The Voynich Ninja

Full Version: The Thing as compared to the Other Thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I know we already have a thread about the Thing, but I wondered specifically: what would we make of the Thing if we also have to take into account the Other Thing? Both Things are too similar to be a coincidence, but they also have differences. 

[attachment=5158]

The two main differences are:

- the little "spike"
- the way it's held

Of course, the way items are held in the VM is always weird and apparently somehow symbolic - perhaps disconnected from the way the item is held in real life. But that does not mean the way items are held must be meaningless (au contraire), and the fact is that these two are held differently.

(In fact, the nymph with the Other Thing is one of the very few examples where an object other than pipes is held in the hand closest to the viewer).

Within the context of spinning, the change of position and hands can be explained: the distaff is held up, while the spindle is held down in the other hand. See for example Thenaud's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.. But there is also a problem here: if one of them has to end in a point, it must be the spindle, since it has to be spun like a top. Putting a spike on the distaff and not the spindle is asking for someone to be poked in the eye.

I was again reminded of the Things when I saw images of the parable of The Wise and Foolish Virgins, a popular motif in manuscript art. The wise virgins have enough oil to keep their lamp burning (up) while the foolish virgins' flames have gone out and their lamps are held down. 

[attachment=5159]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Granted, the shape of the Things is unlike that of oil lamps. But it struck me that the presence or absence of the spike coincides with flame on/off. Selecting the most suitable Virgins for comparison:

[attachment=5160]

Is there anything else that may explain these objects in relation to one another?
What cracks me up about the parable is that the wise virgins didn't remain in that state for very long, whereas the foolish virgins... did

Anyway.

What strikes is me is that both of your examples have prominent pudendas, as opposed to most of the nymphs. Look at the one on the right ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ?)
Look, for example, at the nymphs on f80r. We have a pregnant one; another being chased by an obvious male; in all, 15 women doing different things and not one obvious sexual organ depicted.
(The one being chased by the male appears to have some sort of semi transparent wrapping around her body)
Which makes me suspect that the article is either sexual or reproductive in nature.
this thing kind of resembles an ocarina.

she even looks as if shes blowing.

its weird that its not at her mouth though.

[Image: fourth-slide.jpg]

source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

or a Peruvian pre Columbian gourde flute:
[Image: gourd-flute-1210323b.jpg]

[Image: cdc99ab75592bdd60320c3ebd2484360.jpg]

Or even possibly an instrument like the violas here

[Image: c574898a4daa7fba09aec80006d03501.jpg]

[Image: e0cbc5db7b6e19a855082fb4347b1b0d.jpg]
There are many things the thing resembles. My question is, why do we have one with a spike and one without? Surely, taking this into account should help us navigate the options. 

David: yeah this must be the worst of all parables. Also, the good virgins refuse to share their oil with the ones who forgot. The meaning is that one is responsible for one's own virtues, but it makes for a pretty weird story about selfish virgins on the surface.
Funny !

When I look at both pictures side by side, it seems to me as if she wants to exchange the work for a wedding ring. Tongue
Those are good examples, Koen. I had not thought to relate the torches to the "thing" (which looks vaguely like a loaded spindle) but the similarity in postures is provocative.

Side note: For those not yet familiar with Ecclesia vs Synagoga: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I also had not noted that the spike-like point was missing from one of them. David's observation about these two being more genitally explicit is important too. When this happens in the VMS, it always seems to be deliberate.
Side-side note: as far as I can tell, the instance where they introduced Ecclesia and Synagoga into the wise/foolish virgins illustration appears to be exceptional. Usually it's just the virgins. Illustrations of the parable are widespread and pretty consistent (see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. )
In many instances Ecclesia and Synagoga are single figures rather than a row of figures.

One example (the objects held by the figures to identify them as Christian or Jewish are not always the same):

Another side note from the same manuscript. The chalices with blood are interesting because they are similar to the way the Ecclesia torch is sometimes drawn:

Here is an early-medieval example (figures are explicitly labeled) from Gianni Dagli Orti:

And an early one from Liber Floridus with chalice and staff (the Pauper's Bible aslso has chalice and staff):
Or this is just a view from another angle. Therefore the spike is invisible on the second image.
(18-01-2021, 04:04 PM)Searcher Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Or this is just a view from another angle. Therefore the spike is invisible on the second image.

I thought about this too, but there is no perspective that makes sense. As I see it, the spike should have been present as a triangle, kind of like the red one I drew below. Instead, we now see a slit or opening where it should be.

[attachment=5182]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5