The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Latest Voynich blogpost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

- Lisa
Quote:If someone was correcting or editing the text after it was written, that adds to the evidence that there is in fact meaningful text underlying these mysterious glyphs...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I've always thought it was odd that some descriptions of the manuscript say there are no corrections - there may be fewer than expected (I imagine Lisa will know whether that's true) but there are indeed multiple places where glyphs appear to be overwritten or inserted afterwards.
Quote:If someone was correcting or editing the text after it was written, that adds to the evidence that there is in fact meaningful text underlying these mysterious glyphs...

If the scribe who made the correction was copying from a 'source' then it shows simply that the scribe was conscientious about their work Devil
His pay might even have been reduced if he made copying errors.

- - - -

Just to elaborate on this a bit more:

We don't yet know what was the 'scenario' in which the MS copy, as we have it now, was penned.
We can look at several scenarios that involve multiple scribes.

In case it was a family project, with several family members working together, there would be no reason to suspect that the people penning the MS would be paid. In this scenario, there would likely be an example or draft that they were working from. So, also, in this scenario, it is possible that they understood what they were copying, making a meaningful content more likely.
Alternatively, they might have been committed, or conscientious as RobGea was saying, and then there is no clear indication whether the text is meaningful or not.

One of my favourite scenarios (just a matter of taste, no particular argument behind it) is that this could be someone's 'life work', which he wants to have committed to parchment, and he hires a bunch of scribes who are paid to copy the example or draft.
In this case the scribes do not necessarily need to understand what they are copying. This is the scenario where they might either be committed, or their work is checked by the patron. This scenario does not say much about whether the text is meaningful or not.
(It might have been meaningful to the aforementioned patron only).
Lisa, why don't I see your blog in the Blogosphere reader?
(25-04-2022, 11:12 AM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Lisa, why don't I see your blog in the Blogosphere reader?

I'll ask David to include it, should be easy enough.
I've added it now.