The Voynich Ninja
[Article] New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Article] New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs (/thread-2083.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - -JKP- - 12-09-2017

Maybe he chose a literary supplement because he's a script writer.

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - Koen G - 13-09-2017

We're in luck: the rebuttal has become mainstream before the 'solution' hit ifls. Things are starting to normalize.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - -JKP- - 13-09-2017

"The Voynich manuscript is a bit of a historical mystery. We know it came from Central Europe and historians have traced it back to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., but beyond that not a lot is known about this cryptic text."

Looks like IFLScience! got this directly from Beinecke's description of the manuscript (at least they went to the source depository rather than regurgitating the TLS article). Yale really should update this statement.

I'll see what I can do Wink

Quote:Dear Koen,

We are reluctant to update the description too frequently, given how knowledge changes, but given our recent publication it might be time to revisit the page description.  

Best,

Ray

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - Vonologia - 14-09-2017

(10-09-2017, 03:56 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Quote:As far as I can see, the 'news' has not infected the Flemish media yet.

Russian neither.

Russian media too busy cleaning out their San Francisco office. ; )

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - -JKP- - 14-09-2017

Barnaby Taylor has tweeted a higher-resolution image of Gibbs's "solution" that I'm guessing he scanned from the TLS print edition.

What it demonstrates is that Gibbs doesn't know the correct way to expand Latin abbreviations (he neglected to take into account the positional rules of Latin for the position of the "9" abbreviation, for example) and apparently doesn't know Latin either because Latin words don't end that way.

It looks like he scan-read something about Latin abbreviations, without full comprehension or working knowledge of what he was reading, and then tried to apply it in a way that reveals not what he does know, but how much he doesn't know.

But Latin aficionados can judge for themselves:

[Image: DJMKsQEXcAAkNl5.jpg]

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - Davidsch - 14-09-2017

Apart from that.  The [S]= 1/2 in this medieval manuscript is used more than 7000 times.  Not very likely that it represents the very rarely used [1/2].

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - -JKP- - 14-09-2017

Another follow-up perspective:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: New solution announced by Nicholas Gibbs - Koen G - 14-09-2017

"Gibbs, who works as a television researcher, had a theory that the book is a largely plagiarized tract on women’s health. "

I always cringe at the use of the word "plagiarized" in a medieval context. Plagiarism didn't exist because authors didn't exist, only author-ities. In fact, if you wanted to write something original, you'd often have to resort to the opposite of plagiarizing: writing your own work under a known author's name.

Now of course, the word plagiarism applies to Gibbs' theory in quite another way.