The Voynich Ninja
Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS (/thread-1745.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - nablator - 13-06-2023

Since you like flowers Smile there is a "Lilium Paridis" on page 109 (sequential 117), a.k.a. "Lilium de spinis evulsum", published in the Theatrum chemicum (much expanded and modified). "Paridis Phoebi" comes from Ovid's Metamorphoses I suppose.

Again, no critical edition or translation, so I've been hunting for manuscripts of this one, found 20 so far.

There is a curious one with a planets/metals/trees metaphor: Liber Yrbonis et Jalsinis

BNF Latin 11202 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
BNF Latin 7171 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Leiden, Universiteitsbibl., Voss. chym. Q. 6 : Liber Yrbo et Jalim (fragment) catalogue only here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Printed edition as a prelude to the Pretiosa Margarita Novella (1546) pg. 30-46 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 13-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 07:05 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.A similar metaphor in the Turba philosophorum:
Accipe illam albam arborem et aedifica ei domum circumdantem...

See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ( Turba philosophorum ). However, I have not found the passage.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(13-06-2023, 10:38 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ( Turba philosophorum ). However, I have not found the passage.
There are several versions. It's in the critical edition by Grégoire Lacaze (2018) : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Other famous flowery titles:

Flos florum (Liber perfecti magisterii) and Rosarius by Pseudo-Arnaldus de Villa Nova,

Rosarium philosophicum, of course,

Rosarius minor by Geber, starts with the metaphors of the rosary and gardener:
Quote:Descendi in hortum meum, ut viderem plantas diversorum nascentium, & inter flores caeteros rosarii mei, inveni rosam niveam seu albam, ...

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 14-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 11:43 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Other famous flowery titles:

Flos florum (Liber perfecti magisterii) and Rosarius by Pseudo-Arnaldus de Villa Nova,

Rosarium philosophicum, of course,

Rosarius minor by Geber, starts with the metaphors of the rosary and gardener:

Cool, until now I only knew the Rosarium philosophicum Cool

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - ReneZ - 15-06-2023

In my earliest days of the Voynich MS I was intrigued about a book called 'Flores Albumasaris'.
Albumasar plays a role in the definition of paranatellonta, which may (or may not) be represented in the Voynich zodiac. And I was misled in the same way as earlier in this thread about the meaning of 'flores'.

At least it can be added to the list of 'flowery titles".

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Koen G - 15-06-2023

I got my "it's not really about flowers" moment when I first learned about the Liber Floridus. Which is not about flowers.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - nablator - 15-06-2023

This looks interesting:

Quote:Incipit:
Recipe flores Martis flores emathitis flores vitrioli
Vienna
Österreichische Nationalbibliothek 5286
Folios/Pages:
f. 142v
Subject(s):
Recipes
Date:
(15c)
TK Number:
1324N

Recipes organized in paragraphs:
Viewer page 286 -> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

And yet another liber Lilium !

"Liber nominatus benedictum Lilium inter spinas" similar title but unrelated text apparently Sad

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 15-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 10:16 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I got my "it's not really about flowers" moment when I first learned about the Liber Floridus. Which is not about flowers.

(15-06-2023, 09:46 AM)ReneZ Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.At least it can be added to the list of 'flowery titles".

Yes, it is available online in digital form.
Flores Albumasaris

In the meantime I feel really stupid for having taken "Flores secretorum" literally Blush

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - nablator - 15-06-2023

(13-06-2023, 09:59 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There is a curious one with a planets/metals/trees metaphor: Liber Yrbonis et Jalsinis
BNF Latin 11202 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
BNF Latin 7171 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Leiden, Universiteitsbibl., Voss. chym. Q. 6 : Liber Yrbo et Jalim (fragment) catalogue only here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Printed edition as a prelude to the Pretiosa Margarita Novella (1546) pg. 30-46 : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

(15-06-2023, 08:00 PM)R. Sale Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Like the recent misinterpretation of "flores" as real flowers, I'll bet the trees (arbores) aren't really trees, either. It makes you wonder about the extent of mercury toxicity.
Smile
You can be sure that they are not real trees. These are connected in mysterious ways. Any idea why?

The previous (15th century) illustrator didn't add symbols above the trunks. Would the meaning be too obvious?