The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: "En" as "ein"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is a question stimulated by a couple of observations. The first one is that we don't have any "ein" in all the Germanic marginalia throughout the MS, but we have quite a few occurrences of "en" there. The second one is a statistics observation which may be of importance if some kind of Germanic dialect is the language of the plain text. Since that's far from certain, I hold it back for now.

In short, in my latest pursuit of numericals, I've been in search for "ein".

The question is:

I recall from discussions in this forum, and from certain sources that I saw, that there have been medieval variants of the German word "ein", such as e.g. "ain" and, notably, "en".

I wonder whether there was/is a dialect which would substitute "en" (or something similar) not only for the distinct word "ein", but also for "ein" as prefix and suffix. For example, "Stein" would become "Sten", while "einander" would become "enander"

Something that immediately comes to my mind is Dutch, where "ein" is "een", and "Stein" is "Steen", but this is only "partial match", since e.g. there is no "reen" instead of "rein".
If you're looking for the indefinite article, as far as I know in Dutch it was always spelled as "een" and various inflections (eene, eenen...). Where in the VM do you see "en" as suspected article though?

Let me check some of those cook books. As we know by now, "so nim" ("then take") is very common in cookbooks, so I can cross check that as well. Note that I am not an expert in German at all and will gladly be corrected by whoever knows better Smile

1) There is one called "Ein alemannisches Büchlein von guter Speise".

Quote:Niem ain leber und braut die und schnid darnach das usser darab und schnid die leber zu schnitlin und was darab geschnitten werd, das stoss in ainem morser und tuo ruggin brott und brügin und win oder essich (daran); darnach well es in ainer pfannen: das wirt ain leber pfeffer.

This would probably rule out Allemanisch, though for all I know this book is not representative at all.

2) Mittelniederdeutsches Kochbuch, 15thc

Quote:wyltu maken eyn gud mo:es van eppelen, dat me thohandes eten schal, so nym gude gaderlinghe edder flakeeppele

3) Grazer Hausbuch, 15thc (Austro-Bavarian?)

Quote:Tem wildw machen ein guet air von mandel so nymb den mandel vnd Stoß in chlain

Note: I checked three different Bavarian manuscripts and in all three the "nim" verb ends in -b.

4) One in southern Dutch for good measure. To my surprise, the use of "so..." for "then do..." exists here as well, but in all examples I've seen so far, the word for "take" is spelled with "e" instead of "i".
Quote:ende alst ghesoden es doet vercoelen, dan soo nemt die huut van al en wrijfse in eenen mortier
It seems that Swedish might be close to the behavior that I describe.

ein -> en
Stein -> sten
rein -> ren
einsam -> ensam

(09-08-2021, 11:19 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If you're looking for the indefinite article

From the statistics (frequency) perspective, it does not really matter which it is (article or numeral) as long as it's represented by the same n-gram. In fact, indefinite articles descend to the numeral "one" anyway.

(09-08-2021, 11:19 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Where in the VM do you see "en" as suspected article though?

I will explain this later in the evening when I have more time. The trail has been a bit irregular, so far it's nothing more than just quick-checking some guesses.
In Alemannic:

"en" pronounced "än": en Maa / a man Sometimes just "n Maa".  ( one, or a man )
"ä" ä Frau / woman
"äs Chind / a child /   s Chind

Here it says masculine, feminine, neuter.
Anton: if you're just looking at the systematic occurrence of the bigram, all Germanic languages but English will score very high. Endings of plurals, verb forms.. In Dutch there is also the standalone "en" which means "and". (In the Middle Ages this was still "ende", but often shortened to "en").

Aga: was this reflected in ca. 15thc spelling? 

I am still not sure why the form for "one" or the indefinite article would be of interest for the VM marginalia though? Is this about "valden ubren"?
(10-08-2021, 11:34 AM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I am still not sure why the form for "one" or the indefinite article would be of interest for the VM marginalia though? Is this about "valden ubren"?

Yes, palden, pbren, umen, suppose some or all of them are variants of "ein", and to understand the meaning it's to be read as such, which may give it a new turn (or may not).

But this is a sideway issue, its implication on the VMS would be that if it is true and if this Germanic language/dialect is the plain text language, then we'd expect the same behaviour of the underlay plain text - that it features "en" instead of "ein"
So here's some insight. I had an idea that four bigrams ar, or, al and ol may stand for low numbers such as 1, 2, 3, 4, or for low prime numbers, such as 1, 2, 3, 5 - anyway, for some numbers under 10. The reasons why I thought so were more of the nature of guess, in particular there's the aror in f116v, for which being a quantifier is one of the strongest possibilities, and also there's the aralarar in the center of the diagram of f57v. Within the set of the four central vords, this one is clearly outstanding in terms of morphology, that's why I thought it might be something numeric. I expect basic numbers to be represented by vords not of considerable length, that is why I think bigrams are appropriate for that purpose.

