The Voynich Ninja
Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS (/thread-1745.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 05-07-2021

Addendum: Rupescissa, for example, saw the distillation as the third stage of the process to the philosopher's stone. Here again an allegorical connection to Christ is established.

Quote:Tara Nummedal (2013), Alchemy and Religion in Christian Europe, Ambix, p.314

The fourteenth-century Franciscan John of Rupescissa offers only one example from this rich tradition. In his striking interpretation of an earlier alchemical author, pseudo-Arnald of Villanova, Rupescissa likens the third stage of the philosophers' stone, a distillation, to the crucifixion. Observing the digestion of alchemical mercury and the ascent of its vapours to the head of the alembic, Rupescissa saw Christ's ascension on the cross: “mercury is placed in the bottom of the vessel for dissolution,” he wrote, “because what ascends from there is pure and spiritual, and converted into powdery air and exalted in the cross of the head of the alembic just like Christ, as master Arnald [of Villanova] says.” Likewise, the alchemical vessel that enclosed the final stage of the red stone resembled “Christ inside the sepulcher.” Once the flames had brought out the internal redness of the stone, the alchemist was to remove the red stone from its vessel so that it would “ascend from the sepulcher of the Most Excellent King, shining and glorious, resuscitated from the dead and wearing a red diadem, just as Master Arnald has attested.” Although Rupescissa spun out this analogy in words, it appeared in image as well, for example, in the successful Rosarium philosophorum, which appeared in print in 1550 as the second volume of a compendium of alchemical texts.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Interestingly, two of the nymphs wear large diadems at the bottom of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. . Who knows if that has something to say.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Koen G - 05-07-2021

It's surprising to me how many of these early alchemists combined interest in medicine and Church reform You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 05-07-2021

In the German Wikipedia it is noted that Arnaldus de Villanova rejected alchemy although various works of pseudo-authors were "foisted" on him. Of influence in alchemy, however, was his alcohol distillation (especially on Rupescissa).

There were certain similarities between Arnaldus de Villa Nova and Rupescissa. Both believed in the coming of the Antichrist and propagated a reform of the Church. This earned them indictments and imprisonment.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 06-07-2021

For fermentation:
It's not just the alcohol. Many things can be fermented.
For example, cabbage can be fermented. The Germans call it sauerkraut, and in Korea they call it kimchi.

Or fermented fish. You really need a strong stomach to eat that. In Northern Europe and Asia, they're into it.

Lastly, schnapps made from fermented fish. I can't even think about it.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - DONJCH - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 06:55 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Or fermented fish. You really need a strong stomach to eat that.
Didn't the Romans also love fermented fish sauce? Certainly this is an essential ingredient in the delicious SE Asian recipes! Fermented prawns (balachan) too!

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 06-07-2021

Yes, that's right.

The Romans used fermented fish in vinegar mainly for seasoning. A lot of it was discovered during excavations in Pompei.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 06-07-2021

Surströmming, ugh, I'd rather deal with such pleasant things as the fermentation of grapes. There's nothing like a glass of good wine Smile

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 06-07-2021

On the subject of inedible, I have here a description of how to make the "Fifth Essence of gold". This was certainly not intended for drinking (despite the use of wine and wine vinegar):

Quote:Rupescissa maintained that once a successful process was found that it could be used in the pursuit of fifth essence on a variety of materials. The materials first needed to be “digested” by being slowly cooked over a low heat and have salt * added to it. Once the resulting subtle parts were removed they could be mixed with a quintessence of wine (obtained through its own regiment of distillations). In order to find the fifth essence of gold Rupescissa recommended mixing gold with mercury and then combining that with distilled “philosophical vinegar” (the result of a distilled wine vinegar and nitric and hydrochloric acids) and heating the oil mixture over a fire.

* Salt is known to be a chemical compound consisting of sodium and chloride, but the alchemists believed it to be a single element. I do not know if this salt is meant. It could also mean, for example, a nitrous salt, such as saltpeter.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 08-07-2021

I think it is normal salt that was considered an element.
In the past, saltpetre was collected from pigs and cowsheds for gunpowder before it was mined.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 08-07-2021

Hmm, so saltpetre alone actually makes little sense. It would simply burn off when heated. It should actually be a salt (or a salt solution) that can dissolve or at least bind substances. I have no idea whether such a salt exists.
I only know that vitriol and alums were also used to make sulphuric acid and nitric acid. So I would guess a mixture of salts. The resulting acids would then have the properties needed.

Quote:....
Geber is also considered the discoverer of the mineral acids sulphuric acid and nitric acid. He obtained the former by "distillation" from the salts alum and vitriol, the latter by adding saltpetre (potassium nitrate) to the salt mixture *.

* The product was the so-called "aqua dissolutiva".

Edit: the whole thing can also be distilled: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.