The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: Domus Aurea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody ! 
I came across a youtibe video in Russian that tries to explain the rosettes page like the map of ancient Rome, including Nero's Domus aurea. 
Has such a proposal already been discussed on the forum?

I add the link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (double the speed!)
(28-03-2021, 06:21 PM)Ruby Novacna Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hello everybody ! 
I came across a youtibe video in Russian that tries to explain the rosettes page like the map of ancient Rome, including Nero's Domus aurea. 
Has such a proposal already been discussed on the forum?

I add the link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. (double the speed!)

I am not aware of one based around Rome. There have been a few of map interpretations of the Rosettes page, which vary in scale, type and level of detail. Then there are a few non-map interpretations based around cosmological or elemental analyses, though they tend to lack detail. Then there are theories which claim to explain just a part of the page, these theories from my experience also often lack detail or specifics.
I have a long list of "real" places that might be represented by the rosettes and one of them was the hills of Rome. But I've never had time to write them all up and Rome is one I never finished.

What made me think of Rome was the separate rosettes (that might represent hills) and the oval structure on the top left. It occurred to me it might represent a coloseum. It wasn't just the shape, but also the wavy patterns in the middle. In olden days they would sometimes flood them to enact marine battles or water sports.

But every time I tried to account for all the rosettes in the context of Rome I would stall because the other ideas on my list seemed to fit better. So... I never worked out anything I felt was plausible for all the different parts of the folio.
Wasn't the Domus Aurea rediscovered too late for our purpose? I remember that its discovery supposedly influenced the early renaissance.
I double checked on the wiki:

Quote:When a young Roman inadvertently fell through a cleft in the Esquiline hillside at the end of the 15th century, he found himself in a strange cave or grotto filled with painted figures.[18] Soon the young artists of Rome were having themselves let down on boards knotted to ropes to see for themselves.[50] The Fourth Style frescoes that were uncovered then have faded to pale gray stains on the plaster now, but the effect of these freshly rediscovered Grotesque[51] decorations was electrifying in the early Renaissance, which was just arriving in Rome.

When Raphael and Michelangelo crawled underground and were let down shafts to study them, the paintings were a revelation of the true world of antiquity.
What I liked about this theory is the identification of Tiberina Island. Can the label be the name of the island?
(28-03-2021, 06:46 PM)Koen G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Wasn't the Domus Aurea rediscovered too late for our purpose?
Before the rediscovery of Domus Aurea, I believe there were descriptions of these buildings?
Sure, Sueton, Life of Nero