The Voynich Ninja
Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Voynich Talk (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS (/thread-1745.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 30-06-2021

Hier steht Essenz für Flüssigkeit. Anderes Wort wäre Mixtur oder auch Wässerchen.
Wesen, normal Tier oder Kreatur. Hier aber steht es für geistlich.
zb. Das menschliche Wesen "Charakter", man spricht auch vom Geist des Weines ( Weingeist), oder allgemein Alkohol. Verwirrung der Sinne.

Here, essence stands for liquid. Another word would be Mixtur or Wässerchen.
Being, normally animal or creature. But here it stands for spiritual.
E.g. the human being "character", one also speaks of the spirit of wine (wine spirit), or alcohol in general. Confusion of the senses.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - R. Sale - 30-06-2021

Well, you know the ancient Greeks used to consider intoxication as a manifestation of divine possession.

Any chance that guy was alcoholic, drunk, delusional, demented, and spouting off a bunch of hypothetical glitter?

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 30-06-2021

(30-06-2021, 06:00 PM)R. Sale Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Any chance that guy was alcoholic, drunk, delusional, demented, and spouting off a bunch of hypothetical glitter?
Well R. Sale, I would say Rupescissa was a child of his time.

Cheers Wink

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Koen G - 30-06-2021

bi3mw, what would you consider the most obvious "alchemy folios" in the VM?

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 30-06-2021

(30-06-2021, 07:11 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.bi3mw, what would you consider the most obvious "alchemy folios" in the VM?
Koen, as I said, for me quire 13 is altogether "suspicious" in terms of medicinal-alchemical content. I cannot offer a holistic concept, but the individual illustrations give me enough reason to speculate.

What is clear is that one will search in vain for "classical" alchemical symbolism in the VMS. Nevertheless, in my opinion, the illustrations describe medical-alchemical processes in an more abstract, untypical way.

For example, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. illustration on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. strikes me as clearly alchemistic.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 01-07-2021

f77r is certainly not classic, but it is a good example and procedurally correct.
I look at the top picture. As it looks, something is being separated. I don't think that a product solution is already being split up here.
Based on the previous page, the ingredients are ordered here.
Example: flowers, leaves, roots, fruits, seeds, kernels, etc.
Let's take plums.
Now I have to decide what I want to make.
Do I make cake or juice, wine and distil it into schnapps.
But if I want prussic acid, I only need the seeds. I make several products from the same raw material.
Maybe I want tea, dried flowers and leaves wouldn't be bad. In winter, I might stick to the roots.

This would be a logical sequence, but it is not classical.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 01-07-2021

What I also think is very likely is that the illustration at the top of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. represents the elements. Beside the four elements air, water, fire and earth still another fifth element is illustrated in the center. This element is (according to Rupescissa) the "quinta essentia" or the "funfften wesen".

Quote: "The four terrestrial elements are actually corrupted versions of the quintessence that grow even more corrupt over time." ( Testamentum, Pseudo-Llull )

However, Rupescissa believed otherwise:
Quote: "... although Rupescissa did not believe the four elements to be of the same substance as the quintessence. In Fact Rupescissa  emphasizes that the quintessence is altogether outside the the terrestrial elements, hence its power to overthrow corrupted nature."

( DeVun, L. Prophecy, Alchemy, and the End of Time, Columbia University Press, 2009, p. 97).

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Aga Tentakulus - 01-07-2021

Who knows, maybe it has something to do with the elements.

But what about the exits on the left and right. On the left it looks more like liquid, but on the right it looks dry and powdery.

And it is female and male.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - Koen G - 01-07-2021

I agree, if there is reference to quintessence in the VM then this is probably the most obvious place to look. Note that the male figure is most likely breathing into the pipe - look at his puffed cheeks. "Breath" can mean creation, life.

RE: Alchemical Symbolism in the VMS - bi3mw - 01-07-2021

(01-07-2021, 03:01 PM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.But what about the exits on the left and right. On the left it looks more like liquid, but on the right it looks dry and powdery.
Well, maybe that's because on the left are the elements of air and water, and on the right are fire and earth. Accordingly, then, is the further course of the process of division.

I would see the entire process across this and subsequent folios as more of an allegory than a technically comprehensible description of a distillation. However, the separation of substances is a theme that is evident throughout the following folios (not consistently, but again and again ).

Here are two examples:

Here the comparison to a "normal" representation in the "Liber de secretis naturae seu de quinta essentia"(1498, Pseudo-Lull):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.