The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Folio 43r
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While continuing to search for words containing the combination pch, I came across the word cheol!keepchy/ cheol.keepchy, which is unique in the text.
Could this word be the name of the plant?
I read this word as kianuph9 and find it quite similar to the word κεάν-ωθος - corn-thistle, Carduus arvensis.
I have not yet looked up the identifications of the plant made earlier.
It is true that in this reading one vowel and one consonant are not identical, however it may be a dialect that would pronounce omega as upsilon and theta as f?
Although Theophrastus called κεανωθοσ a thorny plant, "which stings and hurts from the top"*, from ανωθεν-from above, today the name ceanothus refers to the California lilac.
The image of our plant is complex, containing many elements, except the thorns.
Between thistle and California lilac, was this name applied to other plants?

* Le jardin des Racines grecques by Lancelot, Claude, 1615?-1695; Le Maitre de Saci, Louis Isaac; Regnier, Jacques Auguste Adolphe, 1804-1884?  Paris, Hachette, 1844
Wikipedia says:  "Ceanothus" comes from Ancient Greekκεάνωθος (keanōthos), which was applied by Theophrastus (371–287 BC) to an Old World plant believed to be Cirsium arvense.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

So, apparently, it's not some lilac, but a different plant entirely. It's a thistle.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(12-02-2023, 08:26 PM)R. Sale Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.So, apparently, it's not some lilac, but a different plant entirely. It's a thistle.
Indeed, that is what I wrote: botanists interpret the word κεανωθοσ, used by Theophrastus, as the name of a thorny plant, perhaps thistle, whereas currently this name, in Latin, designates the Californian lilac (not related to the true lilac). As American plants will inevitably lead us to other topics of discussion, I wonder if there are other plants that have received similar names.
I found, for example, that Carl von Linnaeus, in Species plantarum (1753), gave the name Ceanothus to the American, Asian (Ceylon) and African (Ethiopia) species.
The drawing in 43r shows a group of nine plants, placed either in two rows or in a circle, with five plants in the foreground and four behind. 
The roots evoke the legs of ballerinas.

[Image: dance-f43r.jpg]