The Voynich Ninja
phonetic study - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Analysis of the text (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: phonetic study (/thread-1397.html)

phonetic study - Davidsch - 04-01-2017

Matching the appropriate syllabes to phonetic values has my focus at the current moment.

Was/Is there someone who is engaged in phonetic study of the letters in the VMS, I would love to read more on it.

RE: phonetic study - farmerjohn - 04-01-2017

Davidsch, i'm working on the VMS, considering it's written with phonetic cipher. In Latin, of course.
This assumption divides the task into two: 
1) match VMS glyphs to phonemes
2) match Latin words to pronunciation
And that's a complete disaster. When the key goes wrong you are never sure if it's due to error in 1) or in 2) or in both.

For example at the moment I suppose that Latin c is pronounced as [k] when it is the first consonant of the word and the next sound is [u] or [a] (but not [o]). Otherwise it's [c]. Also t in Medieval Latin is sometimes pronounced as [c], sometimes as [t]. Summing up I think that:
1) VMS-q is q and c as [k]
2) VMS-e is c as [c] and t as [c]
3) VMS-k is t as [t]
Woooh... Not easy to decode with that approach, I should say.

RE: phonetic study - Sam G - 04-01-2017

I discussed some of my ideas about this with Emma May Smith a few months back (my comments begin on page two):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

It's not my main focus, mainly because I think we can't precisely figure out the sounds without identifying the language, and I don't think we can identify the language because there's probably no other record of it.  But some phonetic interpretations of the letters seem more likely to be correct than others.

If you have any questions, I can answer them.  Or you can post your own ideas/analyses, and I can give you feedback.

You might also want to look at Emma's blog, since her approach to the text seems to be more based around phonetics and phonology than mine: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: phonetic study - Davidsch - 04-01-2017

Hi John (I assume)

Understandable that it doesn't work when you take 1 or 2 VMS characters = 1 sound.
That can be easily explained by the visual aid I called "language dna", have a look You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.and the associated pages. It means: if you change the alphabet into something else, a sound or a symbol of any kind, it does not change the graph. That way any language can easily be identified. 

However, if you express one language into another phonetically and both languages are not related, it can not be easily identified. So, that is where I am looking now. See for example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. of jen/febr. 2016 where phonetic German was written in the Hebrew standard.

If there are sounds to be transposed, this would mean we should take strings of characters that vary in length between 0 and 6 characters per sound. 
for example:   dain could sound like [de...] where +.. is still unknown to me.