The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: New blog page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone!
I've just added a new page, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., to my Reading Voynich blog, where I've decided to collect all the words I've looked at up to now with my translation suggestions.
Happy reading!
I am at 135 words, mostly Greek, a pittance compared to the total number of words in the manuscript.
I'm updating my new page regularly and I"m reviewing all my proposals from the last 10 years to see if I still agree.
Feel free to comment!
Some of the entries aren't really Greek. For example, these entries:

1. cheekaiin (2) – gunaun – γυνην, acc. of γυνη
  2. cheekain (3) – gunain – γυνην, acc. of γυνη

The problem is that γυνή ('woman') is irregular, and its accusative is actually γυναῖκα.
(29-06-2022, 09:14 AM)Stephen Carlson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.γυνή ('woman') is irregular, and its accusative is actually γυναῖκα
Thank you very much for your contribution, Stephen!
I don't know ancient Greek, nor, for that matter, modern Greek, so if I wrote a word, it means I found it in a dictionary.
[Image: gunhn-e1656495590910.jpg]

I would be more concerned about the reading, because currently I would read cheekain as kunain - κυνειν and cheekaiin as kunaun - κυνων, to be in harmony with the other words -ain/-aiin/-aiiin. Thanks again for pointing this out.
(29-06-2022, 10:42 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(29-06-2022, 09:14 AM)Stephen Carlson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.γυνή ('woman') is irregular, and its accusative is actually γυναῖκα
Thank you very much for your contribution, Stephen!
I don't know ancient Greek, nor, for that matter, modern Greek, so if I wrote a word, it means I found it in a dictionary.
Some specialized dictionaries cite rare dialectal forms, which occasionally happens in poetry to fit the meter, as here with the 5th cen. BC Pherecrates. So what's the claim? That the VM is Old Athenian Comedy? That it's written in verse? That it's written in a dialect that went extinct two thousand years before it was written? Greek isn't a monolithic whole: it has many dialects over many places and times. You can't just pick out words willy-nilly and hope it works.
(30-06-2022, 12:07 PM)Stephen Carlson Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Greek isn't a monolithic whole: it has many dialects over many places and times
I have a feeling that you are responding to your own comment, Stephen.
I continue to complete my list of analyzed words, I am currently at 236. 
The majority comes from the Greek language, because, surely, the starting point each time is either the "bath" or the "recipes" section. 
The words, which I assume to be Latin, are not even a dozen.

Do not hesitate to comment, the comments allow to clarify the doubtful points.
It's fun to reread your own thoughts from a decade ago. 
I hope to be able to pick up a few more words in my old writings.
Reviewing my old posts does not, for the moment, bring me new words, but rather new possible meanings, especially for short words.
Pages: 1 2