The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: A Cusanus Ladin Hypothesis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Being a retired academic with way too much time on my hands, I have applied myself to the VMS full time for the last six months or so. It’s not the first time; I often included the VMS as a topic when I taught an Honours program in ‘Lost Texts and Apocrypha’ in the years 2000-2010. I’ve studied it over time and now in some depth.

I have a fully developed contextual reading of the work and an hypothesis regarding its authorship, contents and purpose that I’d like to share here. I regard the hypothesis as very solid in itself (or at least sane), and apply it as my paradigm for tackling the real challenge, the reading of the text. On reflection, establishing the context and the author is the easy part; working out exactly what the author has done in the text is admittedly more tricky. In my methodology the task is to get text, context and subtext to all align. Only then will all be clear and a ‘solution’ emerge.

I’II call the hypothesis the Cusanus Ladin Hypothesis. Here are twelve points, each of which I think is defensible and together constitute a plausible case.

Argument: Nicholas of Cusa is the mind behind the Voynich manuscript.

1. The Voynich ms. is from the mid 1400s. (My hypothesis requires a date perhaps a decade later than the carbon dating.)

2. The Voynich ms. is from alpine northern Italy.

3. The Rosette map - the key to the work - depicts the Rosengarten mountain region of the Dolomites (and, crucially, the symbolism of the Alpenglow.)

4. The nymphs depicted are from the mythology of the Ladin people of that region.

5. The illustrations in the manuscript reflect the ancient herb gathering traditions of the Ladin people of alpine northern Italy.

6. In contrast to the illustrations, the text and language in the Voynich ms. are highly artificial constructions that seem generated by complex, systematic methods.

7. The text could not have been made by rustic herb gatherers from the remote valleys of the Rosengarten mountains. It is the creation of a highly educated mind. The script and other factors suggest the author was a humanist scholar.

8. The type of system used to create the Voynich text is highly suggestive of the systems of Ramon Llull. (Ars Magna)

9. In the relevant period, the main advocate of Ramon Llull’s methods and the great humanist scholar of Llullism, collector of Lllull’s works, was Nicholas of Cusa.

10. Nicholas of Cusa was made bishop over the relevant region and people (Bishop of Brixen) in 1450 and served in that role for about eight years. (It was a turbulent but still very creative phase of Cusanus' life.)

11. In the writings of both Llull and Cusanus there is discussion of applying the Ars Magna to herbalism and medicine and the natural sciences generally.

12. Summary: In the illustrations we can identify the herbal traditions of alpine northern Italy. In the text we can identify the systems of Ramon Llull. The person who links these two identifications is Nicholas of Cusa. He was the Llullian scholar, a Christian humanist, who was in a position to have a prolonged encounter with the relevant herbal tradition.

Conclusion: Therefore, the manuscript is likely to be a project of Nicholas of Cusa undertaken during his time as Bishop of Brixen. It brings the Ars Magna of Llull to a preexisting herbal tradition from alpine northern Italy.

It follows: To decipher the text, we need to understand Nicholas of Cusa’s use of the Ars Magna of Ramon Llull and how he might have applied it (or his own developments of Lllullism) in this case.

We have a capable genius, the right type of mind, in the relevant region, in the relevant period, with plausible motive. It is a circumstantial case but, I think, a strong one.

Important additional context: the work is Christianizing. It is a Christianization (Christian humanism) of the native Ladin herbal tradition (and its mythology) made in the context of the rising tide of witch-hunts in the region. (Which Cusanus resisted.)

Surmise: The work is likely to concern measurements in the natural sciences - the nymphs are shown measuring – and is an application of Cusanus’ rather mystical theories regarding weights and measures as well as cartography and his other non-theological preoccupations well signalled in his lesser writings and dialogues with the “layman”. A key work is his Conjectures.

Languages: The natural language that goes with the traditions depicted in the illustrations is what we today call Ladin but at the time would have been regarded as a primitive Latin, and was entirely unwritten. I propose that Ladin (a vulgar Latin with Rhaetean fusions) is at least in the background of the work. (I don't propose the text is a simple mapping of Ladin.) Otherwise, Nicholas of Cusa has Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Catalan, German, Italian and a smattering of others within his range. Even such an artificial construction as Voynichese must have a natural language underpinning it. 

Note well: I doubt Cusanus himself put nib to vallum, and he is not the illustrator. It was not a private folly. But I do believe it was his project. 

I am well aware I am not the first person to throw the name ‘Nicholas of Cusa’ into the ring. I am personally satisfied he is the author and the mind behind the work. (I resisted the identification at first, but I think it is an unavoidable conclusion.) The script and the text is his. The quest for me is to work out precisely what he has done (and perhaps with whom?)

I do not think Voynichese is an encryption even though Cusanus, as a diplomat, certainly would have been familiar with all the standard methods of his day. More generally, I do not think the text was intended to conceal. I don't detect a subtext of concealment. We only think that because we lack the key to read it. It is more likely to be pastoral in intent. I suspect its linguistic mysteries may have more to do with some concern for the illiterate Ladin. 

What I add to the identification of the author is the proposal that the work comes out of his pastoral encounter with the Ladin people (herb gatherers) from the remote alpine valleys (probably in the context of their pilgrimages to Saben, ancient centre of the bishopric.)

I spend my days exploring this hypothesis, searching for a way into the text through this context. (I join that long list of researchers who are all very confident they are on the right path.)

RB
@Hermes777
It's not that I'm just advocating the same theory. The references almost force me to do so.
Your lists are only a small part of the evidence.
I leave it open whether the person you mentioned is the author of the VM.
I don't know if it was the same bishop, but I am waiting for the scan of his diary where it is still written in old Ladin. I have heard that it is 1 in 10 in this language. There is simply too little comparative material.

