The Voynich Ninja
[Book] "The Voynich Manuscript" (Watkins reproduction) - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Book] "The Voynich Manuscript" (Watkins reproduction) (/thread-1954.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - MarcoP - 20-06-2017

(20-06-2017, 06:58 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Response from Ellie and her friends and associates at that time was of a kind which also made clear to me, as to everyone else, that this was until then an unheard-of opinion. 

Conspiracy theories may be lots of fun, but I doubt they are useful. Splitting people into the friends of Ellie vs the the friends of Diane has the only effect of moving the focus from rationality to feelings.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - Koen G - 20-06-2017

(20-06-2017, 08:51 PM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(20-06-2017, 08:23 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Stick to the topic of this publication please!

Koen,

I am sorry, but it is not clear who is addressed by this.

Everybody Angry

We will discuss internally with the moderators on how to address situations like these where threads get out of control. Please only post about the book in this thread.

I was wondering, how exactly does it work when another publisher produces a full reproduction like this? Does Yale give their permission for part of the profit? Or is it considered fair use?

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - -JKP- - 20-06-2017

(20-06-2017, 09:22 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

I was wondering, how exactly does it work when another publisher produces a full reproduction like this? Does Yale give their permission for part of the profit? Or is it considered fair use?

Koen, I was wondering the same thing a few months ago when I noticed a number of people selling facsimiles on eBay. I assume they were making them at home on their own laser printers, but laser printers are pretty good these days, good enough that these low-end facsimiles are selling. A mainstream-published book is not low-end.

But, I'm assuming that the VMS is in the public domain since copyrights rarely last more than 80 or 150 years or so, depending on the country. Only creative works can be copyrighted. A mere copy of a creative work (like a photo) is not a creative work (even if the owner or holding institution claims it as such) and thus is not copyrightable in most countries. If someone were to reinterpret the VMS drawings in a sufficiently original way, that could be given a fresh copyright, but that situation does not apply to facsimiles, only to original commentaries that might go along with the work.

There may be a few countries that provide minimal protection to high-resolution e-facsimiles of longer, older, creative works (most of them do not), but I haven't had the time to look into this.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - ReneZ - 21-06-2017

(20-06-2017, 09:22 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Everybody Angry

We will discuss internally with the moderators on how to address situations like these where threads get out of control. Please only post about the book in this thread

I suppose it's  my turn to be perplexed.

The 'Jewish theory' presented in the book was part of your own opening post, and the usual, not-too-accurate Panofsky quote already came in in post 9.

Was it the criticism of D'Imperio and the Friedmans, or my critical questions  about that (that I now wonder will ever be answered)?

I've seen threads that *really* went off-topic be split without any sign of excitement.

- - -

As regards the use right: for commercial use of the images that are owned by the Beinecke one has to ask specific permission.
They got this.
I do not know if this involved a fee. (I never asked).

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - nickpelling - 21-06-2017

If the point of the book was to repackage the Voynich as a mystery of interest to those of an occult leaning, I'm not really sure Rene and Rafal's rationalist introduction was what they wanted.

A sampling of nutty Voynich theories from around the web would have muddied the waters to the point of near 100% opacity, much richer loam for the imagination to grow its seeds in.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - VViews - 21-06-2017

I would just like to state that I will be buying this book, and look forward to reading ReneZ and Rafal Prinke's essay. 

I however, must join other posters in expressing the sentiment that in this thread, as in the Libri one and in too many others, we have had to witness some truly appalling, awful behavior.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - Vonologia - 21-06-2017

[quote pid='14950' dateline='1497990163']

[/quote]

Just guessing, but it would be tough to assume any rights exist on the VM. 
Death of 'author/s' + 75 years?

Fair use.

If you're into that sort of thing, you could have Voynich T-shirts for sale on the internet by Friday.
And someone will undoubtedly pay one comma for a "reproduction" because they can. Those of you that
create Voynich related materials like typefaces, glyphs, characters, etc. should seriously consider making
sure you have some form of protection for your work so it doesn't get bastardized...

All those typefaces, etc. can be protected if they are re-generated using new technology. Copyrights exist on your writings.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - davidjackson - 21-06-2017

Obviously the manuscript itself is not covered by copyright - although some argue that ancient manuscripts "discovered" after 1924 were protected by copyright until 2003 in the US. Anyway, that's not the case here.

Generally speaking, a straight-forward photograph of an object is not in itself copyrightable in the US - so the Beinecke photos on their website are not, theoretically, copyrighted. Although if you use them in a book, I suppose Yale might come after you in the courts (or just send Big Jim the Special Librarian for a Private Chat around the back - which is what I'm tempted to do the next time people on this forum start to quarrel ^ about provenance or who said what Tongue ).

But they are protected, because reproduction rights may depend upon contract law. Put simply, access to the material may be subject to a ban upon reproduction or other conditions.

The Yale book is copyrighted (I just looked at the disclaimer) except for the usual fair use policies. So you can't, in theory, scan and use the photos from the book in your own for-profit project.

But the Beinecke You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. seems to imply that reproduction from the website is permitted:

Quote:The Beinecke welcomes you to use materials in the public domain and to make fair use of copyrighted materials as defined by copyright law.

[..]
For any use of the materials or content on the Beinecke Website, you must cite the Beinecke as the source of the original material with the credit line below that corresponds to the appropriate collection....

So, I expect they just asked nicely for permission.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - -JKP- - 21-06-2017

(21-06-2017, 05:26 PM)davidjackson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

But they are protected, because reproduction rights may depend upon contract law. Put simply, access to the material may be subject to a ban upon reproduction or other conditions.

Yes, good point. Depending on how the material is accessed, the person viewing it may be required to sign an agreement before seeing it. When I was doing research at one of the reserve reading rooms in one of the bigger libraries, I had to sign an agreement not to use the material in any commercial publications before I was permitted into the room. Some also have restrictions on whether material may be photographed.

RE: The Voynich Manuscript - VViews - 05-07-2017

On the Guardian website:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.