The Voynich Ninja
Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS (/thread-1745.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 09-07-2021

Does anyone know where this illustration comes from ( by whom ) ?

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Searcher - 09-07-2021

(09-07-2021, 01:04 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Does anyone know where this illustration comes from ( by whom ) ?
On the Levity, it (the left bottom picture)  is denoted as Fourneau by J. De Vries, 16 c., but Google seems not to know this person.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Paris - 09-07-2021

I don't know who is J. de Vries.
Maybe Adriaen de Vries (1545-1626) who was more a sculptor than an illustrator ?
He sculpted for the Emperor Rudolph II during twenty years.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Helmut Winkler - 09-07-2021

Very likely  Hans Vredeman de Vries, v. Wikipedia

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

The corresponding page from the book linked above:

The author's name here is Vriese. Who exactly that is doesn't seem to be in the book either.

On page 229 there is an illustration by Vriese that is supposed to be in the BNF, but I cannot find it there.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - nablator - 09-07-2021

(09-07-2021, 07:44 PM)bi3mw Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[...]
Retorts on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , right?

I wrote an email to Adam McLean and asked for the source. Maybe he has a database of the emblems presented on Levity. It is worth a try in any case.

(09-07-2021, 11:06 PM)nablator Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Retorts on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. , right?
An interesting thought. I was thinking especially of the "nymphs" and the cooling flask at the top right.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 10-07-2021

I found the other engraving by Vriese mentioned in post 165 ( on page 229 in Lacroix`s book ) in an early 17th century book. It is the "Amphitheatrum sapientiae aeternae", written by Heinrich Khunrath ( 1609 ). It is most likely not the oldest book in which this engraving is shown, but there are already very clear qualitative differences to the depiction in Lacroix`s book. For example, it is much more detailed inscripted. It is quite possible that the engraving we are looking for here also contains inscriptions in older editions. That is why I continue to search.

P.S.: I have also found the emblems of Vriese's alchemists. They are illustrated in the "Hydrolithus Sophicus, seu Aquarium sapientum" of the 1625 edition ( all on one page ).This is probably not the oldest work either. There seem to be differences in quality here too (in the level of detail).

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

All in all, one can expect that the engraving we are looking for in an older edition shows a higher quality than in Lacroix's book. This is probably not a question of resolution, but rather depends on the template.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Linda - 11-07-2021

I didn't know if the original diagram posting was his but now that you posted the other one, perhaps this helps you

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (aka Joannes)

[Image: 613px-Hans_Vredeman_de_Vries-portrait.jpg][Image: Fotothek_df_tg_0007051_Portr%C3%A4t_%5E_...hitekt.jpg]

There are many woodcuts "after Vriese"