The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: medieval history during period 1390-1440
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
At present i take keen interest in the medieval history during period 1390-1440

In some postings there was some interesting information about countries, movements of people, persecutions, kings, deaths, inventions etc.
And the suggestion made to open a new thread on history or maps was a good one.

Here we could collect information that is specific for that period.

Let me start by mentioning:

wikipedia You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
wikipedia You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
etc..

maps of the period:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.with maps (tuscany herbal thread) and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
The 1448 world map by Andreas Walsperger (Konstanz) is slightly later than the Voynich ms, but good digital images are available online and it's possible to read most of the place names.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
If any questions about Russia in that period, let me know Cool
i am not really into Russia in that period Anton, 
but is there something that is interesting, i am always open for new knowledge.

I saw the crenelations You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.and also the current You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.in Moscow has those, beyond those observations i did not go yet.
Yeah that's mentioned from time to time in the Voynich discussions. Smile 

The Kremlin was re-built many times. First it was built as a wooden fortress in XII century. This was destroyed by mongols during their invasion in XIII c. Later the wooden fortress was built again.

In XIV century, under the rule of Dmitry Donskoy, the wooden constructions were replaced by those of white stone.

In late XV century Ivan III decided to re-build Kremlin again. At first, local architects were invited, but the result of their work was not satisfactory, so Italian experts were invited instead. It was then when the Kremlin got its modern shape, built of hard-burnt brick.

So you see that those "guibelline" merlons of the Kremlin are just an import from Italy and are younger than the Voynich manuscript.
(19-05-2016, 12:38 PM)Anton Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view....

In late XV century Ivan III decided to re-build Kremlin again. At first, local architects were invited, but the result of their work was not satisfactory, so Italian experts were invited instead. It was then when the Kremlin got its modern shape, built of hard-burnt brick.

So you see that those "guibelline" merlons of the Kremlin are just an import from Italy and are younger than the Voynich manuscript.

Yes, very true.

The Ghibelline merlons became very popular in later years and were added to many rebuilt castles and walls in the 16th and 17th centuries. It's a real challenge to find images (or verbal descriptions) of those that existed in the early 15th century.
Rather than wars and maps, I've tried to look at medieval ideology. Obviously religion was significant. One major event was the Council of Constance (1415-1418), which put an end to the Great Schism of the Western Church - a period during which there were three simultaneous claimants to the exclusive title of Roman Catholic Pope. 'The Pope holds the keys to Heaven' as the saying goes - or - 'Will the real Pope please stand up?' And you other two, sit down! The people of this time either lived through the period of multiple popes, in the first portion, and then were mainly those who grew up under the schismatic era for much of the latter portion of this time.

In addition to historical events, let's also look at historical realities - things that were in place beforehand and continued through this period and beyond. A number of topics have been examined, but I suggest heraldry, which was a widespread and fairly consistent European tradition for centuries. Not only armorial heraldry, but ecclesiastical heraldry and church tradition were well-known throughout this time.

IMO, the investigation that can examine the tub patterns in the outer ring of VMs Pisces and not consider the possibility of heraldry as an ostensible interpretation, by the time we get to 3 o'clock, has demonstrated a lack of sufficient familiarity with the topic and bypassed a significant opportunity to further investigation. I have posted several threads about heraldry in the VMs Zodiac under 'Imagery' a little while back.
[Image: Nicosia_by_Giacomo_Franco.jpg]

cyprus : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
There's already quite a lot written about the period - and directly linked to the Vms - and also about maps, including ones from the fourteenth century, cartes marine, and relevant maps such as the Genoese map.

It's all been written up over the past several years on voynichimagery.wordpress.com

- although I daresay you knew that. Smile
Historical fact.

In her blog, Ellie shows how she interprets one of the VMS images (on f82r) as a cannon. The cannon in the VMS has trunnions, the things that stick out at the sides. In the early Fifteenth Century, I think the only people experimenting with the new design were the English and some of the French lands (Burgundy ?). Up to that time, cannons were long smooth tubes, usually strapped, roped or chained to carts or gun carriages, but with no trunnions. Trunnions allowed much easier elevating and depressing of the gun barrel, thus helping with the aiming process. They had the additional feature of allowing the gun carriage to be connected to the cannon securely, while still allowing the additional freedom of motion.

I think the limited area where the design was being tried at the time of the origin of the VMS might be related to the area where the VMS author/artist was from or living. Unless it was spy information being smuggled home to somewhere else, maybe gathered by a traveling salesman, cobbler/armorer, bookseller, apothecary or some other disguised agent.

To me, trunnions represented a giant step forward in the science of cannoneering. They might even be considered to be of such importance as to be the entire reason for being of the VMS, to someone looking for such things and wanting to inform the folks back home of the latest developments in the field. I don't believe this to be the case, but only mention it as a possibility. It is the only thing I have yet seen that might warrant all the subterfuge and mystery of the VMS.

I would like to congratulate Ellie again for seeing the cannon. It may turn out to be an important find.

Thank you.

Don of Tallahassee
Pages: 1 2 3