The Voynich Ninja
[Movie] HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Movie] HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN (/thread-1358.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Wolfgang99 - 01-08-2017

Saying thank you to  Mr. Zandbergen for sharing microscope image (the only one till now) I show what I see in that image…

I also attach a screen shot of microscope image scaled and inserted in my cad drawing: as you can see many lines and curves matches some microscopic symbols I found.
Beinecke 400 DPI enlargement  are within an hair’s breadth of being readable, in the example I identified many microscopic symbols.
Microscope definition is excessive and probably would be usefull for reading the first and the last page but give us important clues to understand how letters were written.

In short, the letter sequence of the two voynich letters container “4” and “o” should be:
14-67-X-55-55-Y-38-26 and 116-39-116-04-Z
Sample is too little to give a solution for these reasons:
Also for the ancient reader was difficult to find the beginning and the end of each letter/microscopic symbol thus he had to use pin-maps;
He used stencils to match letters/microscopic symbols: we have first to determine for certain the 96 symbols;
Every Latin letter can be written using four different “fonts” (I can write the same Latin letter using four different microscopic symbol) and here there are only 11 symbols  out of 96

Thank you for your attention

FINALLY, MATERIAL (ENLARGEMENTS) EXISTS BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO SHARE IT

On my thesis again: let's speak about letter "S" written on F57V, can someone find a better explanation than mine in
VOYNICH REVELATIONS
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
minute time [14:17]
it's a coincidence, the Author had a sudden impulse and wrote a Latin letter "S"  on the bottom of the page
Big Grin

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 01-08-2017

It's not the letter "s".

It's a g or a y, most likely a g. I have many examples of Gothic cursive where g and y (with a line over it as an abbreviation) are written like this.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Paris - 01-08-2017

Wolfgang99,

For me, it's a latin letter, an uncommon latin letter.

Ƽ

An english page : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 01-08-2017

For interest's sake, I grabbed examples from my database that illustrate how this particular style of g was written in the middle ages (there were many other styles of g, but these have a flat extended top-stem and an open, not curled, descender). The second row includes the ones that most closely resemble the VMS glyph in the sense that a "y" shape is written first with the stem added after. They are sampled from words that could be clearly read so that the identity of the letter was known.

[Image: LetterGExamples.png]

One additional note, letters that are written with a brush rather than a quill often have the characteristics of the VMS letter. The strokes are simpler and more direct and fade out more at the tips due to the way a brush moves, compared to a quill. This is probably drawn with a quill (note the darker edges on the downstem, something that happens more often with a quill than a brush), but perhaps it was written by someone used to handling a brush.

[Edit: addition] Here's another example. It's drawn as a "y" first and then the line is added across the top—the same way the VMS character is drawn. If you're wondering what it says, it stands for "grado" (first "degree"):

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Helmut Winkler - 02-08-2017

(01-08-2017, 11:39 PM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.[Edit: addition] Here's another example. It's drawn as a "y" first and then the line is added across the top—the same way the VMS character is drawn. If you're wondering what it says, it stands for "grado" (first "degree"):

Can you give a reference, URL or shelf mark?

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 02-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 07:54 AM)Helmut Winkler Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Can you give a reference, URL or shelf mark?

Yes, it's SAN-Hss Ms. lat. 85 on the MDZ viewer. A manuscript from Ansbach.

The hand is variable, but if you leaf through it, you'll see many examples where the g has the bottom tail and beginning loop slightly disconnected from the top stroke because of the way he writes the bottom part first and then the stroke on the top. Sometimes he connects it, sometimes he doesn't.

There are also many examples of the Latin go (degree) abbreviation since the manuscript is medicine-related and they classified many things (heat, cold, plants, etc.) according to 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc.

I'm not claiming this is the best example, it's just one of many that I've come across and happened to have in my database in which the bottom of the g is written first, like a "y", with a stroke then added on top.

Here's another example by the same scribe (the one on the right) of the abbreviation commonly used for first degree/first grade:

And... I'm not 100% certain the VMS glyph is a g because scribes who wrote a g this way often also wrote the y this way and often there would be an abbreviation symbol above it. In fact, in the Ansbach manuscript, I came across a y like this with a line over it that looks very similar to the g, but unfortunately neglected to screensnap it. The VMS doesn't give enough context for knowing if it's g or y (or something else).

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Helmut Winkler - 02-08-2017

(02-08-2017, 08:17 AM)-JKP- Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yes, it's SAN-Hss Ms. lat. 85 on the MDZ viewer. A manuscript from Ansbach.

Dankeschön