Other notes in the text:
1. there are almost no double consonants.
2. the "o" has a triple meaning. o" can stand for "der,die, das." but also for "ich" and, of course, the intrinsic value "o".
3. the "c" also has a triple meaning.
The "y" in the German text "f66" also refers to the region. But it also means "and" in Slavic.

And so on. There are so many clues, but more important is how they relate to each other.
For me, the region of origin is quite clear.

Translated with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (free version)
(04-07-2022, 12:33 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The type of system used to create the Voynich text is highly suggestive of the systems of Ramon Llull
I am interested in the text and would be happy to learn more about this system, was it already discussed on this forum?
(04-07-2022, 08:42 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(04-07-2022, 12:33 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The type of system used to create the Voynich text is highly suggestive of the systems of Ramon Llull
I am interested in the text and would be happy to learn more about this system, was it already discussed on this forum?

Ruby, I am not sure if Llull has been covered in this forum, but his name has been thrown around a bit over the years. I note for instance that Robert Firth, years back now, suggested that Llull would be a candidate for devising systems that might generate the sort of linguistic patterns evident in the VMs. Llull was too early, but his biggest fan, Nicholas of Cusa, was in the appropriate period. 

There are various ways of deconstructing the text into syllables or word fragments. If these are plotted onto wheels within wheels you can devise systems that will reproduce a good number of Voynichese words (vords) - but never all of them. Various arrangements produce better or worse results. In any case, there is strong evidence of a system of combinatorics. Take almost any Voynich word and all its variations are exhausted throughout the text. 

This all suggests the sort of systems Llull had devised. Cusanus was an avid student of Llull's Art. I suspect the Voynich text is some application or development of the Llullian Art by Cusanus. I think it could be fruitful to explore the text from this viewpoint. But what has Cusanus done? And why did it require a special script? There are endless questions.
(04-07-2022, 12:33 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.The type of system used to create the Voynich text is highly suggestive of the systems of Ramon Llull. (Ars Magna)

The idea that a combinatorial methodology ( Ars Brevis / Ars Magna ) inspired by Llull could have been used in the creation of the text I find very interesting.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
[attachment=6642]
Here is a picture of a Lull disc.
But I don't think this was designed for the VM.
In terms of time, it would not be a problem.
Nicholas had a deep interest in the Llulian Art. There is a story told by Bessarion, the great Greek humanist, where he and Cusanus were out hunting. The rabbit they were pursuing suddenly vanished. "Where could it be hiding?" wondered Bessarion. Cusanus then suggested they should consult the Ars Magna, and quoted the operation relevant to the inquiry: Where has the rabbit gone? Cusanus was only joking, and making light of it, but the story illustrates the currency of the Ars Magna in those intellectual circles and how it presents itself as a type of universal oracle. 

The question for me is how Cusanus (who I take to be the author) has adapted and deployed the Art in the creation of the Voynich language and text. A very useful recent article is that of René Zandbergen - The Cardan grille approach to the Voynich MS taken to the next level where Zandbergen considers what system of wheels-within-wheels might have created the patterns we see in the text. That type of approach takes us into Llullian territory. 

Cusanus was not a mere copier of Llull though. What I see in the Voynich is the Cusaean cosmology which owes much to Llull but is Cusanus' own development. It is not Llull that needs to be studied here, but Cusanus' Llullism. Most studies of Llull (and Cusanus) dwell on the applications of the Art to religious dialogue and theological questions, or else there are celebrations of the Ars Magna as a proto-computer. Less attention is given to the application of the Art to the natural sciences, which is what is relevant here. Not much attention is given to it because it did not lead directly into modern natural sciences. Rather, it was a refinement of traditional medieval cosmology, a more involved way of thinking about the traditional four elements, for instance. 

Llull began the process of extending his system to language and grammatical categories, and started marking elements within the Art with Latin suffixes - steps towards an artificial philosophical language. I think that Cusanus developed this further, and we find the results of it in the Voynich.
Here is a passage from Cusanus that I find enormously intriguing vis-a-vis the Voynich:

One element universally enfolds within itself three elements; but the three elements generally enfold within themselves nine elements; and the nine specifically enfold within themselves twenty-seven elements. Therefore, the cube of three is the specific unfolding of the oneness of each element. But the species enfolds its own specific elements, just as the specific Latin language has its own specific elemental letters. Although these specific letters are few, they are of inexhaustible power. Hence, just as a Latin sentence consists of certain very universal letters, of general letters, of somewhat specific letters, and, lastly, of very specific letters—all contracted to the Latin sentence—so too every sensible-particular is like a complete sentence.

The Conjectures, 95. 

Here we see Cusanus' development (refinement) of the traditional analogy between cosmos and text, known as the stoicheon analogy, its classical source being Plato's Timaeus. I think we need to appreciate this type of thinking in order to understand what is going on in the VMs.
(04-07-2022, 09:53 AM)Hermes777 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Ruby, I am not sure if Llull has been covered in this forum, but his name has been thrown around a bit over the years. I note for instance that Robert Firth, years back now, suggested that Llull would be a candidate for devising systems that might generate the sort of linguistic patterns evident in the VMs. Llull was too early, but his biggest fan, Nicholas of Cusa, was in the appropriate period. 

You can find other discussions about Lull in many threads here, for example in this, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view..
As a noted astronomer, Nicholas of Cusa would have been familiar with the standard depictions of geocentric, cosmic spheres. What explains the structure of the VMs cosmos?

Also: In the Wikipedia article, there's a portrait of his tomb. On the lower part of the tomb, there's an emblem that is a combined representation of his cardinal's hat with tassels, and an armorial shield. On a gold field, a large lobster, or similar, possibly once red, or else appears black.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Pages: 1 2 3 4