The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Miss Ugly Nymph Election 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I shall boldly put this thread in "Voynich talk", since technically it doesn't belong in "off topic".

While preparing my last blog post, I was looking for some particularly ugly/deformed nymph to illustrate a point. In fact, I was looking for the ugliest one. I soon realized that I alone was not up for the task, and I would need the help of the entire Voynich community. It's a true horror show in there.

That is why, ladies and gentlemen, I invite you all to the Blue Lion theatre for the first annual Miss Ugly Nymph Election 2016 (aka the MUNEs). 
The rules are simple: candidates submit their ugliest nymph to the pageant, and in the end a poll will decide who takes the crown.

My champion will be the nymph Φρικιαστικός. She resides on f.84r and her hobbies include waving, hiding behind friends and standing in shallow water.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=524]

HAHAHHAH KOEN Heart 
I will submit one later, when I am not in Starbucks, so people won't think I'm weird looking through all these women
Koen,

LOL x 2

I don't know about this. In your example, is that a crack across her forehead or just a wisp of her hair? If it is hair, she looks a bit matronly, but nothing abnormal. If it's some sort of fissure, then...

How about a simultaneous search for the best-looking VMs nymph as well. I'll vote for the one in the green dress, circa 2 o'clock on White Aries. She might be seen as tentative suggestive of Lady Bertilak.
LOL!!   Big Grin

The fissure in her forehead qualifies her to model for Picasso and the fingers look like they've turned to ramen.
Koen, I trust your judgment here, because of Panofsky's observation:

Quote:but also Dutch or Flemish influence in the female faces and figures

Big Grin
Rene - quite right, some of the world's finest ugliness is found in Dutch and Flemish female faces and figures Wink

R.Sale - I think you may be right! What I saw as a horrible cranial deformation might just be a lock of hair. This is against the MUNE rules, and I will have to disqualify my own submission. I shall replace her with this lady:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=531]

I must say that already I learned more from this thread than expected  Big Grin
Very funny!

Are you looking at me? If you found my hairpiece please call me on 800-1234

[attachment=532]
(03-09-2016, 10:22 PM)Koen Gh. Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I shall boldly put this thread in "Voynich talk", since technically it doesn't belong in "off topic".

While preparing my last blog post, I was looking for some particularly ugly/deformed nymph to illustrate a point.[Image: attachment.php?aid=524]

I like having fun with the VMs, but for me personally this thread crosses a line. It doesn't feel like a good fun. Sorry.
(03-09-2016, 11:53 PM)ThomasCoon Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.HAHAHHAH KOEN Heart 
I will submit one later, when I am not in Starbucks, so people won't think I'm weird looking through all these women

...and men... who don't look like Michelangelo's David either...
[attachment=543]
Ellie - I am opposed to all kinds of beauty competitions in real life - they don't belong in this time and give all kind of wrong messages. 

When it's about the way a bunch of fictional nymphs are depicted, however, it's about artistic qualities. These nymphs are drawn in a horrible way. They are not portraits of actual people.

Also, kind of weird to make us feel bad from your high horse in the first post and start participating in the next.
Pages: 1 2