The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: specific names of the siglum used on SH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Names of the scribal sigla that were in use by medieval scribes are often referred to as glyphs, marks or
Tironian notes, which is a general term and does not refer to a specific symbol.

So there are for example: the breves (ĕ), acutes (ó), apices (u᷄), the thorn, the rotunda, ampersand, etc,

But what is the name referring to the curl that is used on the CH to become SH?

If there is no name, can we agree on a name for it?
(02-06-2021, 11:22 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Names of the scribal sigla that were in use by medieval scribes are often referred to as glyphs, marks or
Tironian notes, which is a general term and does not refer to a specific symbol.

So there are for example: the breves (ĕ), acutes (ó), apices (u᷄), the thorn, the rotunda, ampersand, etc,

But what is the name referring to the curl that is used on the CH to become SH?

If there is no name, can we agree on a name for it?

If it were Latin, it would be a macron. Sometimes they are straight, sometimes curved, but the meaning was usually the same EXCEPT, that some scribes used the straight macron mostly for "m" (sometimes "n") and reserved the curved one (or the smoke-shaped one) for er/re/ir/ri, as in v'sus (versus). It's like an apostrophe except that we use one and they had a bunch of them.
I suppose you  are talking about EVA-S, it is an obvious curved abbreviation stroke/sign, whatever you call it and whatever it means in this case
(02-06-2021, 11:22 PM)Davidsch Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.what is the name referring to the curl that is used on the CH to become SH?

No idea. The closest i could find is:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
As I mentioned above, in languages that use Latin scribal abbreviations, the curved or wiggly macron most often represents er/re/ir/ri but can stand for more letters (or homonyms). It is similar to modern apostrophe. The missing letters are known by context. It is a common symbol; most scribes used it.

Here is a quick grab of some examples:

[Image: SampleMacrons.png]
There are some examples in German, in several dialects.

In one, it is a (ü) rather than a (v').  " v'ber / über ".  over
Basically it is a circumflex the way it was used in contemporary Greek mss. and is used in printed Greek mss. until today and it was commonly used as the examples above show, but not as a circumflex but as a sign for an abbr. It is difficult to say if it was an independent Latin invention or derived from the knowledge of Greek mss.
(04-06-2021, 07:17 AM)Aga Tentakulus Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.There are some examples in German, in several dialects.

In one, it is a (ü) rather than a (v').  " v'ber / über ".  over

Yes, sometimes they wrote the umlaut as a cap (similar to VMS), or sometimes a small shape that looked like "c" (usually superscripted) but which we would now sometimes substitute as "e" (not superscripted) if it's a keyboard without an umlaut symbol. I have a few examples of those, but they tend to be older. By the 15th century, they were either leaving it out, or starting to write it as we do in modern script.

Some scribes used two symbols, one for the ü sound, the other (often a small "o") for an "oo" sound, like these:

[attachment=5577]

Here's one that combines the two dots into a cap:

[attachment=5578]

When I see it written like a small "c" shape (occasionally a small "e" shape), it's usually earlier than 15th century, but here is one from the 15th century:

[attachment=5579]
The umlaut was always written either as a superscripted e (not c or cap) or as an e following the vocal
Sorry, Helmut, I wasn't clear. I should have written "c-shape".

It represents e, but they sometimes wrote "e" so it looked like "c" (because it was small the crossbar wasn't very visible or was left out). I was referring to the shape (not the letter) but looking back at the way I worded it, I should have said "c-shape" rather than "c".
Pages: 1 2 3