About composites, such as e.g. arar or oral, whether they would as well stand for numbers or not, and if yes, then what's the principle of generation, - this is a tricky question, and I put it aside for now. The interested reader will find some additional considerations to that direction under the spoiler.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

As a side note, looking (in f57v) at the row of four supposed digits in succession, and assuming that digit concatenation may imply positional numbering, I naturally thought that that might stand for a year, perhaps the then current year. Three similar digits immediately suggest the year 1411 (meaning ar = 1, al = 4) - to be in line with the MS dating. Interestingly, in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. one may also imagine disguised "1411". However, the idea that amongst the four bigrams ar stands for 1 is not supported by the frequency counts. As we discovered in the numerals frequency thread, one is the most frequent numeral, and in this role we foresee ol with its prevailing count of 538. or (366), ar (352) and al (260) follow.

This is where I moved to the idea of concatenation, taking some form of German plain text as the working hypothesis (this may work also for any other language where "one" and the indefinite article are the same thing) and supposing that if this principle of concatenation is valid, then we would expect quite a number of occurrences of ol- as prefix and -ol as suffix - because in German it is so for the trigram "ein". Which we do, but the question is of the behaviour pattern. I compared the behaviour of ol with the behaviour of "ein" in the medieval German cookbook referenced by Koen. The results were as follows.

In the cookbook, "ein" occurs in 6,0% of words, while ol in the Voynich occurs in 14,7% of vords (if we take Q20 only, that drops to 10,4%). The distinct match "ein" is 3,2% versus 1,4% for ol. 2,2% of words in the cookbook begin with "ein-" (distinct matches excluded hereinafter), while 2,8% of vords begin with ol-. So far so good, it's more or less on par. But when we take words ending with "-ein", those are very few in number - only 0,2%. While in the VMS the huge number of 8,1% of vords end with -ol.

But if we look, in the cookbook, at words ending with "-en" instead, they comprise 7,6% of all words! While words starting with "en-" are, on the contrary, very rare - only 0,1%. In other words, words rarely start with "en-" and often end with "-en". It's all opposite with "ein" - words start with "ein-" much more often than they end with "-ein". Respectively, if we combine "ein" and "en", then:

- words starting either with "ein-" or "en-" are 2,3% in total
- words ending either with "-ein" or "-en" are 7,8% in total

Which is on par with the behavior of ol as prefix and suffix.

Interestingly, "en" occurs in 14,7% of words in the cookbook (nice coincidence with the respective count for ol), and if we combine that with "ein", that would be 14,7+6,0 = 20,7% of words, - or rather somewhat lower than that, because there are words containing both "en" and "ein" at the same time. Even if as high as 20,7%, this is closer to the 14,7% of ol than 6,0% of pure "ein" is. As for distinct matches top-up, there are no distinct matches of "en".

Hence my idea of a dialect which does not distinguish between "en" and "ein" - at least in prefixes and suffixes.

... One may wonder: if concatenation holds true and ol = ein/en (or one etc), then what would be olol? "Einein" or "oneone"? The more so for other quad-grams, it makes no sense. At least in developed languages we have no words like "twotwo" or "fourthree". This brings the need to suppose that, for example, concatenation as the vord-forming mechanism is not universal and there are rules, or maybe markers, according to which it is, or is not, triggered.

You see that all this is but a handful of raw ideas which require further development and verification, for which I haven't time at the moment, and those normally would not be published, but insofar you asked, then here you are...
The theory joins together two things, which I feel need explaining:
  • That the four first numbers are so similar in sound and shape. Literally only two vowels and two consonants. So you would need to propose a constructed language for this to be true.
  • The second part of the hypothesis relies on statistics form Germanic languages.
How can these be squared? The text is written in Germanic, but not the numbers (except one)?

(As for numeral systems, if the text isn't writing out numbers in full, nor using specific numerals, then the writing system probably assigned values to each glyphs and used them in an additive system. This alphabetic numeral system was really common.)
If this be called a theory, then it's rather two different theories, and I jumped from one to the other in the course of thought. The first one is about four "basic" numbers represented by bigrams, the other one is about ol preserving its plain text mapping in concatenation with other chunks. The two can be reconciled by supposing that these "basic" bigrams preserve their "numeric" essensc only as standalone or when concatenated with each other. However, the problem would be when other bigrams beside ol appear as prefixes or suffixes, while "ein" is a perfect prefix or suffux, the same cannot be said about "zwei" or "drei".

(10-08-2021, 09:32 PM)Emma May Smith Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.That the four first numbers are so similar in sound and shape. Literally only two vowels and two consonants. So you would need to propose a constructed language for this to be true.

Not necessarily constructed language. A nomenclator code would do.
@Koen
I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
"en and er are common endings, but also prefixes.
"en is not = end" it would be "s'end, z'end" the end, zuende.

" ein, ain, en, än, ä " equals ein / one, but sometimes also der, die das. the
Pages: 1 2