The Voynich Ninja
[Movie] HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Printable Version

+- The Voynich Ninja (https://www.voynich.ninja)
+-- Forum: Voynich Research (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://www.voynich.ninja/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [Movie] HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN (/thread-1358.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Wolfgang99 - 28-12-2016

NEW VIDEO!!! VOYNICH LETTERS CONTAINER SYSTEM & STENCILS WORKING 

here it is!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Maybe now you also have understood how Voynich was written...

Now all my video have ENGLISH SUBTITLES, SOTTOTITOLI IN ITALIANO, SUBTÍTULOS EN ESPAÑOL!:

I did my bit, now you have to do your's
there should be someone who can access Voynich and can take and share a close photo!

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 28-12-2016

Wolfgang99 wrote: NEW VIDEO!!! VOYNICH LETTERS CONTAINER SYSTEM & STENCILS WORKING 

here it is!

Maybe now you also have understood how Voynich was written...

Now all my video have ENGLISH SUBTITLES, SOTTOTITOLI IN ITALIANO, SUBTÍTULOS EN ESPAÑOL!:

I did my bit, now you have to do your's

Wolfgang, the Voynich manuscript is a comparatively small document (in physical terms), about the size of a trade paperback, and the people who wrote the text were not experts with a pen. The kind of subtle differences in letters you have proposed would be very difficult to control at that scale with those materials.

Wolfgang wrote: I did my bit, now you have to do your's

Also, this is a personal peeve of mine... people who come along with a theory and think it's enough to put out the idea and then ask other people to do the actual work in proving that it's valid and translating the text (while still giving credit to the person who put out the idea), do not win my respect. I believe it's up to the person promoting the theory to provide enough support for their ideas to at least establish their validity and show a convincing translation of a block of text so they are not wasting everyone else's time.

I saw the video you put on youtube a year ago...

The idea of there being distinctions between the different shapes and meaning assigned to subshapes is an idea worth pursuing but the person with the theory has to demonstrate the degree to which the differences in pen strokes are significant enough to carry meaning. I am not convinced that the text generated by your idea is mapped as consistently to the text as you suggest or that certain flicks of the pen are what you say they are (bumps in the vellum determine some of the strokes). I am also suspicious of systems where many different interpretations are given for each shape—they are similar to anagrams in the sense that you can pick and choose what you want to create meaning.

Wolfgang wrote: there should be someone who can access Voynich and can take and share a close photo!

You have had this theory for quite a while now. Have you been able to translate an entire paragraph? We all appreciate getting better scans, especially of parts of the manuscript that are hard to see (like text that's hidden by folds), but I don't think a higher-resolution scan is going to make a great deal of difference in proving your idea. The current scans are already good enough that when you print the manuscript with a good printer on good paper, the result is almost twice the size of the original text.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Koen G - 28-12-2016

I've also been noticing the "this is how it works now somebody else solve it" trend. Completely agree with JKP's points about that. Sure, you can asks others' opinions and ask for help with aspects you don't understand. But if you aren't able to actually use your own system, then others surely won't be able to. And won't be inclined to try either.

I also agree that higher resolution scans won't help us, I'd even say on the contrary. They would allow for more theories based on aspects the original makers would have never been able to see.

Ink can't be controlled like that on those incredibly small scales, it always flows out a bit and that would mess up your entire alphabet. VM letters are really very small.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Wolfgang99 - 28-12-2016

first of all thank you for your review.
in the first video (30:25) I said (and now english subtitles are available):
Unluckily 400 DPI scans available at Beinecke Library are inadequate because it is very hard to make out letters, even with pin holes, I show you a well preserved text for example, it would takes years of attempts to find letters without certain results
the stencil I built is ten times bigger
it means that we are near a suitable enlargement but not enough to see letters clearly.
actually I could extract various words and various meanings but I don't want to do it.
please watch my CAD files, you became aware that this is the solution:
and explain the "S" letter on Folio 57v, gliphs, roots, how work leaf and wheels etc.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Wolfgang99 - 28-12-2016

anyway I think that suitable enlargements would be good for all (forgery theory and so on, the book is full of hidden traces)

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 28-12-2016

If you hold a ruler up to your monitor and shrink the browser window (Command-hyphen) so that it matches the ruler on the screen, you can get a sense of the small size of the VMS text. The scans show you more than you can easily see with the unaided eye and certainly more than one can control with the strokes of a quill pen.

[Image: Voy13rRuler-1.png]

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Wolfgang99 - 29-12-2016

it is your point of view.
with a close photo or at least 600/700 DPI enlargement I give the solution (deciphering)
it is not so difficult. this is an academic challenge
If I lose I apologize, If I win Beinecke will cut a sorry figure

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 29-12-2016

(29-12-2016, 12:08 PM)Wolfgang99 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.it is your point of view.
with a close photo or at least 600/700 DPI enlargement I give the solution (deciphering)
it is not so difficult. this is an academic challenge
If I lose I apologize, If I win Beinecke will cut a sorry figure

Yes, it is my point of view, but I have a lot of experience with quill pens and different writing surfaces and I know what is possible and not possible on such a small scale. I also can see that the VMS scribes were not highly skilled at calligraphy.

In addition to experience with pens, I have done a significant amount of macro photography and I know that what you can see with a digital camera or scanner is more than one can see with the unaided eye for certain kinds of details.

For each curve or tick mark to have a different meaning, and for each glyph to thus have 5 to 10 different letters/syllables/words encoded into one letter is improbable given the difficulty of controlling the pen at such a small scale. The text would have to be about three times bigger and even then, it would be a challenge to do it consistently so that it can be read back later.

I'm not trying to discourage you. It's a creative idea, and Frances Bacon created ciphers that were dependent on fine details, so it's not unprecedented, but the physical difficulties of applying it in a manuscript the size of the VMS are considerable.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - Diane - 30-12-2016

-JKP -
thanks for that image. May we re-print it off list - with attribution, of course.

PS - conversely, the precision of the Voynich scribes can seen by doing the same on sections of the map or the more detailed imagery in the 'bathy' section, the diagrams or the more ornate vessels in the 'roots and leaves' section.

RE: HOW VOYNICH WAS WRITTEN - -JKP- - 30-12-2016

(30-12-2016, 12:51 PM)Diane Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.-JKP -
thanks for that image. May we re-print it off list - with attribution, of course.

Yes, certainly. I think it's a point that many researchers overlook because they have not seen the manuscript in real life. The scans give the illusion of it being bigger than it really is. It might be good for a pic with a ruler to be available.