness of computer-aided statistical analysis in general (that to be useful it "needs to be grounded in linguistics", I think he said). Any theory that requires such basic pillars of research to be undermined is close to a religion, i.e. one that places faith over rationality.

Same old same old stuff again, ho hum. I need only direct people to my earlier rebuttal of Pelling's criticisms and let you all judge for yourselves. It is all there, chapter and verse:

I suggest that anyone reading Pelling's attack and my rebuttal will agree with me that:

"you have simply not engaged with the arguments carefully and in detail, and not understood some fairly elementary aspects of how languages and scripts work. Sorry to be so direct about it, but I feel it is important to be clear."

More:

1. Regarding Currier, he was simply mistaken to use the terms 'Language A and 'Language B'  when he was analysing at the level of script. And it has caused a lot of problems for years to people who don't understand the difference between script and language. I did not 'denigrate' Currier, merely pointed out that his description was wrong. (See the video at around 1hr 1 minute).

2. re."computer-aided statistical analysis" - please listen to the interview. I said that since we cannot even work out what the Voynich letters are with full precision (for example because of the minim problem You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) then computer aided analysis is very problematic.

So to suggest that my theory "requires such basic pillars of research to be undermined" is just another childish slur. (P.S I am Director of Research Excellence at the Open University, so maybe I have some idea about what I am talking about.)

And we could equally ask Pelling - what progress have you made in thirty years in decoding even ONE word, on the basis of the cypher hypothesis? Sorry to ask, but someone has to!